Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:14 pm

Post subject: Jon Oliva's Pain - 'Tage Mahal (#2472)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:17 pm 
You're welcome to comment on:
Quote:
Jon Oliva's Pain - 'Tage Mahal
Old School Keyboard Influenced Metal
Quoted: 90 / 100

Click here to see the review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:28 pm 
Metal Slave

i did not expect oliva's album to get such a high score.it's not that i've heard the album it's that all the savatage related album (except the caffery one) after wake of magellan got hammered by the critics. i am really happy to see high scores on this album and i deffinetly gonna buy it.I actually read somewhere (i beleive it was metal hammer) that savatage won't make anymore albums and that are finished as a band (i beleive it was caffery that said that). Do you guys know if it is true?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:40 pm 
Svartalfar

I can't wait to get this! Jon remains my favorite vocalist of all time and Savatage is my second favorite band. Even if the music is only OK (which I expect it to be better) Jons vocals will be certain to take it up a couple notches. Good to see another positive review of this disc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:07 am 
Jon's Back, Enough Said.

Brent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:31 am 
Metal Servant

Yes, this album is definitely a 90...I might've even scored a bit higher. Jon Oliva has definitely put out a killer album here. It has flavors of the Zak-era Savatage, but mostly it reminds me of old Savatage, including resurrecting old Sava song titles, riffs, and verses. If you're into Savatage anywhere near myself, you will find 'Tage Mahal a very nice pacifier while we wait for the next Savatage record and TSO's Romanov.

Savatage is planning a 2005 tour celebrating their 25th anniversary. They also plan to release a 25th anniversary DVD and supposedly a new Savatage album. Last February, Jon said that work had been done on the new Sava, but it was nowhere near done. He all but stated that producer Paul O'Neil was directly behind the delay (Paul does tend to be a perfectionist and often gets his fingers in too many pies at once).

I truly believe there will be a new Savatage album. It may also be the last. But as long as Jon Oliva is writing and recording something, I'll be happy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:18 am 
Svartalfar

Just gave it a spin, and this album fucking owns. I always kind of preferred Zack to Jon as a vocalist in Savatage, and so I loved Circle II Circle very much, but Jon is showing me here that I just can't afford to ignore his talent. Talk about a solid album, man. I'll be playing this one for months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:47 am 
Einherjar

Woooow, just got this the other day. Until now, Nightwish's "Once" was my fav album of the year, but I do enjoy this alot more.. This deserves Album of the year IMO. Excellent work by Oliva, I cant get enough of him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:58 pm 
Banned Mallcore Kiddie

chibitotoro wrote:
Just gave it a spin, and this album fucking owns. I always kind of preferred Zack to Jon as a vocalist in Savatage, and so I loved Circle II Circle very much, but Jon is showing me here that I just can't afford to ignore his talent. Talk about a solid album, man. I'll be playing this one for months.

I like Jon's singing much better than Zack's. Oliva is amazing, especially on those older albums--he got energy, and intensity and emotion, while Zack just puts me to sleep--he is just a one trick pony that sings in the same style all the time. Oliva has so much more richness and variation in his voice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:33 pm 
Einherjar

Quote:
I like Jon's singing much better than Zack's. Oliva is amazing, especially on those older albums--he got energy, and intensity and emotion, while Zack just puts me to sleep--he is just a one trick pony that sings in the same style all the time. Oliva has so much more richness and variation in his voice.

I agree, Savatage with Jon is sooo much more exciting, Zak is alright, I enjoy Savatage with him but only about 1/10th of how much I enjoy them with Jon. I cant even really listen to Circle II Circle, the songs are just boring. But everything Jon touches seems to turn to gold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:47 pm 
Svartalfar

I just saw Jon's concert earlier this month and he sounds as great as ever. This band is really tight and they played Savatage songs as if they have been doing it for decades. Jon's voice sounded better than it did in the Criss Oliva Memorial. The concert was in a small venue here in Saint Petersburg Florida so I am not sure if that affected my perception but this was an awsome concert, and dare I say, Pain played Savatage song better than Savatage themselves (and I like all the Savatage guys). If anyone has the chance to see them please do. If you don't you will be missing out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:52 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Hate to dig up an old thread. Well, actually, no I don't. I lied.

I just bought this album and I'm really enjoying it. I love the philharmonic hall feel it has going on. It sounds a bit like Jon Oliva is leading an orchestra trained to play kickass rockin' metal. Can't wait for the follow up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:53 pm 
This is a killer album, could have been a great Savatage album if he wanted it to be. Probably would have been received better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:57 am 
Einherjar

I too enjoy this album quite a bit. I've never listened to Savatage though so maybe I need to give them a try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:50 am 
Orion wrote:
I too enjoy this album quite a bit. I've never listened to Savatage though so maybe I need to give them a try.

You sure as hell do!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:27 am 
Einherjar

Jon Oliva has earned the title of The Man by me. I love love love everything he does, Savatage with him kills Savatage without him, Doctor Butcher is the shit, TSO pwns and Jon Oliva's Pain was my favorite release of 2004. Maniacal Renderings should be out in about 2 months I think (Follow-up to tage Mahal).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:44 am 
The Silent Man wrote:
Jon Oliva has earned the title of The Man by me. I love love love everything he does, Savatage with him kills Savatage without him, Doctor Butcher is the shit, TSO pwns and Jon Oliva's Pain was my favorite release of 2004. Maniacal Renderings should be out in about 2 months I think (Follow-up to tage Mahal).

I don't know man, I think every Zak Steven Sava album kicks ass while there are a few stinkers with Jon on vocals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:12 pm 
Einherjar

Eyesore wrote:
The Silent Man wrote:

I don't know man, I think every Zak Steven Sava album kicks ass while there are a few stinkers with Jon on vocals.

I like Zak/Sava albums. I own Dead Winter Dead and I love it (oddly though my favorite songs are the two that Jon sing on). Ive heard the rest as well and they are all good but nowheres near the quality of The Dungeons Are Calling, Hall of The Mountain King, Gutter Ballet, Streets, and Poets & Madmen.

The only albums from Jon I would consider stinkers are: Power of The Night (Some good songs on it, but overall just nothing special) and Fight For The Rock (Hands down the worst album with the Sava name on it).