Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:25 pm 
Svartalfar

Kuruus wrote:
dead1 wrote:
metal_xxx wrote:
Very few albums qualify as a classic by those criteria, and it would barely be necessary with a classic section on this site if those were the criteria.

I actually think there's quite a few when one takes into account the wide scope of metal.

metal_xxx wrote:
For me, classic albums are divided into the huge, fundamental, commercial and pioneering albums, and the more underground yet still influential, genre-defining albums like this and many others. This album meets the latter criteria in my opinion.

I agree about the underground. Hence I mentioned bands such as Possessed and Darkthrone. I'd happily add bands such as Repulsion, Autopsy and Exciter in there as well.

I just think that the Jag Panzer album is too obscure to be genre defining. In all my time near 20 years of listening to metal, I've never come across any references to their impact until this review.

Yet genre defining albums tend to get name dropped a lot, be it by the Metal journalists or by the bands themselves when citing influences.

Jag Panzer on the other hand is not mentioned at all.

I'd say the same thing about bands such as Artillery or Edge of Sanity whom I absolutely love. By Inheritance and Purgatory Afterglow are two of my favourite albums but are not genre defining or impactful enough to warrant a Classic tag.

I think to a degree it's about historical misperception. I remember when Cancer and Onslaught reformed a number of online articles were published calling them highly influential or seminal bands.

Yet they were not. They wrote some great stuff but were obscure and generally stuck and forgotten in the mire of the Thrash and Death tidal waves of the time. They were third or fourth tier players in the scene.

At the same time, I've seen bands such as WASP referred to as underground Metal bands.

So the truth is Cancer and Onslaught were nobodies while WASP was actually somewhat commercially successful and even caught the ire of Tipper Gore's PMRC.

The internet has made these bands more popular than during the time they were actually active.

Good point. I think the term "hidden gem" applies to many of those awesome, but obscure releases.

I agree with this as well. There are still 'classics' of the traditional kind that defined genres and helped pushed scenes forward that haven't been touched on. Such as Bad Brains first release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:49 pm 
Svartalfar

dead1 wrote:
I just think that the Jag Panzer album is too obscure to be genre defining. In all my time near 20 years of listening to metal, I've never come across any references to their impact until this review.

Yet genre defining albums tend to get name dropped a lot, be it by the Metal journalists or by the bands themselves when citing influences.

Sorry to barge in on an old thread. I was surfacing to look at press mentions for new album when I came across this. This thread has a totally different take on Ample and I wanted to comment.

The comments quoted above are right on. I've had my share of good reviews, fans, gigs etc during the lifespan of Jag Panzer, but 'genre defining' and 'influencing' are two things I've never experienced. In fact, I don't recall ever hearing of any band that cites Jag Panzer as an influence. Sure, I've read about bands that like us, but influential? No.

The funny thing about Ample is that it was released to lukewarm reviews. Sure, some folks loved it, but the major metal press of the day found it to be middle of the road. It was only released in the U.S. I couldn't give it away in Europe. I mean that literally. I offered the album to several European indie metal labels (for free) and was turned down by all of them.

It's funny that a few years after it's released that it finally gained some notoriaty. But I'm seeing the same thing with 'Thane to the Throne' lately. I don't know why this is to be honest. Our music is fairly straight forward metal. I consider it anything that would take awhile to digest.

Thanks for this thread. It's very cool and different from the typical 'great, great, overrated, never heard it' type threads I usually see about Ample.

Mark Briody
Jag Panzer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:07 pm 
Ist Krieg

....cool! I love when musicians visit this site and give their take. Especially established ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:03 pm 
Karma Whore

Jag Panzer wrote:
dead1 wrote:

Sorry to barge in on an old thread. I was surfacing to look at press mentions for new album when I came across this. This thread has a totally different take on Ample and I wanted to comment.

The comments quoted above are right on. I've had my share of good reviews, fans, gigs etc during the lifespan of Jag Panzer, but 'genre defining' and 'influencing' are two things I've never experienced. In fact, I don't recall ever hearing of any band that cites Jag Panzer as an influence. Sure, I've read about bands that like us, but influential? No.

The funny thing about Ample is that it was released to lukewarm reviews. Sure, some folks loved it, but the major metal press of the day found it to be middle of the road. It was only released in the U.S. I couldn't give it away in Europe. I mean that literally. I offered the album to several European indie metal labels (for free) and was turned down by all of them.

It's funny that a few years after it's released that it finally gained some notoriaty. But I'm seeing the same thing with 'Thane to the Throne' lately. I don't know why this is to be honest. Our music is fairly straight forward metal. I consider it anything that would take awhile to digest.

Thanks for this thread. It's very cool and different from the typical 'great, great, overrated, never heard it' type threads I usually see about Ample.

Mark Briody
Jag Panzer

:wub:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:14 pm 
Karma Whore

Oh there is a new album coming out! :dio:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:53 am 
Einherjar

Kudos to Mark for being so honest. :dio:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:03 am 
Svartalfar

Absolutely a classic in my book! Many a night I've enjoyed downing beers and listening to this record. Great, energetic REAL power metal with balls! Excellent guitar work, songwriting - just an all-around gem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:47 am 
Svartalfar

Did not expect to see Jag Panzer in The classic section but if we are talking music quality and not influence this truly belomgs here. 2nd favorite album of all time :dio: