Quote:
Novembre - Classica
Doom/Gothic/Progressive Metal
Quoted: 88 / 100

Click here to see the review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:06 pm 
Metal King

really good man. when i first heard "The Blue" the same thing happened to me. i thought to myself "this isnt very interesting" and i shelved it for about 5 or 6 months. when i went back to it i listened to it a couple times and little things started jumping out at me. ive since become rather fond of Novembre.

Great review sir!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:22 pm 
Ist Krieg

I remember this album having a few standout tracks and bunch of less than interesting ones.

I think I've heard everything from this band and I'd say their two best albums were Novembrine Waltz and the rerecording of their first album, Dreams d'Azur. Novembrine Waltz sounds similar to Classica, just with more standout points, Dreams d'Azur is a collection of great tracks that meshes more progressive musicianship with Opeth/MDB/and Edge of Sanity.

I agree with Milan that their middle and later periods showed them developing their own sound, with less overt influence from the above mentioned bands, problem is, that period (partially excepting Novembrine Waltz) follows a pattern of generally being boring.

When I want to hear Novembre, I listen to Dreams D'azur, even if it less original than what followed. Sample track http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boAekWd1bmI

Edit: apparently this album is very hard to find now, fortunately it is all right there on youtube.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:53 pm 
I live with my parents!

Intriguing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:21 pm 
Einherjar

Dat ass :omfg:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:44 pm 
I live with my parents!

AlexandeR wrote:
Dat ass :omfg:

And yes, also the ass :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:03 am 
Einherjar

emperorblackdoom wrote:
Edit: apparently this album is very hard to find now, fortunately it is all right there on youtube.

Really? It was re-released a couple of years ago as part of a bigger wave of early Peaceville classics, I believe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:03 am 
Ist Krieg

Karmakosmonaut wrote:
emperorblackdoom wrote:

Really? It was re-released a couple of years ago as part of a bigger wave of early Peaceville classics, I believe.

Was talking about Dreams D'Azure only, Classica appears available thanks to the re-release you were talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:17 am 
Einherjar

Thanks Snake! As stated in my review, my initial reaction to the album was the same as yours towards The Blue. I haven't heard that one yet (I'll get on that) but in a weird way I find it intriguing that later albums of theirs still trigger that same reaction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:22 am 
Einherjar

emperorblackdoom wrote:
I remember this album having a few standout tracks and bunch of less than interesting ones.

I think I've heard everything from this band and I'd say their two best albums were Novembrine Waltz and the rerecording of their first album, Dreams d'Azur. Novembrine Waltz sounds similar to Classica, just with more standout points, Dreams d'Azur is a collection of great tracks that meshes more progressive musicianship with Opeth/MDB/and Edge of Sanity.

I agree with Milan that their middle and later periods showed them developing their own sound, with less overt influence from the above mentioned bands, problem is, that period (partially excepting Novembrine Waltz) follows a pattern of generally being boring.

When I want to hear Novembre, I listen to Dreams D'azur, even if it less original than what followed. Sample track http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boAekWd1bmI

I only have this one and Novembrine Waltz. At first I wanted to review the latter because that one stood out to me more than Classica. Unfortunately there was already a review for it so I just reviewed this one. I'd say your description of Novembrine Waltz is quite accurate. And Dreams d'Azur sounds very appealing, I need to check it out sometime.

I assumed Classica would be very hard to find but to my surprise I found it in my local metalstore a while ago and it is indeed the reissue Karma mentioned.

@DI: Definitely check this band out, although now I'd recommend starting out with Novembrine Waltz or perhaps Dreams d'Azur (although I haven't heard it but I trust EBD's judgement).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:04 am 
I live with my parents!

Will do. Cheers.