Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:26 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:03 am 
Ist Krieg

ITNE is as good as it gets in the genre.

As for Anthems, it's too incoherent (some would call it controlled chaos, I call it directionless and confused as to what it wants to be, kind of their identity crisis album)... that being said it definitely has its moments, i.e. The Wanderer, Loss And Curse Of Reverence, The Acclamation Of Bonds, With Strength I Burn.

IX Equilibrium (I always felt) was what Anthems wished it was. More disciplined, more mature and more darkly epic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:40 am 
Einherjar

I'll get on that, ITNE being their best seems to be the consensus here so that's the best place to start

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:29 am 
Ist Krieg

RelentlessOblivion wrote:
I'll get on that, ITNE being their best seems to be the consensus here so that's the best place to start

It is the only place to start, imo. The very first track is a bit long compared to the rest, but introduces everything else you'll hear on the album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tccZs_veliA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:18 pm 
Ist Krieg

huskerc7 wrote:
I didn't like the vocals on Prometheus.
Then you definitely wouldn't like Ihsahn's solo output. I have nothing bad to say about Prometheus. It just wasn't the Emperor that I love.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:00 pm 
Metal Lord

traptunderice wrote:
huskerc7 wrote:
I didn't like the vocals on Prometheus.
Then you definitely wouldn't like Ihsahn's solo output. I have nothing bad to say about Prometheus. It just wasn't the Emperor that I love.

Yeah, it's really quite awesome once you accept it for what it is though. Kinda like Carcass' Swansong, though maybe thats a more extreme comparison.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:39 pm 
I live with my parents!

The most played Emperor albums for me are Anthems and Prometheus. I don't think any album will come close to the majesty of Anthems. As for old Emperor ItNC is of course timeless and I have played it many times but both the aforementioned albums have been played more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:41 pm 
Ist Krieg

Yeah, I know I'm the odd man out here, but I never really liked Anthems as much as their other material.
Much prefer IX Equilibrium.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:47 pm 
I live with my parents!

cry of the banshee wrote:
Yeah, I know I'm the odd man out here, but I never really liked Anthems as much as their other material.

Hmmm... Who can forget the demolition power of Curse You All Man! or Decrystallizing Reason . I love IX. I haven't heard it in years though. Maybe I'll give it a go after I'm done spinning the current album. Cheers for motivating me to give it another listen after all these years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:16 pm 
Ist Krieg

I always thought Anthems was a pretty hit and miss album. Certainly Loss and Curse of Reverence and With Strength I Burn were tremendous, maybe the way the intro bled into Ye Entrancemperium, but that was about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:20 pm 
Ist Krieg

North From Here wrote:

I always thought Anthems was a pretty hit and miss album. Certainly Loss and Curse of Reverence and With Strength I Burn were tremendous, maybe the way the intro bled into Ye Entrancemperium, but that was about it.
That. I really liked it when I was into symphonic black metal and there are probably countless posts on here of me saying that it's their best, but after I grew out of that phase, IX all the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:37 pm 
Ist Krieg

traptunderice wrote:
North From Here wrote:

That. I really liked it when I was into symphonic black metal and there are probably countless posts on here of me saying that it's their best, but after I grew out of that phase, IX all the way.

You and V actually have convinced me to listen to Anthems versus IX again. Well done guys. :lol:

I do think IX was a better representation of the album Emperor wanted to make at the time. Anthems sort of feels like a transition phase to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:11 am 
Svartalfar

ANTHEMS TO WELKIN IS A FIERCE TREATISE ON SYMPHONiC BM, THERE ARE MANY gOOD songs. AND THE FAST TEMPO SERVED az a Forbearer 4 many bands like DrauTRAN anD ANOREXIA NERVOSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:36 pm 
Metal Lord

troll ^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:21 pm 
Metal Slave

JAPANESEPENIS wrote:
ANTHEMS TO WELKIN IS A FIERCE TREATISE ON SYMPHONiC BM, THERE ARE MANY gOOD songs. AND THE FAST TEMPO SERVED az a Forbearer 4 many bands like DrauTRAN anD ANOREXIA NERVOSA

What in gods name....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:10 am 
Ist Krieg

I actually liked the last Ihsahn album, traptunderice.

I agree with cryofthebanshee on anthems in a way...it is a little too chaotic for my taste and yes, ITNE is one of the best albums the genre has to offer!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:03 pm 
Ist Krieg

Is it safe to say Emperor is the best black metal band ever? Yeah? Okay, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:04 pm 
Ist Krieg

traptunderice wrote:
Is it safe to say Emperor is the best black metal band ever? Yeah? Okay, thanks.

No, because they only put out one full length black metal album.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:10 pm 
Ist Krieg

traptunderice wrote:

Pfff. Once you invent black metal, basically any variations that result are you expanding the limits of the project that you created.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:15 pm 
Ist Krieg

traptunderice wrote:
traptunderice wrote:

Pfff. Once you invent black metal, basically any variations that result are you expanding the limits of the project that you created.

:lol:
Emperor didn't invent black metal, come on now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:17 pm 
Ist Krieg

traptunderice wrote:
traptunderice wrote:

:lol:
Emperor didn't invent black metal, come on now.
Listened to ITNE a few times in the last few days, and nothing out of that original Norwegian scene can touch that album. I know I'm technically wrong. But I'm so right.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next