Quote:
Gorgoroth - Quantos Possunt ad Satanitatem Trahunt
Black Metal
Quoted: 93 / 100

Click here to see the review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:09 am 
Svartalfar

This album put me to sleep after the 4th song. A couple of things about the review that need to be clarified:

There was never a law suit. King and Gaahl wanted to kick Infernus out because they were the majority and disagreed on which direction the band wanted to go. Infernus is the one who went ahead with legal proceedings, and then Gaahl and King decided it wasn't worth the effort, and that the name was only a name. Get the story right before you write about it.

Next, King wrote every single riff on Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam. It was also the only metal album that was so highly praised from elitists in the metal community. All of their other albums (albeit good) were standard, monotonous black metal albums. Ad Majorem really set the band apart, and gave them some very unique tendencies. Infernus, who refuses to refer to himself as anything but "satans minister on earth" has taken Gorgoroth back in time to where they were 10 years ago.

Considering the fact that this review also assumes that "God Seed will never come close" simply shows that the reviewer is biased. Although Infernus started this band on the right track, King really was the talent behind it, and Gaahl was an attention-generating front man...with an intense stage presence and voice.

For those of you looking for good black metal this year, look towards Blut Aus Nord, Wodensthrone, Drudkh or Immortal. Quantos Possunt... is indeed noteworthy, but nothing spectacular.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:50 am 
MetalReviews Staff

What's King Ov Hell's real name, someone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:52 pm 
Metal King

Goat wrote:

Uhmmm... Conrad?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:02 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

OldSchool wrote:
Goat wrote:

Uhmmm... Conrad?

ba-doom TISH!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:30 pm 
Svartalfar

Tom Visnes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:32 pm 
Einherjar

I would probably rate this more like an 80/100 but it's definitely a very solid album. I enjoyed it thoroughly. It has that plodding sorta rocky-ish black metal feel that I enjoy, and the new vox work fine for me. There's some tracks that pick it up a bit to, for some variety.

Solid work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:13 am 
Ist Krieg

Konrad wrote:
Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam...was also the only metal album that was so highly praised from elitists in the metal community.

the reviewer is biased.

Hee hee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:36 pm 
Jeg lever med min foreldre

Konrad wrote:
This album put me to sleep after the 4th song. A couple of things about the review that need to be clarified:

There was never a law suit. King and Gaahl wanted to kick Infernus out because they were the majority and disagreed on which direction the band wanted to go. Infernus is the one who went ahead with legal proceedings, and then Gaahl and King decided it wasn't worth the effort, and that the name was only a name. Get the story right before you write about it.

"Oslo City District Court has delivered a verdict on the main question in the GORGOROTH trademark case, which took place at the end of January 2009. The court has decided that King Ov Hell’s trademark registration #243365 of the band name Gorgoroth is NOT valid and shall therefore be deleted. The court states that King ov Hell and Gaahl excluded themselves from the band Gorgoroth when they tried to fire Infernus in October 2007. The court further states that Infernus cannot be excluded from Gorgoroth, unless he himself decides to quit."

Courts don't deliver a verdict if a party decides it "wasn't worth the effort"...

Konrad wrote:
Next, King wrote every single riff on Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam. It was also the only metal album that was so highly praised from elitists in the metal community. All of their other albums (albeit good) were standard, monotonous black metal albums. Ad Majorem really set the band apart, and gave them some very unique tendencies. Infernus, who refuses to refer to himself as anything but "satans minister on earth" has taken Gorgoroth back in time to where they were 10 years ago.

King was also in Audrey Horne, a post-grunge band. FAIL

Konrad wrote:
Considering the fact that this review also assumes that "God Seed will never come close" simply shows that the reviewer is biased. Although Infernus started this band on the right track, King really was the talent behind it, and Gaahl was an attention-generating front man...with an intense stage presence and voice.

An attention generating frontman who wasn't really much of a vocalist, and is known more for his insane interview behaviour than anything else.

Konrad wrote:
For those of you looking for good black metal this year, look towards Blut Aus Nord, Wodensthrone, Drudkh or Immortal. Quantos Possunt... is indeed noteworthy, but nothing spectacular.

The new Drudkh is their worst ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:42 pm 
Sailor Man

New The Ruins of Beverast kicks every goddamn black metal release in the ass. New De Magia Veterum is close second.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:44 pm 

I swear I heard a band called De Magia Veterum, and they were a crappy demo band.. are there two with the same name or was I just not listening properly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:46 pm 
Sailor Man

Never listened to their demo... Probably it does suck ass, new album is called Migdal Bavel, it was even reviewed in this site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:53 pm 

Dago wrote:
Never listened to their demo... Probably it does suck ass, new album is called Migdal Bavel, it was even reviewed in this site.

Oh it is the same band, and I have The Blood of Prophets and Saints. Quite good really :dio:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:20 pm 
Svartalfar

Rhys wrote:
Konrad wrote:

"Oslo City District Court has delivered a verdict on the main question in the GORGOROTH trademark case, which took place at the end of January 2009. The court has decided that King Ov Hell’s trademark registration #243365 of the band name Gorgoroth is NOT valid and shall therefore be deleted. The court states that King ov Hell and Gaahl excluded themselves from the band Gorgoroth when they tried to fire Infernus in October 2007. The court further states that Infernus cannot be excluded from Gorgoroth, unless he himself decides to quit."

Courts don't deliver a verdict if a party decides it "wasn't worth the effort"...

Konrad wrote:

King was also in Audrey Horne, a post-grunge band. FAIL

Konrad wrote:

An attention generating frontman who wasn't really much of a vocalist, and is known more for his insane interview behaviour than anything else.

Konrad wrote:

The new Drudkh is their worst ever.

Well, you seem to have argued with just about everything I said...even things that were simply my opinion. I hope it helped your ego. I must have misread an article about their court case (or I read an article where Gaahl lied about it) so thanks for clearing that up as I was mistaken.

I really don't think it matters what other bands King was in does it? Sometimes it takes many mistakes (although I have not heard this band) to produce something as unique and memorable as Ad Majorem. Regardless of the ridiculousness of his interviews, Gaahl's voice is better than Infernus' I.M.O.

The fact that you needed to say that Drudkh's album is their worst ever proves that you have a complex and need to argue with everything I said, to discredit me. It's a fine album...just like their others. In the Constellation of the Black Widow isn't a shitty album just because it's not as good as other A.R. releases, so that argument isn't valid.

I will be interested to see the ratings that the new Gorgoroth receives on say, metalreview.com, Terrorizer or Decibel. Not like those will change my opinion of it, but they definitely have more credibility.

My "opinion" of the review, is that it received a 93 because it's Gorgoroth. Although important in Black Metal, I don't think Infernus is a very talented song writer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:47 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Konrad wrote:
Well, you seem to have argued with just about everything I said...even things that were simply my opinion. I hope it helped your ego. I must have misread an article about their court case (or I read an article where Gaahl lied about it) so thanks for clearing that up as I was mistaken.

I really don't think it matters what other bands King was in does it? Sometimes it takes many mistakes (although I have not heard this band) to produce something as unique and memorable as Ad Majorem. Regardless of the ridiculousness of his interviews, Gaahl's voice is better than Infernus' I.M.O.

Infernus does vocals?

Konrad wrote:
I will be interested to see the ratings that the new Gorgoroth receives on say, metalreview.com, Terrorizer or Decibel. Not like those will change my opinion of it, but they definitely have more credibility. My "opinion" of the review, is that it received a 93 because it's Gorgoroth. Although important in Black Metal, I don't think Infernus is a very talented song writer.

More "credibility"? If you really feel the need to make a list of what zine is more credible than another, well, that's up to you, but as far as love of the music and passion in writing goes I see no reason Metalreviews.com can't compete with those others. Personally, I didn't score Quantos Possunt Whatsit as high as Alex, but it is a great album and my "opinion" is that this is a perfectly fair review.

By the by, your avatar's too big, be a good lad and smaller-ise it, please?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:25 pm 
Svartalfar

Yes, Infernus does do vocals...but so did "Pest" and "Hat". Look, I wasn't putting this site down in any way...I'm on here reading the reviews aren't I? Nor did I say anything derogatory toward anyone on the site. To be honest, metalreviews is among my top review sources because they always review New Releases immediately. That doesn't mean I agree with a lot of what is said in different reviews, but I respect it.

P.S...I've never really understood why like 10 albums a month get the album of the month award...but it's kind of funny :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:37 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Konrad wrote:
Yes, Infernus does do vocals...but so did "Pest" and "Hat". Look, I wasn't putting this site down in any way...I'm on here reading the reviews aren't I? Nor did I say anything derogatory toward anyone on the site. To be honest, metalreviews is among my top review sources because they always review New Releases immediately. That doesn't mean I agree with a lot of what is said in different reviews, but I respect it.

P.S...I've never really understood why like 10 albums a month get the album of the month award...but it's kind of funny :-D

I'm being overly-defensive, don't worry. Cheers for the avatar change, and Pest is an awesome vocalist, and so is Hat (the best name ever?).

As for the albums of the months, you're exhaggerating a leeedle, but I personally only give that to bands that deserve it. It's down to each reviewer to do it, and as there are 12 months to play with, there will be a few awards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:21 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Konrad wrote:

Actually, its not funny at all if you look at it rationally. "Album of the Month" does not mean we all got together and decided on one album. Each reviewer can choose an album of the month for each month, and being that there are about 14 reviewers, that would mean up to 14 different albums a month could garner that tag.

If one reviewer was giving multiple albums that award in the same month, I would agree with you, but as it stands I don't think its strange and I really don't think that should affect our "credibility" as reviewers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:47 pm 
Svartalfar

You guys are defensive. Only the quality of your reviewing and scoring has to do with your credibility. If you like having 168 albums of the month on your website than so be it...who am I to make suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:52 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Konrad wrote:
You guys are defensive. Only the quality of your reviewing and scoring has to do with your credibility. If you like having 168 albums of the month on your website than so be it...who am I to make suggestions.

543, actually. And we've had over fifty reviewers, which is 10 each - 12 months in a year, you do the math. Really nothing to complain about.