Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:36 am

Post subject: The song review thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:19 am 
Einherjar

Is probably the best thread I've seen in a few years, I know we had a decent argument over it about a year ago when Stefan proposed the idea but I'm glad we've finally got one working and actively supported by the staff. A few proposed ideas to keep things smooth:

1. A Placeholder for a song in case it was missed by a the poster that came after, that way when someone reviews the following track posted the song that was missed can be reviewed by a user instead of being missed.

2. A spoiler in case the song is non-metal? This is strictly up to the mods on this one.

*Not much else to add at this point, Zad proposed making a thread for each subgenre but I personally think that might be a bit too chaotic and might not generate the same interesting conversation as a one all inclusive thread.

Thoughts and anything else to add to make the thread the great running operation it is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:37 am 
Einherjar

good suggestions, I have another one which could require some extra work by the mods

on the other forum we have a (what the hell are they called) thing which inserts videos in much the same way as the image function so that a song can be rated right then and there as opposed to opening a new tab every tie one wants to review a song

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:47 am 
Karma Whore

The problem is Metal Reviews' forums are run by an old software that doesn't allow this kind of trick.
We've been discussing an update for the forums' software for quite some time but it seems to be either too pricey or too complicated to come to fruition.

Anyway, Chris knows best about these things, you should PM him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:23 am 
Ist Krieg

People just need to open their eyes and find the last song posted. And spoilers for non-metal songs is fucking stupid. I doubt anyone has posted Enrique Iglesias or Britney Spears (because as the only person here who probably enjoys that shit I know I haven't posted it). Non-metal in the veins of PJ Harvey, Shellac or Nick Cave, for instance, should gel with some members here. If it doesn't say why you don't like it and move on. If you don't have three minutes to spare then don't post on that song and wait till someone does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:00 am 
Einherjar

I'm all for a non metal track review thread.

But one thing at a time here, its been a long time coming for the powers that be to even compromise with making a review thread to begin with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:18 pm 
Ist Krieg

Tehom wrote:
I'm all for a non metal track review thread.

But one thing at a time here, its been a long time coming for the powers that be to even compromise with making a review thread to begin with.
It's not a review thread. It's just a way of sharing music and sharing initial reactions to what other folks listen to. And the fact that some folks listen to non-metal things means it should be included in that. It has no value if you click solely on what you want to hear, because it wouldn't open you up to new things.