PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:29 am 
MetalReviews Staff

You're welcome to comment on:
Quote:
Tool - Fear Inoculum
Alt/Progressive Rock
Quoted: 70 / 100

Click here to see the review.

Post subject: Re: Tool - Fear Inoculum (#10194)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:05 pm 
Ist Krieg

85/100 for me.

I like it a lot but it's probably not as good to me as Lateralus was when I first heard it. Solid album though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:30 am 
Ist Krieg

Initially I played this album on repeat about 12 times when it came out and was convinced it was better than everything but Lateralus and rivaled Aenima. Off that initial high, I'll split the difference on a number between Zad and husker because while I agree mostly with Zad on his review (Invincible is a career highlight for the band, in my top 3 tracks ever by them) and he highlights my other favorite tracks I guess I just don't feel harshly enough to call it the worst thing they ever did. I like Chocolate Chip Trip and just skip the other interludes like I usually skipped the Tool interludes. The second half of Undertow (save the brilliant title track) really drags for me and I generally feel the same way about 10,000 days (with Right in Two functioning as Undertow did). Here the title track and second half of Culling Voices are fairly weak (loved the balladish first half) but I can't say this record is worse than those two, but I guess we'll see if time changes opinions.

If I were them I would definitely wouldn't have released Fear Inoculum as the 'single'. I guess they don't care because the record still went #1, but why not edit the two repetitions of the main theme in the first part of Invincible and then the catchy as hell vocal melody that leads the last 2 minutes of the song into a 5-6 minuteish radio single? Could have rivaled Schism as their biggest hit imo.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:39 am 
Ist Krieg

Also, is anyone familiar with Failure? They opened for Tool maybe 3 or 4 times in their career, and remain close friends with the band. Maynard covered their track 'The Nurse Who Loved Me' on the second A Perfect Circle record. Fantastic Planet is one of the greatest 'alt' rock records in the 90s, and I've been listening to a hell of a lot of somewhat obscure 90s UK and USA alt rock lately (Failure, Hum, Catherine Wheel, Veruca Salt, Lush, Swervedriver being my favorites). One of Failure's heaviest tracks in case you were curious https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2c17Ji4MwY