Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:32 pm

Post subject: Artwork : Forces Of Darkness
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:03 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

This section is dedicated to propose metal bands with original and affordable artwork for their albums / demo / other projects. The images shown here can easily be bought for your projects / albums. If you're interested by any of the images in this forum, then don't hesitate to send me an email.

The forum format was used so that metalheads around the globe can give their opinions about the artwork displayed here. Constructive comments and critics will be highly appreciated ! Wherever you like it or hate it, please let us know why.

Always wanted to make an illustration like this, I wonder why I waited so long :). Hope you'll like it.

Artwork by Chris alias Saiyan (Manticora, Steel Prophet, Hubi Meisel,...)
More artwork here : Music Artwork

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:03 pm 
This one I like less, again. A number of things are wrong about it, let me see.

- First off, the trees. In terms of composition, I can see why something was needed to fill these corners, sadly though they seem like they were just placed there as an afterthought. The rest of the landscape has no trees in it, which makes you wonder. Either you could think of something to replace those trees, or you could add some in the background.

- The head in the sky. I've seen you doing it a number of times and none to my liking, but this is finally an instance where it works. Perhaps it could work even better if you made it blend into the sky a bit more? It would be more dramatical if it looked like a puff of cloud suddenly turning into a giant leering face, in my opinion.

- Symmetry. There is something wrong with the composition: the skeletal warrior on the right adds a lot of 'weight' in that corner (I hope you are familiar with such terms), and it has nothing on the left to balance it. As I recall you doing in some previous works, you could move the face to the top left corner; however, I think the composition should stay symmetrical as it works out nicely.

- The figures. They are quite good, but sadly they're all identical. Not what you'd expect from a shambling undead horde. Also I find their helmets a bit silly, it's probably the horns. Try making them curve downwards instead of upwards. Some more evident decay on their equipment would help too. And lastly, A LOT MORE OF THEM! Seriously, I only get the impression there's twenty of them. A way of getting this is placing your 'camera angle' a bit higher, so you look down on the horde and see it stretching to the horizon - or even better, to that leering face.

- Lastly, the palette. Either you go for a seering hot, burning theme in which case you should concentrate on yellow, orange and red, or (my preference) use very cold colours, greens, grays and blues.

I've been fiddling around with Photoshop lately, could I have your permission to fiddle around with this artwork a bit as well? Anyways, I hope my comments were useful to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:42 pm 
Sailor Man

Quote:

- First off, the trees. In terms of composition, I can see why something was needed to fill these corners, sadly though they seem like they were just placed there as an afterthought. The rest of the landscape has no trees in it, which makes you wonder. Either you could think of something to replace those trees, or you could add some in the background.

- The head in the sky. I've seen you doing it a number of times and none to my liking, but this is finally an instance where it works. Perhaps it could work even better if you made it blend into the sky a bit more? It would be more dramatical if it looked like a puff of cloud suddenly turning into a giant leering face, in my opinion.

- Symmetry. There is something wrong with the composition: the skeletal warrior on the right adds a lot of 'weight' in that corner (I hope you are familiar with such terms), and it has nothing on the left to balance it. As I recall you doing in some previous works, you could move the face to the top left corner; however, I think the composition should stay symmetrical as it works out nicely.

- The figures. They are quite good, but sadly they're all identical. Not what you'd expect from a shambling undead horde. Also I find their helmets a bit silly, it's probably the horns. Try making them curve downwards instead of upwards. Some more evident decay on their equipment would help too. And lastly, A LOT MORE OF THEM! Seriously, I only get the impression there's twenty of them. A way of getting this is placing your 'camera angle' a bit higher, so you look down on the horde and see it stretching to the horizon - or even better, to that leering face.

- Lastly, the palette. Either you go for a seering hot, burning theme in which case you should concentrate on yellow, orange and red, or (my preference) use very cold colours, greens, grays and blues.

I've been fiddling around with Photoshop lately, could I have your permission to fiddle around with this artwork a bit as well? Anyways, I hope my comments were useful to you.

I am going to call you the ART MASTER.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:46 pm 
Karma Whore

i would've called him an art freak :roll: :wink:

Post subject: nice constructive criticism, thank you !
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:02 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Thanks a lot for the constructive comments. You're right about many things. I can easily remove those trees anyway :). I work with tons of layers and always keep them so I can change things easily.

Yes your comments are most useful, thank you.

When I have a bit of time I'll try to see how I can correct some of the things... thanks

Chris

Slayer Of Kings wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:01 pm 
Dago wrote:

Fingon wrote:
i would've called him an art freak

Just call me the art bastard.

I've been attending art college for three years now, and will make it into my profession, so I aim to please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:19 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Iron Maiden goes grindcore, imo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:42 pm 
Karma Whore

Slayer Of Kings wrote:
Dago wrote:

Fingon wrote:
i would've called him an art freak

Just call me the art bastard.

I've been attending art college for three years now, and will make it into my profession, so I aim to please.

no shit :D ik dacht erover om KSO te gaan doen volgend jaar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:28 am 
Sailor Man

Zitto FLINGON!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:12 pm 
Fingon wrote:
no shit :D ik dacht erover om KSO te gaan doen volgend jaar.

Het hangt ervan af waar je het gaat doen, maar ik kan het wel aanraden.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:30 pm 
Karma Whore

Dago wrote:
Zitto FLINGON!

what the flying fuck does zitto mean?
is it sailor language? Or are you just drunk? Or both?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:33 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Slayer Of Kings wrote:

I disagree; I think the lack of symmetry works well. It makes the viewer feel off-kilter, which is how one should feel when faced with hordes of ravening undead (though I agree with you on the helmets - they put me in mind of huns).

Very good piece overall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:14 pm 
Sailor Man

Hey flingon zitto means shut up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:58 pm 
Karma Whore

Dago wrote:

so does: hou je kop nichterige zeeman! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:14 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Fingon wrote:
Dago wrote:

so does: hou je kop nichterige zeeman! :D

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:08 pm 
Metal Fighter

This one reminded me of some of the Crystal Eyes covers. It's ok, maybe could be better with some of the tweaking the other guy suggested. I didn't even notice that weight in the right corner unless he wouldn't have mentioned it :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:29 pm 
Svartalfar

makes me think of metal militia :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:15 am 
Metal Fighter

nice...but it looks too 3d...the ultimate aim of 3d graphics is to make it look like its not computer generated, i.e. total photorealism.

other than that its a nice pic. maybe a bit of photoshop can make it look less 3d/more painted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:17 am 
MetalReviews Staff

Indeed this is a good one!

I agree Praetor, apply the immage, put some light on it, and then mess with the curves...
I think it'll look less artificial then...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:50 pm 
Carnifex Umbris wrote:
Slayer Of Kings wrote:

I disagree; I think the lack of symmetry works well. It makes the viewer feel off-kilter, which is how one should feel when faced with hordes of ravening undead (though I agree with you on the helmets - they put me in mind of huns).

Very good piece overall.

Without balance in composition, an image seems awkward to look at, and only very rarely does this have a positive effect. Most likely it will end up tiring or irritating to look at. However, now that I think of my comment there again, I realise that by putting the band's logo in the top left corner, the lack of balance may well be solved.