Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:53 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   

Bruce Dickinson vs Eric Adams
Bruce 73%  73%  [ 22 ]
Eric 27%  27%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 30
 Post subject: Re: Bruce Dickinson vs Eric Adams
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:24 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Quote:
As far as what Bruce did: Cashed in as much as fucking possible, has no respect for the music he is involved with, and his activities outside of the band are selling and investing in machines that murder children, ect.

Like to see your reasoning behind 'cashing in as much as possible' and proof of having no respect.

The drone thing has been firmly denied, btw.

http://loudwire.com/iron-maiden-rep-bru ... -military/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:41 pm 
Einherjar

Fine, I'll go with bitching about people smoking in the audience. A real singer isn't bothered by any of that crap since their lungs are just a storage device for air and not where the energy comes from in a real singer. Look at Kai Hansen, dude can smoke, drink and "party" and be able to sing and play guitar at a higher level than old brucey. Halford at least used to smoke too. Reminds me of Kahn complaining about the air conditioning debacle we had on the forum a few years ago. Come on guys, learn better technique and learn to heal your own voices with breathing technique. But again, they wanna listen to opera singers who have no science behind their technique.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:21 pm 
Ist Krieg

Adveser wrote:
I'll go read it, but I really don't give a shit what any other singer thinks because none of them know anything about what they are doing.

and singers wonder why nobody likes them

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:51 am 
Einherjar

noodles wrote:
Adveser wrote:
I'll go read it, but I really don't give a shit what any other singer thinks because none of them know anything about what they are doing.

and singers wonder why nobody likes them

Well, I've always said I would only take lessons from three people: Michele Luppi, Fabio Lione or Rob Tyrant. Luppi graduated from VIT and says he has his own vocal technique that he created, which I believe utilizes the "beyond scientific" things I have learned because that is the only way to produce his tone. Roberto has admitted he only understands about 25% of what he's doing. Fabio is one of the best ever and our voices are very similar when I choose to sing with his tone. Other than that, nah, nobody else has the power, range and clarity of tone or are so "trained" that they have misconceived what is going on from years of studying things that aren't scientific. My voice is quite different than anyone elses because my larynx cartilage is shaped differently, I have almost no adam's apple, extremely long vocal folds and I can actually invert the two pieces of cartilage and move them independently of each other. I'm quite the unique specimen vocally, but that doesn't change the fact that the body that produces the actual force has been totally misunderstood and left unquantified. For example, they say use the diaphragm, and I'll say "which one?" because you have two of them actually and they are interchangeably referenced for some reason. Not only that, but there's so much more to it than anyone is really aware.

You have to sing from the heart, and by that I mean your heart is the main source of the electrical energy in your body and the part of the nervous system that is mostly electrical. You can not sing using muscles alone. You have to coordinate bone conduction, muscle contraction and facilitate current flow in this way. You have to align the magnetic fields the body produces too before you can even get started, that is what "warming up" actually does, by the way.

Anyway, unless Bruce sounds like Lemmy when he talks, his voice is a choice to sound that gruff and muddy. Most singers are actually only singing with a small part of thier vocal system, that's why they have two octave ranges, or have several tones that sound far different. Nothing wrong with that, but anyone claiming a singer that uses and coordinates 20% of his voice is anywhere near the level of someone that uses a lot more is ridiculous and we are talking about personal aesthetics of tone and not singing by that point.

That's my Dio was so great, he was a true sorcerer who could use close to all of his voice, even if his range was not as incredible as the italians. But no one is as good as Fabio, period. His range and ability to fluidly transition among different registers is god-like, suggesting he's pieced together almost everything. I'm starting to believe that only I alone can change the tone to do whatever the hell I want, mediocre results aside.

I watched a video of Fabio and Michele Luppi singing duets at the VD 10th anniversary show and they are just on another level because the microphones, PA, and the energy in the room simply couldn't handle the amount of power they were generating and putting through the equipment. It was absolutely insane. I have a similar problem that I overload the shit out of mics when I sing with full power. Someone needs to invent a mic that has a membrane that's thicker so good singers actually sound good without the recordings being doctored to death.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:21 am 
Einherjar

Adveser wrote:
I really don't give a shit what any other singer thinks because none of them know anything about what they are doing.

Except Fabio Leone, right? :wink: Personally, I like Fabio much more as an opera singer than a metal singer. His stuff with Angra shows off his power and control much more so than in Rhapsody though I've always found his vibrato to be a little grating. Call it aesthetics if you like but I feel Bruce's vocals, and Adams' for that matter, are much better suited to metal than are Leone's. Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg4gtNHtT04

Not as good a cover as I would expect from Fabio. The "gruff" parts seem to give him some trouble and lack that bad-ass aggressive snarl that Dickinson brings to the song. However, I must say Rhapsody's cover of Flash of the Blade is first rate. A much better selection for Leone than The Evil that Men Do.

As for Bruce's "metal spirit," he can be a tit from time to time for sure but I've never heard of him being disrespectful towards Maiden's music or the metal scene in general. He's taken a few pot shots at Ozzy and Metallica (who hasn't?) but nothing to merit ass hat status. Proof is needed here.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:52 am 
Einherjar

Ohh, I could teach Lione to be a death metal beast if he wanted it. And he can growl too, just check out Athena's "A New Religion" or VD's "Here we die" It's just the absolute opposite of how he sings, so if he tried to make it sound like that with his regular singing voice it would be dangerous for him. You tend to sing moving your larynx around or your tongue around and you coordinate this with your jaw and the amount of lung pressure. There's about 5 things like that you need to shape before you even get to the stuff past your tongue that need to be coordinated. I'm just saying Lione has the ability to coordinate this stuff far better than virtually everyone because he has such great control of his tone and range. He did some extremely low stuff on the VD best of album, so he's probably naturally a Bass that sings as a counter tenor but is so good it is full bodied and resonant too. Warrel Dane is a Baritone and can't even sing like that despite all his amazing technique. Italians are like that though, they fucking talk across multiple octaves.

Anyway, back to Dickinson - He comes across as an actor playing a metal singer, not a real metal singer. I'm not gonna get into it, but there's characteristics that a real metal musician has that a fan that has discovered this will recognize as being fake right away. I hate to use the cliched "soulless" descriptor, but that's exactly what it is. The guy doesn't communicate any emotion to me. I can't say too much about Monowar, but they seem dedicated. I don't know their lyrics or their music well enough to tell you if they have it, but once you quantify it, it's obvious. The lyrics of power metal for example aren't cliches - they are deeply profound things that those people experience and they feel like they have gone mad or that they are the only one or whatever, but there's a ton of us running around that understand it. You would be shocked at how many songs are about the same exact shit rephrased in a more personal manner. Some bands are laughably seeing a pattern and trying to copy it without experiencing it and it's poser bullshit no matter how great they sound, or how convincing it is to the uninitiated. I'm talking about bands that if I named people would scream at me for suggesting they aren't "real" metal.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:36 pm 
Einherjar

Adveser wrote:
Anyway, back to Dickinson - He comes across as an actor playing a metal singer, not a real metal singer. I'm not gonna get into it, but there's characteristics that a real metal musician has that a fan that has discovered this will recognize as being fake right away. I hate to use the cliched "soulless" descriptor, but that's exactly what it is. The guy doesn't communicate any emotion to me.

I can see the "actor" qualities you refer to in Dickinson's performance today. Bruce does alot of other things outside of metal and probably doesn't have the same burning desire to kick an audience's ass like he did years ago. Maiden itself hasn't really crested any creative plateaus in quite a while either. But then again, what do they have to prove to anyone? I've always loved the band and feel that their 80's output stands with any metal band from that period or beyond. I still can't see how you think songs like "Children of the Damned," "Fear of the Dark" or "Seventh Son of Seventh Son" don't communicate any emotion though. Bruce is totally bad-ass on those tracks.
Adveser wrote:
Some bands are laughably seeking a pattern and trying to copy it without experiencing it and it's poser bullshit no matter how great they sound, or how convincing it is to the uninitiated. .

Most power metal bands have either been massively influenced by Maiden or directly derive their sound from them. The Maiden pattern, if you will. If you don't like them that's fine, but they certainly deserve the respect they have earned over a long, very successful career. Also, I hope you are not insinuating that Iron fucking Maiden is a "poser" band.

Last edited by Thrash til' Deth on Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: ueen
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:55 am 
Einherjar

Let me put it this way:

Saxon I don't believe understood what metal musicians generally constantly refer to but in a big big way, they have it all figured it all out. Just listen to their lyrics from Lionheart on. Whoever wrote those lyrics had a huge awakening that revitalized their careers totally. They totally turned it around. I'm not going to comment on Maiden because I'm not really a fan and haven't analyzed their lyrics to any extent.

But a shitload of bands from the 80's didn't know shit. They were just musicians playing a style of music, they were not the carriers of the metal flame, the templar flame, the blue flame of the third eye. The only 80's bands I can think of right away without thinking about it are Helloween, Queensryche, and especially Metallica.

If there were ever a chosen one in metal it was James Hetfield - from the way he used to sing, to the lyrics he writes, the guy was the living embodiment of an enlightened being. I don't know what happened. I guess it was the rampant cocaine abuse. That - or someone made damn sure to put a stop to it all by clouding his thinking and judgement. Perhaps they were destined to awake the world and they could see it coming and made sure to prevent this. The guy was so advanced he was even talking about Lycanthropy in his lyrics, which is about as advanced as it gets in these matters. Of course we are dealing a lot with the subconscious mind. If he had integrated his subconscious with his conscious mind, he would have never fell into the trappings of alcoholism, drugs, or fame or any of that shit. I suspect that bus accident was no accident. Someone saw the writing on the wall and interfered.
\

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:06 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

So you have no actual criticisms of Dickinson, just more esoteric conspiracy theory nonsense? As I thought.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:48 pm 
Einherjar

Goat wrote:
So you have no actual criticisms of Dickinson, just more esoteric conspiracy theory nonsense? As I thought.

Uh yeah: mediocre singing ability mixed with his inability to grasp or exhibit the mentality of metal musician, so yeah, I would greatly prefer the musician who does exhibit those qualities. Maiden's music is so lukewarm it can't possibly ignite a flame for me. I don't care who is influenced by them because in the early 80's no one was really tapping that vein at all. It took about another 10 years for the culmination of all this to happen and Maiden never caught up to it. Maybe on another timeline they did figure it out like a lot of others and became the absolute biggest thing ever, but for us, they ended up breaking up and reforming with a different singer.

Not that figuring out the secrets of our existence mean much. Morifade and Magnitude 9 did indeed figure it out and blatantly wrote about it, but got no where for their efforts despite great songwriting and having everything possible to succeed except for being promoted to death.

And where's the conspiracy in my post? The fact that I said that Hetfield was probably a dangerous entity if he continued writing in the same vein as he used to.

Sorry, but multiverses and multiple timelines are not conspiracies, they may be theoretical as far as science goes, but this is regarded as fact by militaries the world over, new age theorists, theoretical physicists, engineers, ect...People make it seem like it's just baseless nonsense.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:24 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Jesus wept.

Quote:
Uh yeah: mediocre singing ability mixed with his inability to grasp or exhibit the mentality of metal musician

Your standards are absurdly high if Bruce Dickinson is only a mediocre singer. And your point about the mentality of a metal musician is daft and still hasn't been explained properly.

Quote:
And where's the conspiracy in my post?

" I guess it was the rampant cocaine abuse. That - or someone made damn sure to put a stop to it all by clouding his thinking and judgement."
"Perhaps they were destined to awake the world and they could see it coming and made sure to prevent this."
"I suspect that bus accident was no accident. Someone saw the writing on the wall and interfered."

Saying that a shadowy someone got James Hetfield hooked on coke so that he couldn't 'awake the world' and keep writing about werewolves is the very essence of conspiracy theories, as is implying that Cliff Burton was murdered.

I guess I haven't listened to enough enlightened power metal, else I wouldn't be inclined to mock statements like this:

Quote:
Sorry, but multiverses and multiple timelines are not conspiracies, they may be theoretical as far as science goes, but this is regarded as fact by militaries the world over, new age theorists, theoretical physicists, engineers, ect...People make it seem like it's just baseless nonsense.

Holy shit, new age theorists regard it as fact?! And people don't take them seriously? Deaaaaaaaar me.

:rolleyes:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:48 pm 
Einherjar

Adveser wrote:
Maiden's music is so lukewarm it can't possibly ignite a flame for me. I don't care who is influenced by them because in the early 80's no one was really tapping that vein at all. It took about another 10 years for the culmination of all this to happen and Maiden never caught up to it.

You had been talking about other so-called poser bands copying other styles, but now you won't give credit to Maiden as a major influence to your pet sub-genre? Maiden laid the groundwork for so many other bands that they are too numerous to mention. And holy shit, nothing worthy of note came out in the early 80's. Are you kidding me?! Whatever you've been smoking it must have been the same shit that burned down Pompeii. Burned out and totally obliterated. Queensryche better than Maiden. Wow. I don't believe Geoff Tate would have the balls to even THINK that statement.

Last edited by Thrash til' Deth on Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:49 am 
Metal King

Adveser wrote:

mediocre singing ability

Example : James Hetfield.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:01 am 
Karma Whore

Oh come on guys cut Adveser some slack. He was gang raped by shemale bikers when he was in college :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:40 am 
Einherjar

MetalStorm wrote:
Oh come on guys cut Adveser some slack. He was gang raped by shemale bikers when he was in college :lol:

Even shemale DP cannot excuse this man's insanity.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:09 pm 
Metal King

He's sometimes entertaining though. Seems to be high on something or just in another world.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:05 pm 
Ist Krieg

Thy Serpent wrote:
He's sometimes entertaining though. Seems to be high on something or just in another world.

Apparently Adveser had been away so long (and Thrash til' death unaware of how he operates) that he was taken seriously, at least for a moment. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:46 am 
Einherjar

North From Here wrote:
Thy Serpent wrote:

Apparently Adveser had been away so long (and Thrash til' death unaware of how he operates) that he was taken seriously, at least for a moment. :lol:

I certainly hope that Adveser has just been pulling my leg this whole time. Some of the theories this guy comes up with are downright bizarre. Multiverses and multiple timelines. James Hetfield as an enlightened musical prophet. Cliff Burton murder conspiracies. The thread was starting to turn into the Eckhart Tolle Power Metal hour.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:43 am 
MetalReviews Staff

Oh god, he's been trolling us all along, hasn't he? :sad:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:30 am 
Einherjar

Trust me. This site will be famous one day when people start coming here to go through all my old posts to see exactly how, step-by-step, I did it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next