Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:17 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:25 am 
Destroyer ov Spambots

I'd also go with Days of Purgatory. 21 songs, and a good introduction to early (best) IE.

Last edited by Bruce_Bitenfils on Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:28 am 
Einherjar

Hmm. Ok, then, maybe I'll have to pick it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:57 pm 
Einherjar

Thrashtildeth wrote:
Hmm. Ok, then, maybe I'll have to pick it up.

It's a must, really. It's the best IE album, I don't care it's a re-record.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:33 pm 
Metal King

I don't know, I've always felt there was something "off" about Days of Purgatory. I can't put it into words. Maybe the production... Maybe Barlow isn't quite performing up to his usual level.. I don't know, it's something.

Some good songs on there but I prefer to listen to the original recordings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:45 pm 
The Commish

Tompa wrote:
I don't know, I've always felt there was something "off" about Days of Purgatory. I can't put it into words. Maybe the production... Maybe Barlow isn't quite performing up to his usual level.. I don't know, it's something.

+1

Days of Purgatory is overrated.

Start with Iced Earth, Night of the Stormrider, and Burnt Offerings. A couple songs from Horror Show are worth your time, and a few newer ones. Either then that, stay away. Much better bands to invest your time into. And I consider myself a fan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:10 pm 
Metal Lord

Tompa wrote:

Yes. Same here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:42 pm 
Einherjar

DevotedWalnut wrote:
Tompa wrote:

+1

Days of Purgatory is overrated.

Start with Iced Earth, Night of the Stormrider, and Burnt Offerings. A couple songs from Horror Show are worth your time, and a few newer ones. Either then that, stay away. Much better bands to invest your time into. And I consider myself a fan.

Like what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:02 am 
Svartalfar

Burnt Offerings is my favorite Iced Earth album. With the exception of Pierced Spirit, every track is a hit for me. Night of the Stormrider and Horrow Show would be my second and third.

The self titled album has some really good songs, but Gene Adam as a vocalist is nothing more than a bad joke.

Something Wicked This Way Comes is a great album, but there are quite a few tracks there that I could do without.

Aside from the Gettysburg Trilogy at the end of The Glorius Burden, TGB is a major miss for me for more reasons than just my dislike for Tim Owens.

The two part Something Wicked saga is decent (Framing Armageddon actually has more quality tracks for me than Crucible of Man despite Tim Owens), but I find that these albums have to be listened to in their entirety to truly be enjoyed (they are concept albums after all).

I do like Days of Purgatory, but I do agree with the comments that the sound (and Matt Barlow) are somewhat off. If you want to hear Matt Barlow on tracks released prior to his joining the band, Alive in Athens is a far better choice.

While Dystopia certainly isn't a favorite, it has lead me to believe that there is still hope for this band. Also, I'm really enjoying Stu Block as the new vocalist. Saw Iced Earth when they toured with Symphony X (currently my favorite band) and he was absolutely killer. He doesn't take Matt's place in terms of preference., but if Stu had been the one to replace Matt in the first place, I wouldn't have been as set on a Matt return as I was with Tim on vocals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:02 pm 
Einherjar

this is pretty easy, tie between Night Of The Stormrider and Burnt Offerings both of which are very good albums

then Dystopia and Dark Saga tie (vocals are probably better on Dystopia with Stu Block and I can not believe I just said that) guitar is a little better on Dark Saga

the rest of their catalogue (I can not get through their self titled album at all the vocals just immediately put me off so that's not included) has maybe one or two good songs per album but no more then that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:50 am 
Svartalfar

RelentlessOblivion wrote:
this is pretty easy, tie between Night Of The Stormrider and Burnt Offerings both of which are very good albums

then Dystopia and Dark Saga tie (vocals are probably better on Dystopia with Stu Block and I can not believe I just said that) guitar is a little better on Dark Saga

the rest of their catalogue (I can not get through their self titled album at all the vocals just immediately put me off so that's not included) has maybe one or two good songs per album but no more then that

I'd agree with Burnt Offerings and NOTS being the best, but to say SWTWC and Horror Show only have one or too good songs? The trilogy of SWTWC along with Burning Times makes it a good album. And as for Horror Show, Dracula, Damien, Wolf and Phantom Opera Ghost are among the best Jon ever wrote.

If anything, I'd say Dark Saga is pretty uneven with A Question Of Heaven being the absolute highlight. The Ripper albums is pretty much a different band, and The Crucible Of man was terrilby uninspired.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:30 am 
Einherjar

Night of the stormrider would've been a godlike album if they actually played fast and Schaffer worried less about shitty chug riffing and actual fucking thrash. It had literally all of the ingredients but they fucked it up by playing mid-tempo, worthless ballads, and Schaffer's propensity for annoying chug riffs. Burnt Offerings always has been and always will be their only good album from an entire career of being a shit band.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:34 am 
Ist Krieg

Tehom wrote:
Night of the stormrider would've been a godlike album if they actually played fast and Schaffer worried less about shitty chug riffing and actual fucking thrash. It had literally all of the ingredients but they fucked it up by playing mid-tempo, worthless ballads, and Schaffer's propensity for annoying chug riffs. Burnt Offerings always has been and always will be their only good album from an entire career of being a shit band.

Pretty much agreed about Burnt Offerings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:20 am 
Einherjar

I was meaning on average, not that each album has two good songs on it, some don't have any worthwhile songs (crucible of man for example) the Ripper albums were horribly disappointing as well really not much I like about them, I just rate Dark Saga a bit higher for A Question Of Heaven, Vengeance Is Mine, Violate and the name of the other song I liked from that album escapes me, and I actually enjoyed quite a bit of Dystopia

Iced Earth aren't a great band by any stretch of the imagination but they do have some great albums and songs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:03 am 
Einherjar

I'll revise my above statement to this

Iced Earth aren't a great band, they have some great songs and good albums however, as a whole the band sits just above average, there are worse bands but there are many, many better ones

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:24 pm 
Metal Fighter

name 5 bands in the style of iced earth that are better :mad: :mad:

Post subject: Re: Favorite Iced Earth?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:09 am 
Einherjar

Stormrider without a doubt. Bought it in a clearance bin at CD Warehouse and was an instant fan. It was like the bastard child of Maiden and Metallica. Vicious riffs, well-executed time changes, and leads that actually complement the songs instead of distracting from them. Greely's vocals are a little weak but I hear Matt's voice on those tracks more often that not anyway. A real gem from a lean time for traditional style metal. At least in the U.S. anyway.