Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:06 am

Post subject: nu metal/post grunge bands that did or didnt suck.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:37 am 
Metal King

ok so im 30. ill be 31 in december. i say this because if your my age the radio was flooded with nu metal and post grunge around the time you were 17 18 years old.

so having grown up in this time period and not fully having found the more metallic side of metal yet i was very much into this music. i still spin certain albums now and again. (mostly for nostalgic reasons). i will say there were some notable albums that came from this time. (this is where Snake makes a list)

ok so after cobain blew his face off things started to spiral out of control. record companies were scrambling to discover the next big thing and one of the first bands to come out of the shotgun smoke was Bush.

bush-sixteen stone. notable songs... everything zen was the first single. for the time it wasnt a bad song. now the timeline gets a little fuzzy (im doing this from memory people). the next singles were glycerine, come down, machinehead and little things. best thing about bush growing up was the songs were super easy to play on the guitar and for a young boy who wanted to impress all the girls who loved glycerine it was a dream come true. other than that bush is total shit!!! if i had to give this album a score it would be 7/10.

ok so now come the creeds and the days of the news and the other shit that in my opinion did not resemble grunge at all. most of these bands are just radio friendly rock. proof of my point is that they are still playing these songs on radio rock stations.

so lets jump to 98-99 shall we....

staind-ok they had a cd called tormented that was self released in small numbers at the end of 1996. this cd had a early version of what would be their first single. a song called mudshovel but it wouldnt be until 99 when dysfunction came out that they would recieve any airplay.

staind-dysfunction-(a little back story is needed here. i loved alice in chains growing up. loved them. so when staind hit the airwaves i was all in. it was moody and disturbing and right up my alley :dio: )
i stand behind this cd even today. people bash staind and so do i (ill get to that in a minute) but this cd was actually good. aaron lewis was pissed off. at everyone.

fast forward to break the cycle which came out in 2001. uhhh wtf aaron??? what is this turd you have given me here? this cd is garbage in my opinion. a total sellout for air time. after this purchase i would never purchase another staind album again.

lets jump to a band named cold.

cold is a band from florida. jacksonville i believe. the lead singer a mr scooter ward was singing and playing a very similair style to staind and aaron lewis. only aaron lewis can actually sing and scooter ward seems to have trouble with singing and properly annunciating words.

cold-self titled cold- not a bad album. if i had to score it would be a 6.5-7/10. it showed some promise for albums to come.

cold-thirteen ways to bleed on stage- this album was much better than the first. way better actually and it even got them some airtime with tracks like "end of the world", "no one" and "just got wicked". Just got wicked is actually quite the track and this is quite the album. for a young sprouting metalhead this was bliss. (other songs of note would be "bleed" a acuostic ballady jobber featuring aaron lewis.) scooter ward must have taken some vocal lessons and had some speech therapy prior to the recording of this album because he sounds much better. really the whole album is pretty good. score-8-8.5/10.

cold-year of the spider-this album came out in 2003. this was cold's most succesful album to date. the only real single off this album was a song called "stupid girl" that was written with rivers cuomo. its probably the worst song on the album. stand out tracks are remedy, suffocate, and the day seattle died. score-8/10.

the above is my last experiance with cold. as it turns out his sister and his fiance or wife both had cancer one of em died. cant remember which. but anyway scooter ward found jesus and stopped cursing and i was not having that. anyway if your a fan of the genre or are feeling nostalgic for your youth the first three cold albums are worth a spin.

disclaimer-the scores for these albums are based on these bands contemporaries. these scores are not to be compared to real metal bands. nor are the bands themselves. im not nessasarily saying these bands are good bands but they did have a impact on my musical journey and i would not be where i am now if not for these bands. -end disclaimer

so ill continue our little nostalgic journey threw post grunge and nu metal based on all of your responses if any. i may have to back track but what the hell else do i have to do and i could talk music all day. so if you want to hear more about bands from the nineties and early 2000's let me know. please comment. please disagree. tell me im an asshole for starting a new thread in your forums about post grunge of all things.

ps i know my grammer is not the best to say the least and my punctuation sucks. as does my spelling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:17 pm 
Metal Servant

I always thought Days of the New was one of the best post grunge bands to come out. Around the year 2000 there were a lot of debut albums from what you would call alternative or nu metal bands that I was into at the time. There was almost a mini rock revival going on with MTV and radio giving lots of airplay to these bands, but most fizzled away with the exeption of a few of the major ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:53 pm 
Metal King

scumbag wrote:
I always thought Days of the New was one of the best post grunge bands to come out. Around the year 2000 there were a lot of debut albums from what you would call alternative or nu metal bands that I was into at the time. There was almost a mini rock revival going on with MTV and radio giving lots of airplay to these bands, but most fizzled away with the exeption of a few of the major ones.

This is true. I'm guilty for liking some of these bands as well. And there were some good ones. Days of the new and tantric never did anything for me though. Breaking Benjamin, sevendust, slipknot, coal chamber, static x, Korn, limp bizcut, godsmack are just a few of the bands that were big at the time. I didn't nessasarily like all those bands but ohhhh I forgot linkon park.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:19 pm 
Metal King

I'm 33, and i began discovering metal during the nineties with cool bands like Guns'n'Roses, Queen, Aerosmith,Megadeth,Iron maiden,Black Sabbath.

I've never listened to shitty bands like Nirvana,Korn,Slipknot,Machine Head and Pantera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:10 am 
Metal Servant

What is with the Pantera hatred on these forums?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:15 am 
Einherjar

scumbag wrote:

Seriously, tell me about it. They deserve a hell of a lot more respect than they'll ever get around here. I'm kind of used to it now, but I still think it's retarded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:28 am 
Metal King

Thrashtildeth wrote:
scumbag wrote:

Seriously, tell me about it. They deserve a hell of a lot more respect than they'll ever get around here. I'm kind of used to it now, but I still think it's retarded.

Those first three pantera albums were fuckin awesome. Idk why people bash them. I mean if you listen to interviews with almost any guitar player they pay homage to dimebag. Phil is kind of a douche but what are you gonna do??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:29 am 
Metal King

snake wrote:
Thrashtildeth wrote:
scumbag wrote:

Those first three pantera albums were fuckin awesome. Idk why people bash them. I mean if you listen to interviews with almost any guitar player they pay homage to dimebag. Phil is kind of a douche but what are you gonna do??

Also when I was a teenager pantera opened me up to heavier music. They really should get respect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:30 am 
Ist Krieg

scumbag wrote:
TIME FOR PRIMAL CONCRETE SLEDGE.

I'll actually defend Static X. I think they're fucking awesome in that they aren't a great band, but for every album they have released there are two or three tracks on there that just fucking kill it. Case in point:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dkvMbvbvLI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te9BIJuzeqk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EBBe0TbgtM

They aren't great, but that shit is fun. Some people who listen to metal just don't want to have fun.

I also really like Godsmack's s/t album. I used to wake up each morning just to see the "Whatever" video on MTV. It was really cool when I was growing.

As for post-grunge, I really like Days of the New and Bush. Sixteen Stone was great obv, but I even liked their other stuff despite being weaker. And the same for Days, their initial album was great and the preceding ones were fine for rock albums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:44 am 
Ist Krieg

Stub rarely represents forum consensus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:18 am 
Einherjar

emperorblackdoom wrote:
Stub rarely represents forum consensus.

I have seen quite a few people around here hating on pantera though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:53 am 
Metal King

traptunderice wrote:
scumbag wrote:

I'll actually defend Static X. I think they're fucking awesome in that they aren't a great band, but for every album they have released there are two or three tracks on there that just fucking kill it. Case in point:

They aren't great, but that shit is fun. Some people who listen to metal just don't want to have fun.

I also really like Godsmack's s/t album. I used to wake up each morning just to see the "Whatever" video on MTV. It was really cool when I was growing.

As for post-grunge, I really like Days of the New and Bush. Sixteen Stone was great obv, but I even liked their other stuff despite being weaker. And the same for Days, their initial album was great and the preceding ones were fine for rock albums.

I totally agree with what you said about static x. And like you said there are some great songs on their albums but they don't really have a great album. I can't say I'm super familiar with their later stuff aside a song or two but Wisconsin death trip gets a spin about every six months just for push it, bled for days and love dump. Godsmacks self titled was a great album but I put it on for a spin about a month ago and there are just way to many sound clips. Idk that doesn't really hold up for me but I would still defend that album. <---- I am a hypocrite. Plus idk if anyone else feels this way but goddamn if all there songs after that first album don't sound the same.

Has anyone ever listened to a band called hurt?? I'll post a link in a few I just got home from work and am in desperate need of a shower :blink: :blink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:34 am 
Metal King

ok so this is a band called hurt. this song is called ten ton brick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMqFJ9ynIbs

hurt is really a art rock band. whatever that is. genre tags make me dizzy anymore. they wander around into post grunge hard rock acoustic songs. they are actually a pretty good band. well... they were a really good band. 2 albums. vol 1 and vol 2 were excellent. then a album called goodbye to the machine was kinda shitty. and they have a new one that is supposed to be a return to form but ive only heard the single titled how we end up alone and its a good song but idk if ive moved on or what but it doesnt do much for me. here is that link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG2KJ4t7wos

so ten ton brick came out in 2006 if my memory isnt to far gone.

if you guys listen to the songs im curious to hear what you think of them.

oh yeah the first song on vol 2 is called summers lost. this song actually goes into ten ton brick. here is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78SYiwv3prI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:42 am 
Einherjar

Definitely feeling the Tool vibe that people are talking about in the comments, but not as complex unfortunately. It's not bad, I don't see myself getting very much into it, it's a little bit too generic sounding overall, I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:58 am 
Metal King

Thrashtildeth wrote:
Definitely feeling the Tool vibe that people are talking about in the comments, but not as complex unfortunately. It's not bad, I don't see myself getting very much into it, it's a little bit too generic sounding overall, I think.

yeah its alright and if i hadnt gotten into it when it came out and heard it today id probably not be into it either. thats just the way of things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:45 am 
Ist Krieg

snake wrote:
traptunderice wrote:
scumbag wrote:

I totally agree with what you said about static x. And like you said there are some great songs on their albums but they don't really have a great album. I can't say I'm super familiar with their later stuff aside a song or two but Wisconsin death trip gets a spin about every six months just for push it, bled for days and love dump.
I'm with Stupid and Trance are worth a mention as well, but yeah totally on the same page as you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:32 am 
Einherjar

I really liked:

dope - The modern day version of Motley Crue. Edsel and Virus are amazing songwriters and producers and everything.

Incubus - their debut through Make Yourself are all worth a listen. Morning View was huge departure.

Still love Slipknot. Those guys are acting like asses though in the press. I don't get it.

First album - okay, sometimes good.
Second album - Amazingly good.
Third Album - Piece of Shit
Fourth Album - a return to form. Very good.

There were a lot of bands distinctly marketed as nu-metal and there were a lot of bands like Danzig eager to get some of the money out of that huge cash machine. These bands were easy to spot because like the hair Metal scene, the whole saga played out in the pages of Circus, Metal Edge, and Hit Parader.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:41 am 
Ist Krieg

Danzig was never nu metal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:45 am 
Einherjar

traptunderice wrote:
Danzig was never nu metal.

This.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:44 am 
Einherjar

Static X suck horribly, the entire genre was an abortion as soon as ex metalheads or mallcore kids started downtuning to drop z after hearing the first Korn LP and Pantera's latest trailerpark garbage. It was a terrible style of rock music and thank god its dead, next I'm going to see an ICP thread.