Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:26 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:11 am 
Einherjar

Satan's Anus wrote:
The term "melodic rock" is rather ambiguous. It's basically what's used to describe modern AOR. Thin Lizzy, going by what genre labels generally refer to, would be more in the 70s rock/hard rock vein.

Are they a rock band that has melodic songs? No doubt. But they don't sound like Survivor or Stan Bush or Eden's Curse, you know. Those bands are generally the kind of bands lumped into the "melodic rock" category.

Yes, I know genres and labels are lame.

I can agree with that POV.

It raises an interesting question about AOR: Who the late 70's DIDN'T take something away from the success of Boston? I wouldn't call Boston AOR though. The imitators were AOR, Boston was a Hard Rock band with a good formula and sound. It's pretty subtle but I hear it in a lot of bands. Rush is an example of the subtle influence they had. I hear it on "Hemispheres" (the song) a lot especially and The spirit of Radio has a pretty similar sound.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:05 am 
Svartalfar

I 've read some In Flames interview in Guitarworld long time ago, Björn Gelotte said Boston is one of his main influences when it comes to writing melodies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:13 pm 
Einherjar

metalatem wrote:
I 've read some In Flames interview in Guitarworld long time ago, Björn Gelotte said Boston is one of his main influences when it comes to writing melodies.

That's pretty cool. I really like their melodies in particular.

Tom is one of the best songwriters out there and he still has it. There are practically no Boston songs he wrote that even skirt with anything less than brilliance.

MCA really dropped the ball not marketing "Walk On" to Adult Contemporary radio stations. (easily the most popular form of music at the time in the US)

I listened to the radio format extensively at the time and they would have fit in there nicely.

It isn't for everyone, but I think it is their best album song-for-song even though not one song makes my top 5 Boston songs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:28 am 
Metal Lord

Most metal fans especially those over 30 have a spot for AOR, melodic hard rock, classic rock; whatever you want to call it. In fact, the songwriters that write most of the music for modern radio country are 35 to 40 year old who write songs similar in this line of songwriting, but with a southern twist. One of the reasons you have seen a shift from the 80s type rock songs (at least in the US) and now radio country has many of the same influences, melodies, and yes even lead & solo type guitsar work has invaded radio country music (likes of brad paisley & keith urban) both of whom are excellent guitar players in their own rights.
All of those bands you mentioned are good. I even enjoy Mike Tramp solo stuff and the lead singer from great white recent works

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:49 pm 
Metal Servant

Satan's Anus wrote:
Oh, and check out Places of Power, if you want a killer album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXitDvc9v6w

:dio:

Yeah I have that one, Bruce Turgon from Foreigner is involved in this project. Great record with Philip Bardowell on vocals.

Post subject: Re: Anybody listen to Melodic Rock here?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:51 pm 
Metal Servant

Satan's Anus wrote:
pingusthegreat wrote:
I know that musical styles that members have around here varies but I'm a big fan of Melodic Rock and labels like Frontiers Records who releases and manages to reunites alot of past acts and release new material. Bands like Giant, Unruly Child, Stan Bush, First Signal, W.E.T, some of the recent one's that have put out great records.

Any thoughts on Melodic Rock bands you guys listen to? :dio:

Love that shit! Just got all these in the mail:

Anderson/Laine/Readman - Three
Crash The System – The Crowning
Eden’s Curse – Seven Deadly Sins: The Acoustic Sessions
Fair Warning – Brother’s Keeper (w/Bonus Track)
Fair Warning – Rainmaker
Kickhunter – All In
Kip Winger – From The Moon To The Sun (w/Bonus Track)
S.I.N. – Somewhere Into Nowhere
Slamer – Nowhere Land
Stan Bush - Dream The Dream
The Lou Gramm Band – The Lou Gramm Band (w/Bonus Tracks)
Tony Harnell And The Mercury Train – Round Trip (w/Bonus Track)
Vicious Mary – Vicious Mary

Last week, when The End Records had 60% off, there were a ton of Frontiers Records albums. Last night, with 70% off, there were still a few, so I bought those as well.

Dude quite a collection you bought there......awesome blast of melodic rock......i love Fair Warning and Stan Bush and really looking forward to the new Eden's Curse......sounds killer from the samples I've heard.