Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:56 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:17 am 
Ist Krieg

noodles wrote:
metalNESS wrote:
noodles wrote:
Quote:
The production on this album is curiously charming. Though it won’t win any awards for technical mastery with its overpowering feedback soaked guitars and reverberating vocals and drums, it somehow sounds perfect for this album, giving it a raw, garage band appeal, which could have been the intention for all I know. Whatever the case, Court in the Act sounds about as energetic as it possibly could.

I'm listening to this for the first time and I think that's what I like most about it :P. Pretty great album

Do you like the songwriting at all? B/c I think you would like some of Gamma Ray and Blind Guardian's stuff if you did.

Hmm, I'll have to listen to those bands. I remember hearing Blind Guardian a loooooooooong time ago but it was when my friend was like "OMG LULZ LOTR POWER METAL" so I didn't really take them seriously... but now I just listened to a Rhapsody album last night and thought it was awesome so I'll give them another try... any recommendations for where to start?

Download "And Then There Was Silence." It's the most ridiculously epic song ever; it puts anything by Rhapsody to shame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:50 pm 
Ist Krieg

Legacy Of The Night wrote:
noodles wrote:
metalNESS wrote:
noodles wrote:
Quote:
The production on this album is curiously charming. Though it won’t win any awards for technical mastery with its overpowering feedback soaked guitars and reverberating vocals and drums, it somehow sounds perfect for this album, giving it a raw, garage band appeal, which could have been the intention for all I know. Whatever the case, Court in the Act sounds about as energetic as it possibly could.

I'm listening to this for the first time and I think that's what I like most about it :P. Pretty great album

Do you like the songwriting at all? B/c I think you would like some of Gamma Ray and Blind Guardian's stuff if you did.

Hmm, I'll have to listen to those bands. I remember hearing Blind Guardian a loooooooooong time ago but it was when my friend was like "OMG LULZ LOTR POWER METAL" so I didn't really take them seriously... but now I just listened to a Rhapsody album last night and thought it was awesome so I'll give them another try... any recommendations for where to start?

Download "And Then There Was Silence." It's the most ridiculously epic song ever; it puts anything by Rhapsody to shame.

True

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:26 pm 
Einherjar

Legacy Of The Night wrote:
noodles wrote:
metalNESS wrote:
noodles wrote:
Quote:

'And Then There was Silence' is probably the most epic song I've heard in my entire life. So many mood changes, riffs, and talk about folkish tunes....was it Irish? Best epic song, ever!! :dio:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:14 pm 
Metal Slave

Good review!

I love this album. The dual guitar attack of Ramsey and Tippins is breathtakingly awesome!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:35 pm 
Einherjar

yes boys lets not forget this section is for Satan, not for Blind Guardian. If you want to discuss A Night at the Opera, take it over to the Power metal forum. This is for classic metal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:58 am 
Ist Krieg

Holy_Terror wrote:
yes boys lets not forget this section is for Satan, not for Blind Guardian. If you want to discuss A Night at the Opera, take it over to the Power metal forum. This is for classic metal.

And you're a homo. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:53 am 
Einherjar

Yes clearly a man who prefers Satan's harsher more unbrideled sound over that of Blind Guardian's almost too symphonic to be metal A Night at the Opera, is a homo. Man you must be 15 or something because you abuse the homo insult way too much. After you go to college and realize that there are way too many homos out there for you to walk around and casually use that word in regards to anyone that makes you feel stupid, then maybe you'll lighten up. Until then you'll probably just remain some backwards little hill billy boy from Nebraska riding the back of your Pa's combine hoping that one day you'll get the farm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:05 am 
Ist Krieg

holy_terror butthurt because we trolled his thread

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:15 am 
Einherjar

Aw noodle must be mad that Holy Terror made fun of Dragonforce.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:03 am 
Ist Krieg

i made fun of them too

l2read

o_____O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:45 am 
Karma Whore

Someone's mighty pissed off. All well H_T?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:11 pm 
Einherjar

Not pissed off, just a little annoyed that some people can't put an intellegent thought into anything they say. At least not recently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:21 pm 
Metal Servant

So you've got to run again,
You've broken your chains,
Now you've got to run run ruuuun

Gotta break free!

This stuff is
:dio:

Good review

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:19 pm 
Ist Krieg

i just listened to it yesterday. so god. i really wish they'd kept Brian Ross because none of their later singers are very good, and Blitzkrieg's music is kinda zzz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:58 pm 
Einherjar

I agree that Blitzkrieg is not as interesting as Satan, but I still think that Michael Jackson (yes, that's his name) did a great job on Suspended Sentence, which is another awesome Satan album. Brian Ross is not the greatest singer in the world, but he definately has this strange quality to his voice and vocal lines that make him far superior to many singers with better technique.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:55 pm 
Ist Krieg

yeah, his vocal lines on Court in the Act are just so good. he's just not as good on Blitzkrieg. the Michael Jackson albums are definitely worth hearing, but his voice kind of bugs me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:57 pm 
Karma Whore

Damn, I still have to check this out, it's been on my list since it was rewarderd Classic status here.. :omfg:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:59 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Anybody who has yet to experience the awesomeness of this album, it is being re-released again in limited quantity:

Metal Minds Prodcutions Mailer wrote:
Satan is one of the most important groups that emerged in the early NWOBHM era. Their unique mixture of heavy and power metal spirit with thrash riffage brought a handful of unforgettable tunes and revolutionized heavy music as we know it. “Court in the Act” is their debut release and in the same time their highlight. Ten tracks (including the intro) and over 40 minutes of music that was absolutely groundbreaking for a 1983 release. Satan managed to come up with a sound that was way ahead of their own time. The songs were melodic, but in the same time very aggressive – a sign of an upcoming revolution. Both guitarists, Russ Tippins and Steve Ramsey, delivered a truly amazing performance – although their styles were completely different, the duo managed to perfectly balance their playing and introduce a handful of timeless riffs and solos. The best example of the band’s impressive guitar virtuosity can be heard in the sharp and heavy tune “Break Free”, which features a dazzling 3-minute solo. Other highlights include the intensive “No Turning Back”, the atmospheric “Alone in the Docks” and the epic instrumental track “Ritual”.

“Court in the Act” remains one of Satan’s best releases, as well as one of the most unappreciated – even though the album hit the stores immediately before the thrash metal explosion, being somewhat a pioneer on the scene, it failed to gain the proper popularity it deserved. Most critics claim that this LP was just a bit too much for the average listener in 1983, when even such bands as Judas Priest and Iron Maiden played music nowhere near as dynamic and aggressive as Satan.

Now, thanks to this exclusive re-edition of “Court in the Act”, you can once again experience one of the best releases in the history of metal! After 25 years, this album still possesses the same force it had on the day of its premiere – a force that cannot be denied… New digipack edition includes 3 bonus tracks. Digitally remastered using 24-Bit process on golden disc, limited to numerated 1000 copies. Metal Mind Productions will release the album on 24th November in Europe and 20th January 2009 in USA (via MVD).

Satan
“Court In The Act” (remastered + bonus tracks)

Label: Metal Mind Records
Cat. No.: MASS CD 1242 DG
Barcode: 5907785033894
Format: CD Digipak (limited edition of 1000 numerated copies)
Genre: NWOBHM
Release date: 24.11.2008 Europe / 20.01.2009 USA

Tracklist:

1. Into The Fire
2. Trial by Fire
3. Blades of Steel
4. No Turning Back
5. Broken Treaties
6. Break Free
7. Hunt You Down
8. The Ritual
9. Dark Side of Innocence
10. Alone In The Dock

Bonus tracks:

11. Dynamo
12. Pull The Trigger
13. Break Free (single version)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:22 pm 
Ist Krieg

HAHA! Good thing, I just about bought this for 35 bucks... USED!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:13 pm 
Einherjar

Yeah if you think that's expensive someone is selling Legend's "From the Fjords" vinyl for 650 bucks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next