Quote:
Bruce Dickinson - Tattooed Millionaire
Heavy Metal
Quoted: 69 / 100

Click here to see the review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:08 pm 
Metal Servant

I pretty much agree with the review. This is probably Bruce's worst album, but it's still decent. And Born In 58 is actually a great track. I think the title track is kinda fun too.

In one way I think this is kinda like Skunkworks, there's some good moments, but overall it's nothing I want to go back and listen to that often.

It's neat how things changed with Accident Of Birth, Chemical Wedding, and A Tyranny Of Souls however. I love all 3 of those albums. :dio:

Last edited by Cenotaph on Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:08 pm 
Ist Krieg

Tattooed Millionaire, Born in '58 and Son of a Gun are excellent.

Everything else ranges between mediocre and cringeworthy. Weak album.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:21 pm 
Metal King

Very good review which also sums up my views about this album. I've had this since it came out and I can say that I still enjoy it. I also agree with the killer tracks + "Tattooed Millionaire".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:44 pm 
Karma Whore

This album sucks. The 80's Rock sound didn't fit Bruce at all. I cringe everytime I foolishly try to play it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:41 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

I like tracks 2, 3, 4, and 5 the best...everything else is rubbish. And these are probably Bruces worst vocals since "No Prayer For The Dying", which is when he started trying to sound more like Brian Johnson of AC/DC which took away from what made albums like Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind and Powerslave great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:55 pm 
Ist Krieg

Jeff@Metalreviews wrote:
And these are probably Bruces worst vocals since "No Prayer For The Dying", which is when he started trying to sound more like Brian Johnson of AC/DC which took away from what made albums like Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind and Powerslave great!

Shame this came out before No Prayer, eh? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:15 pm 
Karma Whore

Radagast wrote:
Tattooed Millionaire, Born in '58 and Son of a Gun are excellent.

Everything else ranges between mediocre and cringeworthy. Weak album.

+1, very weak album, those songs do kick ass though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:04 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Radagast wrote:
Jeff@Metalreviews wrote:
And these are probably Bruces worst vocals since "No Prayer For The Dying", which is when he started trying to sound more like Brian Johnson of AC/DC which took away from what made albums like Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind and Powerslave great!

Both albums came out in 1990...not sure which months they were released in though.....yet this review is technically of the re-release which came out in 2002 so you could look at it that way :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:03 pm 
Ist Krieg

Jeff@Metalreviews wrote:
Radagast wrote:
Jeff@Metalreviews wrote:

Both albums came out in 1990...not sure which months they were released in though.....yet this review is technically of the re-release which came out in 2002 so you could look at it that way :D

:lol: Fair point.

This definitely came out before No Prayer though, its what landed Janick the gig in Maiden (make of that what you will :ph34r: ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:52 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Radagast wrote:
Jeff@Metalreviews wrote:
Radagast wrote:
Jeff@Metalreviews wrote:

:lol: Fair point.

This definitely came out before No Prayer though, its what landed Janick the gig in Maiden (make of that what you will :ph34r: ).

Ok, even fairer point! :cool: But whose not to say that maybe Bruce was in the process of recording both a solo and Maiden album at the same time? Could be why his voice wasn't as strong on both releases.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:08 am 
Metal Lord

Not Bruce's finest moment. I bought this when it first came out and have barely revisited it since! I kinda felt that it was more of a collection of outtakes penned by Bruce from 'Maiden sessions rather than a solo project. Perhaps Bruce was planning to leave Maiden sooner than he initially did and tried to test the water with more maiden-esque tunes of the time rather than the more diverse material he released later.

Medicore score of 60 from me as 'Son of a Gun' and 'Tattooed Millionaire' do save it from being a total waste. Just realised that the name of this album is arguably one of the worst ever. Seems more of a brag rather than meaningful to anyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:04 pm 
Ist Krieg

mentalmark wrote:
I kinda felt that it was more of a collection of outtakes penned by Bruce from 'Maiden sessions rather than a solo project. Perhaps Bruce was planning to leave Maiden sooner than he initially did and tried to test the water with more maiden-esque tunes of the time rather than the more diverse material he released later.

Nope. He wrote it with Janick in his (Janick's) living room over a two week period.

mentalmark wrote:
Just realised that the name of this album is arguably one of the worst ever. Seems more of a brag rather than meaningful to anyone.

Yeah you sort've missed the point completely on that one. :wink: Go read the title track's lyrics again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:25 pm 
Metal Lord

Radagast wrote:

Yeah you sort've missed the point completely on that one. :wink: Go read the title track's lyrics again.

Ahhh!! I see said the blind man (I had one of those enlightenment 10 seconds that detours from my 'normal' rational thought... again!).

Radagast wrote:
Nope. He wrote it with Janick in his (Janick's) living room over a two week period.

Sure. I think what I was trying to say is that it felt to me as a 'Maiden outtake session, but it was just prior to Janick replacing Adrian if I recall, so obviously wasn't. Kudos to ze truth you speak :wink: