Quote:
Sirenia - The 13th Floor
Gothic Metal
Quoted: 84 / 100

Click here to see the review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:00 pm 
Metal Lord

Good review, Zad. The Las Ketchup reference cracked me up. I sure as hell hope the new LC album isn't in the vein of Karmacode... what a terrible album... so much wasted potential :mad:

Ailyn does look pretty nice... for once, a goth singer that doesn't look overly slutty and is actually likeable... :wub:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:40 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Esiel wrote:
Good review, Zad. The Las Ketchup reference cracked me up. I sure as hell hope the new LC album isn't in the vein of Karmacode... what a terrible album... so much wasted potential :mad:

Ailyn does look pretty nice... for once, a goth singer that doesn't look overly slutty and is actually likeable... :wub:

Cheers! Thought an embarassing pop reference or two might go down well in a Metal review, haha... For those who have sad lives and didn't catch the references, these are for you:

Las Ketchup: www.youtube.com/watch?v=drw-M-t4OTo

(the Spanish version is better, if you've got nothing to do but search YouTube)

Frankee: www.youtube.com/watch?v=md4u8Zlfw4Q

(A 'diss' song or something, written in reply to another top 10 hit. :rolleyes: All I know is, it's been stuck deep in my head ever since, and comes out sometimes to annoy.)

As for Karmacode, it's one of the few nu-metal influenced albums I can tolerate, mainly for Christina's vocals, although of course the earlier stuff is much better. I hope the new one drops it, obviously.

And yes, hooray for hot Goth singers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:52 am 
Einherjar

Goat wrote:
As for Karmacode, it's one of the few nu-metal influenced albums I can tolerate, mainly for Christina's vocals, although of course the earlier stuff is much better. I hope the new one drops it, obviously.

Even Christina's vocals didn't save that album, mostly because there were too
much male vocals parts and the male vocals was covering up Christina's awesome voice too much for my tastes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:49 am 
Svartalfar

Every song on this album has the exact same structure,
riff and or orchestra, clean vocals, chours + orchestra, breakdown, growl + orchestra, once agaoin chours, and the end

But sirens of the seven seas, that song rocks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:17 pm 
Ist Krieg

I didn't hate Karmacode. But let's not derail this thread.

I have trouble tolerating the pop side of gothic metal. This review wasn't encouraging.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:44 am 
Metal King

Quote:
but I certainly never expected to hear that Morten Veland had replaced Seven Destinies And A Downfall’s Monika Pedersen with a contestant from the Spanish version of that most execrable of television shows, The X-Factor.

I guess no one noticed that you got the name of their last album wrong....Seven Destinies....isn't it Nine?

There are two references to it in fact....

As for the review......ah, meh...not bad, but i prefer mine on Metal CD Ratings :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:48 am 
MetalReviews Staff

Trooper Of Steel wrote:
Quote:
but I certainly never expected to hear that Morten Veland had replaced Seven Destinies And A Downfall’s Monika Pedersen with a contestant from the Spanish version of that most execrable of television shows, The X-Factor.

I guess no one noticed that you got the name of their last album wrong....Seven Destinies....isn't it Nine?

As for the review......ah, meh...not bad, but i prefer mine on Metal CD Ratings :P

Ah, darn it, well noticed. And changed it, and read your review. Meh, reads like you've copy-pasted bits from Wikipedia (X factor bit especially) and 9DAAD's songs were all too similar, imo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:41 pm 
Ist Krieg

I really like this album. But then, I even like Lunatica, so maybe my opinion doesn't mean shit in this case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:45 pm 
Einherjar

I like The 13th Floor quite a bit but Ailyn will never fill the shoes of the previous vocalist (Monika), at least for me. I'm a big fan of Nine Destinies and a Downfall. Ailyn does fit the current Sirenia musical mold very well and is certainly a good choice as Monika's replacement. Both of these CD's are on my iPod and are in constant rotation.

As for Lacuna Coil, I had no issue with Karmacode. I still listen to it quite frequently. I have to agree with the remarks made toward the use (or overuse) of male vocals in Lacuna Coil. I've always felt that Lacuna Coil is perfectly fine with Cristina singing. The male singer becomes a bigger distraction musically than a compliment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:34 am 
Metal King

Goat wrote:
Trooper Of Steel wrote:
Quote:

Ah, darn it, well noticed. And changed it, and read your review. Meh, reads like you've copy-pasted bits from Wikipedia (X factor bit especially) and 9DAAD's songs were all too similar, imo.

Well, the X Factor info on Ailyn was sort from Wiki, but not copy and pasted. The remainder is pure and 100% Trooper Of Steel...

Of course you know that my first post was just a cheeky stab, right? The smiley should have emphasized that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:49 pm 
Metal Slave

Just gave this guy & gal some listening time. 84/100 is very accurate!
Beyond lifes scenery is also a pretty cool song...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:49 pm 
Metal King

Eh. Still a decent band, but these guys have gone downhill. Veland left Tristania because they were becoming poppier and less of a doom-death band. That's why the first two Sirenia albums are excellent.

And then a few year pass, Nine Destinies And A Downfall comes out, and it's just like Tristania's new pop direction. Hell, I guess it pays the bills, and I don't dislike it, but I wish they'd go back to that doom-death style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:57 pm 
Metal King

To be fair, Tristania's World of Glass and Ashes albums weren't exactly poppy. The ones thereafter though...