Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:52 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:37 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Well, by that I'm only saying I don't really cares about their influence, since they only influenced bad bands, and not many good shit. The Ramones led to more than Good Charlotte. Add to that I don't like Mayhem, so I conclude I don't like the album nor the undeniable influence it had...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:45 pm 
Metal King

Listening to the title track off DMDS right now. Seems like the recent crop of religious BM bands have spent a lot of time listening to this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:30 pm 
Ist Krieg

I'd say Darkthrone and Emperor had more influence on the entire genre of black metal or blackened metal than someone like Mayhem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:21 pm 
Metal Lord

emperorblackdoom wrote:
I'd say Darkthrone and Emperor had more influence on the entire genre of black metal or blackened metal than someone like Mayhem.

Perhaps.. but I have to wonder to what extent Darkthrone, Emperor, etc.
were influenced by Mayhem; they were around long before the second wave, in fact technically they could be considered a part of the first wave of Bkack metal...
I always liked Mayhem, and this album is quite good.
V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:53 pm 
Ist Krieg

Yes and yes. I don't love Mayhem but this was a good and very important album.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:22 am 
Metal King

valefor wrote:
were influenced by Mayhem; they were around long before the second wave, in fact technically they could be considered a part of the first wave of Bkack metal...

No they couldn't.

The first wave means bands like Venom and Bathory. Mayhem, Emperor, Darkthrone, Burzum, etc. are second wave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:28 am 
Metal Lord

emperorblackdoom wrote:
Yes and yes. I don't love Mayhem but this was a good and very important album.

i agree, if it didnt exist who knows what black metal would sound like today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:38 am 
Metal Lord

Jürgen wrote:
valefor wrote:

No they couldn't.

The first wave means bands like Venom and Bathory. Mayhem, Emperor, Darkthrone, Burzum, etc. are second wave.

Well, Mayhem were around in '86 or '87 (demo- Pure Fuckin Armageddon released in 86, Deathcrush in 87) just about the time that Bathory was in full swing... the second wave came in the early '90s... so Mayhem is probably borderline first wave...
please do not lecture me on the history of Black Metal, I know, I was there for it all.
V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:55 am 
Metal Lord

valefor wrote:
Jürgen wrote:
valefor wrote:

No they couldn't.

Well, Mayhem were around in '86 or '87 (demo- Pure Fuckin Armageddon released in 86, Deathcrush in 87) just about the time that Bathory was in full swing... the second wave came in the early '90s... so Mayhem is probably borderline first wave...
please do not lecture me on the history of Black Metal, I know, I was there for it all.
V.

i def wasnt there, ill take your word for it :D even listening to it cant give you that experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:21 am 
Metal Lord

Dudeguy wrote:
valefor wrote:
Jürgen wrote:
valefor wrote:

No they couldn't.

V.

i def wasnt there, ill take your word for it :D even listening to it cant give you that experience.

I know it sounds hackneyed and cliched, but it really was a special time for metal... I am very fortunate to have been a part of it; though it is fucking awesome to see that the black flame is being kept alive with new bands and new 'heads. Metal, especially Black Metal, will never die, it will just remain undeground.... why specifically Black Metal, you ask?
Because outside of Goregrind (UUGGGHH!) it is the purest, most primal and uncompromising of all the genres. It turns conventional "values" upside down, so to speak.
Hails and Cheers!
V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:51 am 
Metal King

valefor wrote:
V.

Sorry, didn't mean to lecture or anything.
I can agree that Mayhem could be called borderline 1st wave, although they started out as a death metal band.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:37 pm 
Metal Lord

Jürgen wrote:
valefor wrote:
V.

Sorry, didn't mean to lecture or anything.
I can agree that Mayhem could be called borderline 1st wave, although they started out as a death metal band.

Its cool, I had a splitting headache sorry if I may have come across as bitchy... I always thought their early material had a kind of "thrashy" feel to it. Also back then, Blackand Death were as of yet unclearly defined, at least in more than a few cases. Example: Tormentor-Anno Domini has (to my ears at least) definite thrash influences, though it is deemed Black Metal...Still whatever its called, I like it.
Hails!
V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:39 pm 
Metal King

valefor wrote:
Its cool, I had a splitting headache sorry if I may have come across as bitchy... I always thought their early material had a kind of "thrashy" feel to it. Also back then, Blackand Death were as of yet unclearly defined, at least in more than a few cases. Example: Tormentor-Anno Domini has (to my ears at least) definite thrash influences, though it is deemed Black Metal...Still whatever its called, I like it.

No offence taken.

I can see where your coming from. A lot of bands from the early days, like Sarcofago and Bathory for example, fall in between genres. Same thing with early death metal. Bands like Possessed and Death had very clear thrash influences.

I think that today BM is, in a way, too clearly defined musically. The vast majority of new BM bands base their sound too much on the pioneering bands like Darkthrone, just because that sound is considered the only way to play true BM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:28 pm 
Ist Krieg

I suppose it could be argued that one of the first wave black metal bands, Bathory, did more to create the viking metal subgenre than anyone else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:43 pm 
Metal King

emperorblackdoom wrote:
I suppose it could be argued that one of the first wave black metal bands, Bathory, did more to create the viking metal subgenre than anyone else.

Yeah, those lines are definitely clearer than the Black Metal ones for sure. I don't think I know of many other bands that have pioneered two genres of metal the way Quorthon's did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:52 pm 
Karma Whore

Radical Cut wrote:
emperorblackdoom wrote:

Yeah, those lines are definitely clearer than the Black Metal ones for sure. I don't think I know of many other bands that have pioneered two genres of metal the way Quorthon's did.

Yeah just look at Bathory - Hammerheart,this the prime example of how Viking Metal must be done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:06 pm 
Ist Krieg

Yep. Quorthon left the world too early. Bathory's legacy is vast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:31 pm 
Metal King

The_Voice wrote:
Yeah just look at Bathory - Hammerheart,this the prime example of how Viking Metal must be done.

Hell yeah! Bathory pisses all over most of the newer viking/pagan metal bands (which are Bathory ripoffs, basically).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:30 pm 
Metal Lord

mike jones, seriously though, this cd is short....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:32 pm 
Einherjar

Dudeguy wrote:
mike jones, seriously though, this cd is short....

FYI, it's an EP.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next