Login
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:52 am

Post subject: NEW IRON MAIDEN
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:33 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Single just dropped.

https://twitter.com/IronMaiden/status/1 ... 0066729990

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhBnW7bZHEE

Getting Rush - Clockwork Angels but NWOBHM vibes? Not awful. But please lads, not another double-album...

Post subject: Re: NEW IRON MAIDEN
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:54 pm 
Ist Krieg

I just listened to it and it was, yep, another iron maiden song. Nothing to write home about.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:04 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

huskerc7 wrote:
I just listened to it and it was, yep, another iron maiden song. Nothing to write home about.

:lol: Fair assessment. I definitely prefer the instrumentation to the lyrics, Bruce is sounding his age. Would have hoped for perhaps even a lightening of their sound, perhaps a step towards classic rock? Deep Purple have aged their sound well, for example. But I guess that wouldn't be Maiden if they weren't straining at the limits...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:16 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpuwr9fF7kw

New song out. Tbh it's way better than WotW if still very post-millennial of them, and I'm not loving that mix. Yet the synths are a nice addition, and the gallop-y riffing is incorporated pretty well for OAP Maiden?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:45 am 
Ist Krieg

It's not bad. Bruce is struggling a bit, but what can one expect? Synths sound pretty good. They've had 3 guitarists since 1999? Shows what I know about the band. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:43 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Starting to get bad vibes from some of the advance reviews.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/cdreviews/senjutsu/

Quote:
"Senjutsu" is a musical marathon exceeding 82 minutes and divided into 10 songs. Considering that the regular nature of verse-chorus-verse is thrown out the window, it's difficult to connect with some songs, even after repeated listening sessions. But with that said, there is so much detailed, nuanced material to enjoy that numerous full play-throughs seem mandatory. "Senjutsu" truly is a "grower," so to speak. Will today's short-attention-span listeners have the patience for it?

from a 9/10 review. Like, jesus, if it's a long boring mess just say so!

And https://www.sonicperspectives.com/album ... -senjutsu/
Quote:
What stands out, and unfortunately not a good way, is the keyboards floating over the chorus. It’s debatable whether keyboards help or hinder the sound, but it certainly stands to reason that if keyboards were deemed necessary, a better sound or player or mix or something could have been attempted. These keyboards sound like how the “Dance of Death” cover artwork looks. In continental Europe, where one cannot swing a French Baguette without hitting a prog-metal band, it couldn’t have been hard to locate a Tuomas Holopainen or some comparable keymaster to add the right sort of atmosphere. As it stands, the keys on the finished “Senjutsu” album are like some sort of Paul O’Neill demo tape about the meaning of Christmas.

Also apparently Writing on the Wall is Bruce at his strongest. Fuck me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:01 pm 
Ist Krieg

:lol: :lol: Sorry for your loss goat, but the way these reviews try to sugarcoat reality is amusing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:14 am 
MetalReviews Staff

I accept that Iron Maiden are in some ways beyond criticism, but Book of Souls was very flawed and it sounds like this will be, too. That final stretch of long Steve Harris epics is going to be a real slog. :lame: Still, "living legends, if you don't like it you're at fault, 98/100", etc etc. A negative review, if I do end up disliking it, will be akin to the proverbial small boy with his finger in the dike next to all the reviews rushing to praise it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:50 am 
Metal King

Hey folks ! Posting here after a long, long time. Hope everyone's safe and doing fine. I was listening to the tracks from this album. At least on the first listen, it looks like a step up from Book of Souls, an album that I wasn't able to get into. I don't recall repetitive choruses and the musicianship is solid. Just a little disappointed that they haven't gotten rid of the long acoustic intros. I wouldn't call this their best since [insert album name here], but it surely exceeded my expectations after the disappointing BOS. Will be picking it up as I think it will grow on me. I liked the last couple of minutes of The Parchment. Reminded me of the last few minutes of Seventh Son of A Seventh Son. Not as stellar, but pretty good.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:30 am 
Ist Krieg

Hi Thy Serpent! Good to read from you again. One undeniably great thing about new Maiden is it brings people back.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:44 pm 
Metal King

North From Here wrote:
Hi Thy Serpent! Good to read from you again. One undeniably great thing about new Maiden is it brings people back.

Hey! Good to see you here too. :D