Quote:
Ahab - The Divinity of Oceans
Funeral Doom
Quoted: 78 / 100

Click here to see the review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:26 am 
Metal Lord

I can't wait for this to finally come out!!!!I love the first one a ton,I hope this follows suit.What are your thoughts of this album in comparison to the first?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:34 am 
Sailor Man

I'll check this out, but i always thought the first one was extremely overrated. Take a band like Tyranny which receives half of the credit and it's miles better than this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:14 pm 
Ist Krieg

Call of the Wretched Sea is one of the best funeral doom albums ever created. I was reading Moby Dick again the time it came out, and it blew my mind. You actually feel like you're in the middle of the ocean, with the feeling of impeding doom. Awesome band. I cannot wait to check this one out, even though it's summer and I can't get into the mood of listening to something depressive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:34 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Xinen wrote:
I can't wait for this to finally come out!!!!I love the first one a ton,I hope this follows suit.What are your thoughts of this album in comparison to the first?

Well, as probably comes across in the review I'm not a big funeral doom listener, so I wasn't that familiar with the band at all before I got this through my letterbox. I prefer this one slightly, but I've only given the debut a couple of listens. Kathy seems to rate it very highly so I'll wait for his opinion on a comparison between the two :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:52 am 
Karma Whore

Kathaarian wrote:
Call of the Wretched Sea is one of the best funeral doom albums ever created. I was reading Moby Dick again the time it came out, and it blew my mind. You actually feel like you're in the middle of the ocean, with the feeling of impeding doom. Awesome band. I cannot wait to check this one out, even though it's summer and I can't get into the mood of listening to something depressive.

:dio: :dio:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:57 am 
Banned Mallcore Kiddie

i just started to listening to call of the wretched sea it isnt bad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:23 pm 
I live with my parents!

This album has more depth and dynamics than the last album. As for the review... It seems very uncertain and at some times seems a bit forced to even review this album. I think a fan of this genre of music should be reviewing this album. Someone with more enthusiasm for the music rather than someone that has a very small amount of appreciation for the music at all. Maybe a huge fan would be biased, but someone that can appreciates a piece of art like this with more passion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:38 am 
MetalReviews Staff

How deeply sorry I am that I couldn't force myself to enjoy the album to the same degree as DefineInfinity.

Also, I agree that only people who are truly passionate about a genre should be writing reviews of bands in it. That would lead to a tedious ghettoisation of certain reviewers producing fawning reviews of the same types of album week in week out, which is of course what we all want to see.

I mean, 78 / 100- what an awful score! Why didn't it get a Crap of the Month??

Actually, I'd forgotten all about this review but re-reading it now I think it's one of the rare ones I'm mostly satisfied with. Quite under-polished styllistically, but the arguments made seem sound enough with a couple of years' hindsight.

(EDIT: Actually, this is kind of a harsh post, but... whatevs)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:04 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

rio wrote:

Yes, like getting pelted with marshmellows in a mildly sarcastic way.

Look, I sympathise with any fan of anything who comes up against someone who doesn't appreciate the object of his affection to the same extent; we've all been there. But as a site which caters to many tastes, we can't satisfy everyone all of the time. And like Charles says, giving a certain genre only to its rabid fans won't produce good reviews. It'll produce the sort of empty-eyed worship that you see on lesser sites. I actively fight being pigeonholed in that way, reviewing as wide a range of metal (and other stuff!) as I possibly can. It's not just for you readers, it's for me - I once got to the stage where constantly facing weekly write-ups of crappy Darkthrone and The Haunted clones was burning me out on metal, let alone as a reviewer. Adding power metal and classic rock to my output helped challenge and improve my writing, and hopefully the website as a whole.

Now, in my opinion, good music can resist being criticised by those unused to it, and it's helpful to see an opposing point of view to help you understand why you like something so much. Charles reviewing funeral doom is like this - it's not like he did something Danny-ite and said how it's all so slow and boring, why not listen to some atmospheric thrash like Korn! He critiqued it from an intellectual viewpoint different to others, and did it damn well. Plus, let's not forget, 78 is a very good score.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:15 pm 
Ist Krieg

Goat wrote:
rio wrote:

lols ahoy.

Last edited by traptunderice on Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:38 pm 
Ist Krieg

Goat wrote:
rio wrote:

Look, I sympathise with any fan of anything who comes up against someone who doesn't appreciate the object of his affection to the same extent; we've all been there. But as a site which caters to many tastes, we can't satisfy everyone all of the time. And like Charles says, giving a certain genre only to its rabid fans won't produce good reviews. It'll produce the sort of empty-eyed worship that you see on lesser sites. I actively fight being pigeonholed in that way, reviewing as wide a range of metal (and other stuff!) as I possibly can. It's not just for you readers, it's for me - I once got to the stage where constantly facing weekly write-ups of crappy Darkthrone and The Haunted clones was burning me out on metal, let alone as a reviewer. Adding power metal and classic rock to my output helped challenge and improve my writing, and hopefully the website as a whole.

Now, in my opinion, good music can resist being criticised by those unused to it, and it's helpful to see an opposing point of view to help you understand why you like something so much. Charles reviewing funeral doom is like this - it's not like he did something Danny-ite and said how it's all so slow and boring, why not listen to some atmospheric thrash like Korn! He critiqued it from an intellectual viewpoint different to others, and did it damn well. Plus, let's not forget, 78 is a very good score.

I am a fan of Ahab, and I am also one of the biggest fans of funeral doom on the forum, but I don't think I'd give this album much more than an 82. Charles consistently avoids giving 95 to everything (which is good), and he's given strong reviews of other funeral doom like Void of Silence.

I grow weary of reviewers giving 95s to everything--as Zad notes, 78 actually is a good score.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:37 pm 
I live with my parents!

I was going to add that I would score this album no more than a 82-85. I find Rio's post quite amusing... In a good sense of course. I understand it was from a critical standpoint and after all that is the whole of a review, anyway (I don't like worship-like reviews, anyhow). I totally agree with Emperorblackdoom that the reviews that get a score in the high 90's are something that I find a bit hard to digest sometimes. And this sometimes happens in this site. It also happens because the band deserves a high score and sometimes not. A good example would be the score of latest Rotting Christ by Alex that did not really deserve it. I suppose the score of a review is highly personal and can vary in many ways. I appreciate your review Charles. My point was that it could have been a bit more passionate but I guess I was expecting too much out of the review of a excellent band. My score is just a bit different than your review after all so our opinions aren't oceans away. What I'm trying say is that it could have been written a bit better but then again a lot things can be in the same category!

Again... Your sarcastic approach was very interesting and entertaining, Charles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:56 pm 
Einherjar

Define Infinity wrote:
My score is just a bit different than your review after all so our opinions aren't oceans away.

I see what you did there.

This is a great album. Somehow I find Ahab to be one of the more accessible funeral doom bands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:24 pm 
I live with my parents!

Milan wrote:
Define Infinity wrote:
My score is just a bit different than your review after all so our opinions aren't oceans away.

I see what you did there.

This is a great album. Somehow I find Ahab to be one of the more accessible funeral doom bands.

That's a very good point.... Although I like 85% of the funeral doom material out there... Ahab seems easier to get into, this album in particular in comparison to their last one. As I have said before it's more diversified. Although I'm not a fan accessibility all that much, Ahab blends just the right amount melancholy, atmosphere, and altogether a massive sort of heaviness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:31 pm 
Karma Whore

Is there such thing as post-doom metal?
Just curious...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:42 pm 
I live with my parents!

The Annoying Frenchman wrote:
Is there such thing as post-doom metal?
Just curious...

Hmm... Good question. I guess it depends on how you categorize it. Nothing that comes to my mind. There is technical doom like Confessor but I still haven't heard or cannot recall at the moment any post-doom metal bands. That would be very cool to hear. Here is a link to some post-doom metal bands: http://www.last.fm/tag/post-doom%20metal I only know two of the bands and neither seems to be as post-doom... Maybe Hanging Garden. I cannot judge though--I haven't heard them in a long time. I suppose if one looks at in depth, sludge doom definitely has post-metal influences in a more abstract form.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:01 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

I was in a bit of a mood this morning.