Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:29 pm

Post subject: Feelings On Sevendust
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:24 pm 
Metal Lord

I have always been a fan of Sevendust. They are a band that has evolved from a semi-numetal start to a very melodic and somewhat techincal act. Concerts are great, they work hard to get the recognition that they do, without ever having broken into serious mainstream recognition. In fact I would compare them loosely to Kings X in that aspect, in that Kings X is the standard for bands that dont recieve the mainstream success and recognition they deserve.

So my question is, where does Sevendust fall on the Metal radar? They are not exactly Hard Rock, but I do not see a spot for them in any of the traditional metal groupings, so just thought I would get some opinions on it. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:36 pm 
Karma Whore

They're meh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:41 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Not really a fan, tbh. They seem to have a lot of their peers' weaknesses in terms of sound, but none of the strengths. I suppose modern rock/nu metal, to answer the q.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:33 pm 
Einherjar

I didn't get into them when it was a time I would have been more accepting of them.

I can still play two of their songs in my head partially that I haven't heard in over 5 years from the very few times I heard them, so I don't think they have any songwriting issues that would make them worthless. I just didn't care when it mattered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:35 pm 
Metal Lord

Goat wrote:
Not really a fan, tbh. They seem to have a lot of their peers' weaknesses in terms of sound, but none of the strengths. I suppose modern rock/nu metal, to answer the q.

Just curious, what would you consider those weakness's to be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:55 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

SolarSoul25 wrote:
Goat wrote:

Just curious, what would you consider those weakness's to be?

From memory, a kind of stereotypical modern rock sound that doesn't have great songwriting skills or especial originality. I've not listened to more than a couple of songs, so this might be an unfair judgement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:25 am 
Einherjar

MetalStorm wrote:
They're meh.

+1

If it came on the radio I might not turn, but I wouldn't be thrilled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:41 am 
Metal Lord

Alright, thanks. Was just curious. Personally, I have been listening to them since they first came out, seen them in concert, and have musically grown up with them so maybe I am biased in that regard. I think they are great song writers, good musicians, and Lajon is a great vocalist for the style. If you listen to more recent albums like Hope and Sorrow or Cold Day Memory, they have left behind any nu-metal tendancies in favor of stronger melody and catchier hooks.

Regardless, thanks for your input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:45 am 
Einherjar

Modern Rock bands tend to be pretty hit and miss with the everybody on these boards. I feel like everybody has their band or two they just have a soft spot for, whatever the reason. The rest just seem generic and rather meh.

For example, for some reason I seem to be on a kick with Stone Sour's new album. I know it's not really that good, pretty generic, and definitely hit and miss from the songwriting perspective. That being said, some the songs are just damn catchy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:32 am 
Metal Lord

Orion wrote:
Modern Rock bands tend to be pretty hit and miss with the everybody on these boards. I feel like everybody has their band or two they just have a soft spot for, whatever the reason. The rest just seem generic and rather meh.

For example, for some reason I seem to be on a kick with Stone Sour's new album. I know it's not really that good, pretty generic, and definitely hit and miss from the songwriting perspective. That being said, some the songs are just damn catchy.

That makes sense. Modern Rock pretty much revolves around hooks and a pop sensibility (not in a bad way), so it is subject to the individual. I havent heard the new Stone Sour, only listened to their first album. (And the single off of the second, which I recall was pretty good).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:15 am 
Einherjar

I remember them from when I was a kid, never really got into them but in April I am going to see Disturbed and Sevendust is the opening band, so I shall see how they are now. I also have to see Korn that night.. ugh..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:56 am 
Metal Lord

The Silent Man wrote:
I remember them from when I was a kid, never really got into them but in April I am going to see Disturbed and Sevendust is the opening band, so I shall see how they are now. I also have to see Korn that night.. ugh..

Sevendust live is a great high energy show, I think you will enjoy it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:07 pm 
Einherjar

Orion wrote:

You're not the only one who enjoyed the new Stone Sour album. As you said, there's some serious filler but it also contains some of the best songs they've ever written.

About Sevendust: I tend to agree with the rest. They're ok, some good songs (those that I can remember at least) but nothing to get too excited about. I do have to say that the singer's voice sets them apart from most other hard rock bands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:09 pm 
Metal King

Sevendust I'm not a fan of. I suppose they are a good gateway band to get people into the heavier music. Like goat said before they have a lot of their peers weaknesses but no strengths.

As for stone sour I'm actually at odds because while their first two are good albums I just don't like Corey Taylor anymore. He is a opinionated douche anymore. But the first two albums are actually really good. Slipknot is another story all together. Stone sours third definitely is not as strong as their previous output. I recently heard the single of thier newest and ehhhh not that good. Corey Taylor marketed this double concept album as a cross between Alice and chains and pink floyds the wall. First off: you don't mention Alice in chains. Nobody can be compared. I've searched a long time trying to find a band that can compare to Alice in chains and fact is the closest I've come would be sentenced but they are still worlds apart. Second: you don't make these comparisons to great bands if you can't deliver mr Corey Taylor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:45 pm 
Metal Servant

Sevendust are one of the few nu-metal bands that I respected back in the day, with there first two albums still getting the occassional spin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:47 am 
Einherjar

Not really a big fan of theirs, but to answer the question of style, I would say maybe "alternative metal".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:54 am 
Metal King

Thrashtildeth wrote:
Not really a big fan of theirs, but to answer the question of style, I would say maybe "alternative metal".

this is correct. alternative metal hits sevendust on the nose. they arent quite nu metal so like other bands of a similar style they get tossed in the alternative metal bin. other bands would be spineshank, dark new day <---has something to do with sevendust maybe the giutar player.... i cant remember.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:59 am 
Metal Slave

Loved 'em in high school. These days.... not so much.

I like my coffee with extra 'shuggah.