Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:35 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   

Bruce Dickinson vs Eric Adams
Bruce 73%  73%  [ 22 ]
Eric 27%  27%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 30
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:49 pm 
Metal Fighter

HAHAHAHAHAHAA

This thread must be a joke right? Dickinson has a wider range etcetc than Eric Adams? Either I'm deaf, or you guys haven't listened to Manowar (Battle Hymn anyone?). Either way Dickinson USED to be a metal singer. He had this hellbent roughness in his voice (just listen to early unofficial maiden live recordings, you'll know what I mean) that sent shivers down your spine. Now he's just a guy squealing with operetic vibrato. Give me a break! There really can't be no comparison in purely vocal terms. The rest is just up to taste.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:08 pm 
Ist Krieg

Asgardlord wrote:
HAHAHAHAHAHAA

This thread must be a joke right? Dickinson has a wider range etcetc than Eric Adams? Either I'm deaf, or you guys haven't listened to Manowar (Battle Hymn anyone?). Either way Dickinson USED to be a metal singer. He had this hellbent roughness in his voice (just listen to early unofficial maiden live recordings, you'll know what I mean) that sent shivers down your spine. Now he's just a guy squealing with operetic vibrato. Give me a break! There really can't be no comparison in purely vocal terms. The rest is just up to taste.

Nice avatar. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:12 pm 
Metal Fighter

Oooops, it kinda gave me away didn't it? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:24 am 
Metal Fighter

Bruce. Just because he did "Chemical Wedding" which is really outstanding! :D

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:30 pm 
Einherjar

Angel Black wrote:
Bruce. Just because he did "Chemical Wedding" which is really outstanding! :D

He also did Skunkworks, which is, well...a load of crapola!

I'm going to resurrect this little thread just because the other forumites teased it and all the Manowar hate makes me giggle. :D That being said, I'm going to play the devil's advocate and argue for Eric Adams here. His range, clarity and especially power are far superior to the Maiden frontman and he has been carrying Manowar, for better or worse, pretty much since the founding of the band. While Dickinson is an excellent composer in his own right, Steve Harris has always been the mastermind behind Maiden's success. Without Adams, I would argue, Manowar goes absolutely nowhere. Take away his power and infectious enthusiasm for the material, the band becomes a short-lived Joey Demaio man fantasy. Simple as that.

Post subject: Re: Bruce Dickinson vs Eric Adams
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:09 am 
Metal King

After listening to the entire Manowar discography except their latest, I still like Bruce more. One thing that bothered me was Eric overdoing his screams. I don't remember which track it was, but one of them just had him screaming so much, it was a pain listening to it. In terms of vocal ability, I think they are on par with each other.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:17 am 
Metal King

Thrash til' Deth wrote:
he has been carrying Manowar, for better or worse, pretty much since the founding of the band. While Dickinson is an excellent composer in his own right, Steve Harris has always been the mastermind behind Maiden's success. Without Adams, I would argue, Manowar goes absolutely nowhere. Take away his power and infectious enthusiasm for the material, the band becomes a short-lived Joey Demaio man fantasy. Simple as that.

I agree with Steve Harris being the man behind Maiden's success. But, I think Bruce carried Maiden ever since he joined the band as much as Eric has in Manowar. We all know what happened when Blaze joined them. Yeah, the song writing had dipped and it had more to do with the albums being weaker than with Blaze on vocals, but maybe had Bruce been there, his contribution could've made The X Factor and Virtual XI better albums?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:02 pm 
Einherjar

Thy Serpent wrote:
Thrash til' Deth wrote:
he has been carrying Manowar, for better or worse, pretty much since the founding of the band. While Dickinson is an excellent composer in his own right, Steve Harris has always been the mastermind behind Maiden's success. Without Adams, I would argue, Manowar goes absolutely nowhere. Take away his power and infectious enthusiasm for the material, the band becomes a short-lived Joey Demaio man fantasy. Simple as that.

I agree with Steve Harris being the man behind Maiden's success. But, I think Bruce carried Maiden ever since he joined the band as much as Eric has in Manowar. We all know what happened when Blaze joined them. Yeah, the song writing had dipped and it had more to do with the albums being weaker than with Blaze on vocals, but maybe had Bruce been there, his contribution could've made The X Factor and Virtual XI better albums?

Possibly, but the last couple Bruce records (No Prayer for the Dying and Fear of the Dark) were also a dip in quality for Maiden. Bruce was an integral cog in the Maiden machine and a major part of their success but he wasn't the most important member. Maiden was pretty damn good with Di'Anno on vocals and probably would have stuck with him if it weren't for his drug habits and lack of interest in touring. The Maiden core of Harris, Smith, Murray and McBrain is one of the best in metal and the band would have been successful without Dickinson. While Manowar have had some good players in the band (Ross "the Boss" Friedman comes to mind), they don't even come close to the Maiden standard. Adams turns the epic silliness of songs like Carry On and All Men Play on 10 into chest-pounding metal anthems. No small feat, Serpy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:53 pm 
Metal King

Thrash til' Deth wrote:
Possibly, but the last couple Bruce records (No Prayer for the Dying and Fear of the Dark) were also a dip in quality for Maiden. Bruce was an integral cog in the Maiden machine and a major part of their success but he wasn't the most important member. Maiden was pretty damn good with Di'Anno on vocals and probably would have stuck with him if it weren't for his drug habits and lack of interest in touring. The Maiden core of Harris, Smith, Murray and McBrain is one of the best in metal and the band would have been successful without Dickinson. While Manowar have had some good players in the band (Ross "the Boss" Friedman comes to mind), they don't even come close to the Maiden standard. Adams turns the epic silliness of songs like Carry On and All Men Play on 10 into chest-pounding metal anthems. No small feat, Serpy.

Good point there about FOTD and NPFTD.... being weak albums in spite of Bruce being in the band. Probably he was focusing a bit more on his solo career at the time. However, in spite of how great a vocalist Eric is, I find Manowar to be inconsistent. Contrary to most people who listen to metal, I think FOTD is a very good album. I'd score it around the 80s/100. IMO, Maiden released only 1 weak album with Bruce and that was NPFTD.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:41 am 
Einherjar

Thy Serpent wrote:
Good point there about FOTD and NPFTD.... being weak albums in spite of Bruce being in the band. Probably he was focusing a bit more on his solo career at the time. However, in spite of how great a vocalist Eric is, I find Manowar to be inconsistent. Contrary to most people who listen to metal, I think FOTD is a very good album. I'd score it around the 80s/100. IMO, Maiden released only 1 weak album with Bruce and that was NPFTD.

FOTD is a pretty uneven record as I recall but there are a few really solid tracks. I think Maiden was starting to wear down after the torrid pace they set in the 80's (Bruce especially) and these last two records reflected that. The absence of Adrian Smith on both albums cannot be overlooked either. And, yes, there is a definite inconsistency in Manowar's output. Not even the Dark Lord below could have rescued The Lord of Steel.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:06 am 
Einherjar

Thy Serpent wrote:
After listening to the entire Manowar discography except their latest, I still like Bruce more. One thing that bothered me was Eric overdoing his screams. I don't remember which track it was, but one of them just had him screaming so much, it was a pain listening to it. In terms of vocal ability, I think they are on par with each other.

You're probably talking about Gates of Valhalla or possibly House of Death and that is a valid counter point. I think if Adams were more selective of where he applies his screams (like Bruce), they would better serve the song. But I still believe that Dickinson's already considerable vocal chops are amplified because of the greatness of Maiden as a collective. Can anyone legitimately argue that Demaio is a better composer/lyricist than the trio of Harris, Smith and Dickinson?

Last edited by Thrash til' Deth on Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:08 pm 
Karma Whore

I agree. I always believe a band is good as a whole than the sum of its parts.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:28 am 
Karma Whore

Lol @ Adams being compared to Dickinson. Adams has a good voice but that gruff enunciating macho speak he does in Gayowar's songs gets grating. Dickinson is on another tear entirely when comparing their voices.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:53 pm 
Einherjar

Nickelback666 wrote:
Dickinson is on another tear entirely when comparing their voices.

Again, I think the quality of Maiden's songwriting gives Bruce a huge advantage here. Arguing personal preference is fine, but to say Eric isn't even in the ballpark is ludicrous.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:48 am 
Metal King

Thrash til' Deth wrote:
Thy Serpent wrote:
You're probably talking about Gates of Valhalla or possibly House of Death and that is a valid counter point. I think if Adams were more selective of where he applies his screams (like Bruce), they would better serve the song. But I still believe that Dickinson's already considerable vocal chops are amplified because of the greatness of Maiden as a collective. Can anyone legitimately argue that Demaio is a better composer/lyricist than the trio of Harris, Smith and Dickinson?

House of Death sounds familiar. Also agree Maiden's superior song writing plays a factor as well. Haven't heard Dickinson scream in any studio album after he re united with Maiden. Pity since I think he had a tremendous scream.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:27 am 
Einherjar

Anyone except Bruce. What a shitty human being he's become. Combined with his very average singing ability and how overrated Iron Maiden is in general, I'll take Manowar any day, and I'm not really a fan of theirs. I'm serious. Number of the Beast is like a 3/5 for me and that's supposed to be their masterpiece. MOst metal albums will be at least a 3.5. They have some great singles, but being a metal band that releases nothing but 8,9, or 10's as songs - they aren't that level whatsoever. Things may change, but I don't think bruce's voice or their average songwriting is going to endear me to them all that much.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:14 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Adveser wrote:
What a shitty human being he's become.

Que?

Quote:
Number of the Beast is like a 3/5 for me and that's supposed to be their masterpiece.

Ridiculous.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:45 pm 
Einherjar

Adveser wrote:
Anyone except Bruce. What a shitty human being he's become. Combined with his very average singing ability and how overrated Iron Maiden is in general, I'll take Manowar any day, and I'm not really a fan of theirs. I'm serious. Number of the Beast is like a 3/5 for me and that's supposed to be their masterpiece. Most metal albums will be at least a 3.5. They have some great singles, but being a metal band that releases nothing but 8,9, or 10's as songs - they aren't that level whatsoever. Things may change, but I don't think bruce's voice or their average songwriting is going to endear me to them all that much.

I think I can safely say you are a minority of one, sir. That band's appeal and influence across the metal landscape are second to none. Since when did Bruce become a "shitty human being" by the way?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:51 pm 
Metal King

Adveser wrote:
Anyone except Bruce. What a shitty human being he's become. Combined with his very average singing ability and how overrated Iron Maiden is in general, I'll take Manowar any day, and I'm not really a fan of theirs. I'm serious. Number of the Beast is like a 3/5 for me and that's supposed to be their masterpiece. MOst metal albums will be at least a 3.5. They have some great singles, but being a metal band that releases nothing but 8,9, or 10's as songs - they aren't that level whatsoever. Things may change, but I don't think bruce's voice or their average songwriting is going to endear me to them all that much.

Woah ! This thread was about their singing abilities, not about what kind of persons they are. Anyone but Bruce? So, Blaze is a better singer than Bruce? Bruce, an average singer ? Definitely a big NO. If you don't like his voice or singing style, that's fine, but calling him an average singer sounds more like a statement made out of grudge. I don't like Di' Anno's voice and singing style, but I wouldn't call him an average singer just because of that. There's no denying the fact that he had an amazing range. Iron Maiden's song writing of late probably has dipped, but their earlier albums, especially the ones from '80-88 (with maybe the exception of Somewhere In Time which, I don't know why is not mentioned more often) are undeniable classics. I think their songwriting was a strong point. Although Manowar have some metal anthems and are a kick ass band live, Maiden>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Manowar.

I had posted this before, posting it again. Here's what a classical voice teacher has to say about 5 different metal singers. You might be interested in reading what she has to say about Bruce.

http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2010/07 ... l-singers/

Notice the note regarding the initial reaction, “The first two guys are so impeccable that they’re each in their own way presenting a manifesto on how to sing well, irrespective of musical genre”. Bruce is the first and Dio the second.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:15 pm 
Einherjar

I've read those types of stories myself and another "singing" "expert" thought everyone basically sucked, except for Rob Halford. I'll go read it, but I really don't give a shit what any other singer thinks because none of them know anything about what they are doing. They are still using anachronistic terms from the 1700's bel canto era instead of the actual physics of what is going on. They don't even understand that the voice functions like a very complex circuit using forms of current flow that modern electronics can't even really describe it's so sophisticated. So I have very little respect for that entire industry, and it's snake oil, getting people to chase their tails to get them to buy shit or pay for "expertise" that can only incidentally or accidentally give results. I can pay a bum to be a second set of ears and give me a thumbs up or down. Seriously. I joined a vocal forum and those people are so out to lunch that they can't even begin to understand how the voice functions.

As far as what Bruce did: Cashed in as much as fucking possible, has no respect for the music he is involved with, and his activities outside of the band are selling and investing in machines that murder children, ect. He doesn't have the metal spirit as far as I'm concerned. Someone in that band does, but it isn't him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next