Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 12:48 am

Post subject: Hibria - Blind Ride
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:31 pm 
Metal Servant

Am i the only one who think that it's their best album and even better than their debut ?

It's heavier , grittier and more modern and straight forward then their previous two while still preserving the solos and catchy melodies they are known for. The vocals are a bit toned down but that's a good thing imho. There are also less solos but that's also a good thing as it makes the album sound less like a wankfest and make things flow more fluidly.

Certainly one of the best power metal album of 2011 so far. :dio:

Post subject: Re: Hibria - Blind Ride
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:51 pm 
Einherjar

Flying Knee wrote:
Am i the only one who think that it's their best album and even better than their debut ?

It's heavier , grittier and more modern and straight forward then their previous two while still preserving the solos and catchy melodies they are known for. The vocals are a bit toned down but that's a good thing imho. There are also less solos but that's also a good thing as it makes the album sound less like a wankfest and make things flow more fluidly.

Certainly one of the best power metal album of 2011 so far. :dio:

I don't like it. It's too heavy, almost Deathly, and Iuri's voice has lost power and range. All that you liked (tuned down vocals, less solos, heaviness, less memorable hooks, modern sound) I do not. I mean, why would you like less solos? They were awesome and well constructed, not a wankfest... Not a bad album, but definitively not their best. I really liked the debut because of the 80's feeling it have, but with the technique of the 2000's. That feeling is gone, it's a shame... hopefully Pagan's Mind will blow my mind away!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:54 am 
Ist Krieg

I haven't heard it yet, but from Alexander's post, I'm a little scared. I liked the debut for the same reasons and have always thought Iuri's voice was the best in metal... I can't imagine liking a power metal album more when it has toned down vocals, less solos, and less catchy melodies.

Post subject: Re: Hibria - Blind Ride
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:17 am 
Metal King

AlexandeR wrote:
I really liked the debut because of the 80's feeling it have, but with the technique of the 2000's. That feeling is gone, it's a shame...

+1

This one did nothing for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:38 am 
Destroyer ov Spambots

Yeah, same here. I somewhat enjoy the new album, but I dearly miss the tune of Defying the rules. Why the singer doesn't further exploit his vocal abilities demonstrated in the debut is beyond me.

Enjoyable album, nonetheless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:38 am 
Metal Servant

metalNESS wrote:
I haven't heard it yet, but from Alexander's post, I'm a little scared. I liked the debut for the same reasons and have always thought Iuri's voice was the best in metal... I can't imagine liking a power metal album more when it has toned down vocals, less solos, and less catchy melodies.

I wouldn't say it's less catchy.

I'd say it's a Helloween "Gambling at the Devil/7 sinners" type of catchyness.

Not sure if that makes sense but anyway :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:44 pm 
Einherjar

Flying Knee wrote:
metalNESS wrote:

Not really :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:09 pm 
Metal Servant

AlexandeR wrote:
Flying Knee wrote:
metalNESS wrote:

Not really :lol:

That's what i thought :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:07 pm 
Einherjar

Off topic but I always get a kick out of my guitarist friend screaming " He's just a steel lord on wheels! " all the time when he gets drunk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:40 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

This album is pretty damn bad. Reviewing it now, and I guess some people won't be too happy with it, but people are expecting speed metal to the brink of perfection. Not this bunch of shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:37 am 
Einherjar

When I was in the process of checking out some new bands to listen to, their name came up and listened to a track or two on Youtube and hated the vocals. What is with this trend of power metal bands hiring a semi-harsh vocalist? Fuck that, they are not singing raspy like Jonny from Nocturnal Rites, they are doing something else that sucks. I want Opera singers or Joe Lynn Turner clones god damn it.

So, you mean to tell me that I may have stumbled into a shitty album by them and that the vocals are usually what we can expect from power metal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:15 am 
Einherjar

Adveser wrote:
When I was in the process of checking out some new bands to listen to, their name came up and listened to a track or two on Youtube and hated the vocals. What is with this trend of power metal bands hiring a semi-harsh vocalist? Fuck that, they are not singing raspy like Jonny from Nocturnal Rites, they are doing something else that sucks. I want Opera singers or Joe Lynn Turner clones god damn it.

So, you mean to tell me that I may have stumbled into a shitty album by them and that the vocals are usually what we can expect from power metal?

Johnny from nocturnal rites sucks so i hope bands look elsewhere for inspiration

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:39 am 
Karma Whore

I have a copy of Defying the Rules somewhere... Still with its blister.
Must listen.
Is this album any good?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:04 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

No not at all... Check out Defying the Rules and Skull Collectors first

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:38 pm 
Ist Krieg

Defying the Rules is in a league of its own. I thought this band would become one of the best ever... yet another disappointment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:12 pm 
Karma Whore

Thanks.
I'll play it soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:13 pm 
Metal Servant

metal_xxx wrote:
This album is pretty damn bad. Reviewing it now, and I guess some people won't be too happy with it, but people are expecting speed metal to the brink of perfection. Not this bunch of shit.

Personally i won't really care and i'm never angry at reviewers for their opinions because ultimately this is what a review is.. I will disagree but not slug shit because of it.

And i still think the album is awesome. This is going to be a love it or hate it case i guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:53 pm 
Karma Whore

metal_xxx wrote:

What exactly is your problem with this one? I just sampled the intro and debut song and, though quite a radical change (adding tech and groove metal to their PM), I think it worked. Maybe the first song is the best one... I'll have to sample the whole album to be certain. Anyway, what are your thoughts on this first song and what are your problem with the band's new orientation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:47 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Yeah, the first three songs are pretty good, I state that in my review as well. It's the rest of it, like Blinded by Faith and Shoot me Down that is pretty terrible, and everything seems to blend in. I don't know, when I listened to this as a whole, I just waited for it to end after the first three tracks.