Quote:
Opeth - Orchid
Opeth Metal
Quoted: 79 / 100

Click here to see the review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:24 am 
Ist Krieg

The review basically sums up my thoughts. It's just too damn disjointed. I'd rate it somewhat lower, I just can't get past how not-cohesive it is.

Post subject: orchid
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:40 pm 
Svartalfar

what a bullshit review - i mean i see what you're getting at, but this record is just a cumulation of genius that may seem like "disjointed" to you - just listen to the god damn record more than 3 tmies driving your car through a drive through and you'll understand - this album is great and you just do not understand it couse when you stareted listening to opeth they were on the front page of metal hammer - this review sucks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:47 pm 
Ist Krieg

Mintrude just got owned really fucking hard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:51 pm 
Einherjar

Quote:
tmies

Quote:
tmies

Quote:
tmies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:08 pm 
Ist Krieg

TheOctavarius wrote:
Quote:
tmies

Quote:
tmies

Quote:
tmies
You just don't understand. The review is so bad his brain exploded making him unable to spell even the most simple of words like 'because' and 'started'.

Last edited by traptunderice on Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: orchid
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:08 pm 
Karma Whore

kingfate wrote:
what a bullshit review - i mean i see what you're getting at, but this record is just a cumulation of genius that may seem like "disjointed" to you - just listen to the god damn record more than 3 tmies driving your car through a drive through and you'll understand - this album is great and you just do not understand it couse when you stareted listening to opeth they were on the front page of metal hammer - this review sucks!

No, actually, I couldn't care less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:57 am 
Metal Lord

ugh. i have been reading here for 4-5ish years and have never really felt the need to question a review until now. imo orchid is opeth at their most brilliant and creative even if it isn't quite as mature as the rest of their albums. every song is amazing and the production lends the album a unique personality that fits the music perfectly.

mintrude i suggest you spin the disc a few more times and see if it hits you in a different light :)

the twilight is my robe is :dio:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:23 pm 
Karma Whore

belowthelights wrote:
ugh. i have been reading here for 4-5ish years and have never really felt the need to question a review until now. imo orchid is opeth at their most brilliant and creative even if it isn't quite as mature as the rest of their albums. every song is amazing and the production lends the album a unique personality that fits the music perfectly.

mintrude i suggest you spin the disc a few more times and see if it hits you in a different light :)

the twilight is my robe is :dio:

Well, I do like the album, I thought that was fairly clear in my review. It's just when Opeth have made so many better albums this doesn't seem quite so stellar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:23 pm 
Svartalfar

I can't believe some of these comments. You do realise he gave the album 79%, which in my book is a very positive review. Yet you all seem to be attacking him for not liking the album more. I think his opinion is very justified, especially since "Orchid" is often not seen as one of their best (even though it is still genius and groundbreaking). Also if you look at other critic or personal reviews, the word "disjointed" often comes up.

Also since I know the reviewer, I can tell you he was listening to Opeth before they became Metal Hammer cover stars. You guys seem to be forcing him to listen to it more, and effectively forcing him to like it more. He must have listened to it at least 3 times to pick up on how disjointed it is, and pick up on things like the bass doodle on "Twighlight". If I was writing a review for Orchid I would have made the exact same points. Of course you fanboys aren't able to pick out any faults in the bands you love. *Sigh*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:39 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Frenchie wrote:
I can't believe some of these comments. You do realise he gave the album 79%, which in my book is a very positive review. Yet you all seem to be attacking him for not liking the album more. I think his opinion is very justified, especially since "Orchid" is often not seen as one of their best (even though it is still genius and groundbreaking). Also if you look at other critic or personal reviews, the word "disjointed" often comes up.

Also since I know the reviewer, I can tell you he was listening to Opeth before they became Metal Hammer cover stars. You guys seem to be forcing him to listen to it more, and effectively forcing him to like it more. He must have listened to it at least 3 times to pick up on how disjointed it is, and pick up on things like the bass doodle on "Twighlight". If I was writing a review for Orchid I would have made the exact same points. Of course you fanboys aren't able to pick out any faults in the bands you love. *Sigh*

Manchester! Where abouts are you? Bury-dweller, here.

As for Orchid, I'd probably have scored it even lower, can't help but compare it to the later, better stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:42 pm 
Ist Krieg

A 79% is comparable to an 8/10 or four stars out of five. Anywhere else that is a fucking hit but I guess not here for some people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:44 pm 
Ist Krieg

traptunderice wrote:
A 79% is comparable to an 8/10 or four stars out of five. Anywhere else that is a fucking hit but I guess not here for some people.

yeah lol

i'd give it like 60

Post subject: sorry
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:31 pm 
Svartalfar

ok - i'm sorry - i had a bad day when i was writing this post - i just think orichid is great and i guess 79/100 is ok - hey, at least we had a discussion about it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:03 pm 
Metal Lord

Frenchie wrote:

lol well your right i couldn't find any faults with opeths music until watershed. thats the only disc i have heard from them that got boring fairly quick.

as for orchid, i guess im alone on this one but its one of my favs from the band. i would much rather listen to morning rise and orchid than any of their other cds and i just don't hear anything disjointed about it. everything works just fine for me. it might have something to do with the fact that i have heard this cd to many times to count that everything fits so well but i don't recall ever feeling put off from this album because it didn't "flow" as well as their others, even when i first heard it....w/e to each their own.

i wasnt really attacking mintrude for his score, every1 has their own tastes and different views but it just seems like he didn't really GET the cd which sucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:06 pm 
Ist Krieg

well, whenever anyone doesn't like something they don't "get" it on some level

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:16 pm 
Svartalfar

this was the first album i heard by opeth, still enjoy it, but not their strongest... to each his own :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:43 am 
Einherjar

traptunderice wrote:

This post makes me think that we should switch to a scale of 10. For some reason, an 8 out of 10 sounds pretty damn good but a 79/100 sounds just okay to me. I dunno.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:50 am 
MetalReviews Staff

I've always thought the rating system was weird, but I've gotten used to it and made my own in my head.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:42 am 
Svartalfar

Very unique and brilliant album. For me 9/10 is the least i could rate it.
Can't agree with the review much, but every1 has it's own taste.
Apostle in Triumph and The Twillight is My Robe were my opeth's favorites for quite some time.