Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:31 am 
The Commish

Same.

Must be quite the classic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:32 am 
Ist Krieg

A good album, but wouldn't be my pick for classic from this band. Prefer Deggial.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:46 pm 
Svartalfar

DevotedWalnut wrote:
Same.

Do I sense sarcasm? :D It doesn't really surprise me that people haven't listened to Therion. For a band that can give you the closest thing to a Beethoven/Mozart style experience in todays modern music, it is bound to be overlooked by a vast majority of people in my opinion. Especially within the young generation of people I have to unfortunately associate myself with everyday who would rather glorify music that sounds like Kayne West or Justin Bieber, and call anything with orchestra or a classical sound to be deemed uncool or stupid. What a sad day for music when everyone will think that way.........=(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:12 pm 
Metal King

Jared@MetalReviews wrote:

For a band that can give you the closest thing to a Beethoven/Mozart style experience (

That one line was enough. I need to check out some Therion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:33 pm 
Metal Lord

Theli and Gothic Kabbalah are the only two Therion records I ever heard. I liked Theli while I found Gothic Kabbalah somewhat boring. I really don't know, quality band no doubt about it but i really have to be in a certain mood to enjoy them thoroughly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:34 am 
Svartalfar

"Theli" gets most of the attention (surprised it hasn't been reviewed), but I enjoyed this album as well. The first two songs are fantastic.

Jared, if you enjoy the fusion of classical and metal, check out anything from Haggard. IMO they are light-years beyond Therion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:04 am 
Ist Krieg

Steadfast wrote:
IMO they are light-years beyond Therion.

Strongly disagree with that statement. I've heard everything from both bands, and while Haggard has some fantastic moments (Awaiting the Centuries title track!), Therion wins majorly on consistency, especially albums like Deggial, Lepaca Kliffoth, and Secret of the Runes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:51 am 
Svartalfar

Steadfast wrote:
"Theli" gets most of the attention (surprised it hasn't been reviewed), but I enjoyed this album as well. The first two songs are fantastic.

Jared, if you enjoy the fusion of classical and metal, check out anything from Haggard. IMO they are light-years beyond Therion.

Definitely will be checking them out. Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:53 am 
Svartalfar

Thy Serpent wrote:

For a band that can give you the closest thing to a Beethoven/Mozart style experience (

That one line was enough. I need to check out some Therion.

Absolutely fantastic stuff......Vovin, Deggial, and Secret of the Runes are my top 3 choices. Can't say I was into later work like Gothic Kaballah. Even their death metal style in the past is worth checking out too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:58 am 
MetalReviews Staff

I have a special relationship with this album. Personally I prefer Theli, because, as you said, Jared, this was a major defining and bold turn for this band. Things have never been the same for them afterwards. But Vovin is fantastic. My daughter was born soon after I got this album, and she was a terrible sleeper until she got to be 6-8 months. To put her to sleep was a struggle. The only way she fell asleep, you had to put her in a bouncy seat, turn the lights off, play some music, and rock her to sleep. Vovin was her favorite. When everything else failed, Vovin didn't. I want to say in the first half of 2000 I listened to this album, different tracks, daily. And I never began to hate. It uncovered something new every time, and put the whole family at peace. Me and wife laugh about it now, but then it wasn't funny, until we discovered what the little monster loved.
And, yes, Haggard is good. Therion is more consistent and more prolific, more known, but you would love Haggard. Awakening the Centuries is the best. The other one is Sobre Nocturne, only one album issued by the band, but if you want to hear it, PM me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:15 am 
Metal King

Absolutely fantastic stuff......Vovin, Deggial, and Secret of the Runes are my top 3 choices. Can't say I was into later work like Gothic Kaballah. Even their death metal style in the past is worth checking out too.

Thanks for the recomms. I do see Theli being mentioned too, so will look out for that . Haggard is one of the lousiest names for a band. But going by the posts above, I will give them a listen as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:36 pm 
Svartalfar

Alex@MetalReviews.com wrote:
I have a special relationship with this album. Personally I prefer Theli, because, as you said, Jared, this was a major defining and bold turn for this band. Things have never been the same for them afterwards. But Vovin is fantastic. My daughter was born soon after I got this album, and she was a terrible sleeper until she got to be 6-8 months. To put her to sleep was a struggle. The only way she fell asleep, you had to put her in a bouncy seat, turn the lights off, play some music, and rock her to sleep. Vovin was her favorite. When everything else failed, Vovin didn't. I want to say in the first half of 2000 I listened to this album, different tracks, daily. And I never began to hate. It uncovered something new every time, and put the whole family at peace. Me and wife laugh about it now, but then it wasn't funny, until we discovered what the little monster loved.
And, yes, Haggard is good. Therion is more consistent and more prolific, more known, but you would love Haggard. Awakening the Centuries is the best. The other one is Sobre Nocturne, only one album issued by the band, but if you want to hear it, PM me.

I have to agree. Even after listening to it now a couple times while I was writing the review, it still has something new to bring to the table ever single time for me. Such an amazing piece.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:47 pm 
Metal King

DevotedWalnut wrote:
Same.

Do I sense sarcasm? :D It doesn't really surprise me that people haven't listened to Therion. For a band that can give you the closest thing to a Beethoven/Mozart style experience in todays modern music, it is bound to be overlooked by a vast majority of people in my opinion. Especially within the young generation of people I have to unfortunately associate myself with everyday who would rather glorify music that sounds like Kayne West or Justin Bieber, and call anything with orchestra or a classical sound to be deemed uncool or stupid. What a sad day for music when everyone will think that way.........=(

I don't listen to Kayne West or Justin Bieber and i'm a professional classical musician playing in an orchestra,but i think that Therion's music is just not very good... when compared to other metal bands, and really terrible when compared to Mozart or Beethoven.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:16 am 
Metal Lord

Yeah, I think Deggial would get the edge for me over Vovin. The self titled song on that album is one of their finest moments. Hard not to give Runes the nod over this as well.