Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 9:58 am

Post subject: Coroner
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:34 pm 
Einherjar

didn't see a thread for these tech-thrash turned who knows what monsters so decided to make one

in my opinion the Punishment For Decadence album is THE best thrash album ever made, EVER, ruthlesss neck-snapping riffs, vocals with so much aggression you feel like the song is about to bludgeon you to death what more is there to say, damn they got strange later on though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:05 pm 
Metal Lord

Best thrash band ever, period.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:27 pm 
Einherjar

Not even close to the best, but from what I've heard from R.I.P it was decent if not aimless and boring at certain times. Nosferatu was a good song though, Sadus are way better and more interesting than these guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:13 am 
Einherjar

I was expecting this from a certain other forum member who I've encountered elsewhere, he seems to think virtually every band I like is pure garbage but unless you go by the alias ReturnToCarthage it seems I have yet another person to argue frequently with, hooray

now go listen to Punishment For Decadence, have your mind blown, then come back here and talk to me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:37 am 
Metal Lord

Tehom wrote:
Not even close to the best, but from what I've heard from R.I.P it was decent if not aimless and boring at certain times. Nosferatu was a good song though, Sadus are way better and more interesting than these guys

Decent eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiNSvVgwX2Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtQhsZYKne0

Basically some of the most ridiculously awesome music ever recorded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:58 am 
Einherjar

Its not that great good musicianship sure, but nothing that bands like Sadus, Toxik, Realm, or Holy Terror who are equally as gifted yet can actually do more than just constant solos every minute and forty five seconds. I don't need specific songs, I've heard these guys and one album is all I need from them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:25 am 
Einherjar

that's incredibly narrow-minded, to write off an entire discography based on just one album seems to me profoundly stupid, there is so much great metal out there that you would miss out on just because you heard one album by the band and thought it was garbage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:19 am 
Einherjar

I never said it was garbage, I said they were ok with some good moments here and there but its really not my type of sound. If they'd write some intense song passages, keep the wanking down to a minimum, and were just a more interesting band overall, maybe I'd be more of a fan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:13 am 
Einherjar

in this instance you said one album was enough for you to make a decision on their entire discography is that more or less correct? I was just expressing my opinion, that just one album can never be enouch to make a call on any band, I think you would like some of their later period music they became quite abstract, still thrash but a bit stranger in terms of sound and song composition

also I have to ask if you have heard the album I mentioned

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:19 am 
Einherjar

Like I said I'm not interested in their stuff, same with Psychotic Waltz, Watchtower, Mekong Delta and all of the other boring ass tech bands that forego good songs for just showing off their instrumental chops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:25 am 
Einherjar

no getting through to you is there? honestly you are EXACTLY like ReturnToCarthage on metalforum.com (sorry but I have no idea what he goes by here) can not be bothered arguing with someone so close-minded, you want to write off bands based on one album be my guest

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:45 am 
The Commish

You hit the nail on the head by calling him narrow minded. Your just wasting your time and effort.

Coroner kicks ass and Steve is a tool. And the world goes on...

I do prefer old Vendetta though. Brain Damage is a masterpiece, or thrasterpiece as I like to call it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:50 am 
Einherjar

DevotedWalnut wrote:
You hit the nail on the head by calling him narrow minded. Your just wasting your time and effort.

Coroner kicks ass and Steve is a tool. And the world goes on...

I do prefer old Vendetta though. Brain Damage is a masterpiece, or thrasterpiece as I like to call it.

Tankard still suck Rosie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:51 am 
Einherjar

I'll have to check that one out as I actually haven't heard that album or anything else by that band

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:57 am 
MetalReviews Staff

I prefer Holy Terror over Coroner. Doesn't mean that Coroner sucks though. They are fucking awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:08 pm 
Einherjar

Coroner win out for me (have heard quite a bit of Holy Terror but don't actually own any of their albums)

D.R.I are another thrash band I don't think are rated highly enough, outstanding example of the NWOBHM-Punk fusion that gave birth to thrash in the first place

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:31 pm 
Ist Krieg

Coroner are cool. Creative riffs. Singer's a bit dull though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:48 pm 
Metal Lord

noodles wrote:
Coroner are cool. Creative riffs. Singer's a bit dull though.

It's thrash :P

At least the vocals aren't outwardly annoying like a lot of bands in this genre.

RelentlessOblivion wrote:
that's incredibly narrow-minded, to write off an entire discography based on just one album seems to me profoundly stupid, there is so much great metal out there that you would miss out on just because you heard one album by the band and thought it was garbage

It's especially stupid when No More Color and Punishment For Decadence are considered their classics and he is basing his opinion on one of their lesser efforts (though admittedly I haven't given much attention to r.i.p yet).

Last edited by belowthelights on Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:48 pm 
Ist Krieg

Coroner is a damned good band, but the best?
It would be more accurate to compare albums rather than bands, for instance, Kreator's Pleasure To Kill is probably better than Punishment For Decadence. As is Sepultura's Beneath The Remains / Schizoprenia, Slayer - Hell Awaits, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:12 pm 
Ist Krieg

cry of the banshee wrote:
Coroner is a damned good band, but the best?
It would be more accurate to compare albums rather than bands, for instance, Kreator's Pleasure To Kill is probably better than Punishment For Decadence. As is Sepultura's Beneath The Remains / Schizoprenia, Slayer - Hell Awaits, etc.
Good point.

I agree with Steve albeit not as bluntly as he puts it. Coroner is a great band in terms of musicianship but they lack that energy I like in my thrash. I like my thrash with a definite punk youthfulness to it and hence haven't really gotten into what might be called second wave thrash bands like Coroner or Mekong or Holy Terror. I'm no historian of the genre, but I really do prefer the generic Slayer and 'deth options to the aforementioned because they are presenting the music in a much more upfront way more similar to punk it seems to me.