Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:51 pm

Post subject: Iron Maiden - Powerslave (#2653)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:24 pm 
You're welcome to comment on:
Quote:
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Heavy Metal
Quoted: CLASSIC

Click here to see the review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:42 pm 
Metal King

I m a little disapointed by this review.First , because you don't really describe the songs,you just say which one is your favorite(and you don't say why),which one is your less favorite,which one used to be your favorite,but you don't say much about the music(for The Rime...,you talk only about the lyrics,but you don't even mention the amazing passage in the middle of the song, with the bass solo, the strange noises of the ship,and Bruce reciting the poem).
Second,i'm disapointed because iwas expecting "Queen II" to be the classic this month(as Marty talked about a review of this one coming soon);i mean every metalhead knows every single note of Powerslave,which isn't the case with "Queen II"...unfortunately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:37 pm 
stub wrote:
I m a little disapointed by this review.First , because you don't really describe the songs,you just say which one is your favorite(and you don't say why),which one is your less favorite,which one used to be your favorite,but you don't say much about the music(for The Rime...,you talk only about the lyrics,but you don't even mention the amazing passage in the middle of the song, with the bass solo, the strange noises of the ship,and Bruce reciting the poem).
Second,i'm disapointed because iwas expecting "Queen II" to be the classic this month(as Marty talked about a review of this one coming soon);i mean every metalhead knows every single note of Powerslave,which isn't the case with "Queen II"...unfortunately.

agreed ! this is a lousy review indeed... I was expecting to read something with historical perspective, musical content & how you feel listening to the music.... Nothing ! :evil: just some teenager babbling about the lyrics (which has never been Maiden's strongpoint with a few exceptions anyway) & chosing his favorite songs without even explaining why...

Honestly, if I had never heard this album I would have no clue how it sounds reading your review.... and that is what a bad review is all about !

EDIT : re-reading your Priest's SWOD review I would have the same complains.... maybe you're just not fit to review classics... :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:14 pm 
Karma Whore

:(
oh well...
i was expecting a really in-depth and interesting review of maidens second best cd, but it was only very simple and boring review.
:(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:35 pm 
Sailor Man

WoW Emokid you are the meanest bitch ever! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:04 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

I was surprised that this one was never reviewed by us! :shock: I could have sworn it was......... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:26 pm 
Einherjar

How about reviewing something that hasnt been heard, or reviewed a thousand times. Sounds good to me. How about Morbid Tales by Celtic Frost....or Mental Funeral by Autopsy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:40 pm 
Karma Whore

Although I agree with the Classic status this gets, I do think it is a pretty badly written review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:56 pm 
Holy_Terror wrote:
How about reviewing something that hasnt been heard, or reviewed a thousand times. Sounds good to me. How about Morbid Tales by Celtic Frost....or Mental Funeral by Autopsy.

what about Delirious Nomad by Armored Saint or some Thin Lizzy ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:53 am 
Einherjar

Armored Saint in my opinion isnt deserving of classic status....but I say bring on the Thin Lizzy. I'd review Jail Break, or Johnny the Fox.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:59 am 
Sorry for disapointing you guys. Upon reading the review for about the 10th time, i do agree with most of you about your comments. As for Unholy Terror, I would never review those albums that you mentioned, because i am not a fan of that genre of metal. I mean, celtic frost is ok, but autposy , in my opinion, sucks. I have now seen some of the mistakes in my writing, and i will strive to do a lot better, and actually do the albums justice in future reviews. Thanks to most of you for actually reading and and giving constructive criticism to my reviews, it is much appreciated.

Brent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:54 am 
Brent@metalreviews.com wrote:
Sorry for disapointing you guys. Upon reading the review for about the 10th time, i do agree with most of you about your comments. As for Unholy Terror, I would never review those albums that you mentioned, because i am not a fan of that genre of metal. I mean, celtic frost is ok, but autposy , in my opinion, sucks. I have now seen some of the mistakes in my writing, and i will strive to do a lot better, and actually do the albums justice in future reviews. Thanks to most of you for actually reading and and giving constructive criticism to my reviews, it is much appreciated.

Brent

you should start with re-writing this crappy Powerslave review & give this album what he deserves !

and glad you didn't take my words wrong... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:13 am 
you had better believe i will if i get the ok from the team. there are so many things to be reviewed before we go doing re-reviews. but maybe i will get the go ahead. yet again, thanks emokid, i actually value YOUR opinion.

Brent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:30 am 
you had better believe i will if i get the ok from the team. there are so many things to be reviewed before we go doing re-reviews. but maybe i will get the go ahead. yet again, thanks emokid, i actually value YOUR opinion.

Brent

:D I'm flattered! :oops:

and to Holy_Terror :

if you do the Jailbait review, I'll take care of Nightlife, Black Rose & Renegade since these are my favorites ! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:26 pm 
Metal King

The Immortal Emokid wrote:

Brent

and to Holy_Terror :

if you do the Jailbait review, I'll take care of Nightlife, Black Rose & Renegade since these are my favorites ! :D

I'm very surprised since i thought i was the only one in this forum considering Night Life to be the best(or let's say one of the best) Thin Lizzy album,since this album has not much to do with heavy metal or even hard rock(for me,it has 2 hard rock songs among the 10 songs on it).For me its main qualities are:all the songs are great(really no fillers at all);all the songs are really different from each other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:39 pm 
stub wrote:

Brent

and to Holy_Terror :

I'm very surprised since i thought i was the only one in this forum considering Night Life to be the best(or let's say one of the best) Thin Lizzy album,since this album has not much to do with heavy metal or even hard rock(for me,it has 2 hard rock songs among the 10 songs on it).For me its main qualities are:all the songs are great(really no fillers at all);all the songs are really different from each other.

come dirait Lara Fabian : JE T'AIIIIIIIMEEEE ! :wink:

seriously, Renegade has the same qualities... what do you think of it ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:59 am 
Svartalfar

mmmhhhh,

I think that "live and dangerous" would be the perfect one for Thin lizzy, as it contains all their classics at the time, and the live versions are far more powerfull than the studio versions.

Thin Lizzy was always a kickin' ass live band.

Cheers. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:58 am 
Nightlife, Black Rose & Renegade still remain my fav' Thin Lizzy albums... Live & Dangerous is a great live album indeed but just a live album meaning you don't have new stuff in here so it doesn't reflect Thin Lizzy in that particuliar years which every album does... and that's what i love about Lizzy's albums... you can tell by what they contain where in their History the band was...

anyway, Thin Lizzy is imo the most underrated hard rock band of the 70's ! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:02 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

I do feel Armored Saint's "Delerious Nomad" could be a classic or an archive, great album. I also feel Celtic Frost's "Morbid Tales" or "To Mega Therion" could also be considered. We also need Coroner and Mithotyn, which I might do very soon. As for Thin Lizzy, I thought Marty did or was going to do the live album. My favorite is Jailbreak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:09 pm 
Metal King

stub wrote:

Brent

and to Holy_Terror :

come dirait Lara Fabian : JE T'AIIIIIIIMEEEE ! :wink:

seriously, Renegade has the same qualities... what do you think of it ?

Well,i took the time and listened one more time to Renegade; i agree with you about the fact that,like for Night Life,the songs range from great to very good and there are no fillers;but for my second point ,i see some differencies between those 2 albums: with Night Life ,you can take any song ,and the following song will be totally different;with Renegade,i see 2 things:first,this album has a direction(it begins heavy and then goes softer and softer all the way);second point,i feel here the songs go 2by 2:the album begins with the 2 biggest songs(talkin' about the length of the songs),the you have a couple of pure hard rock songs(Pressure will blow and Leave this Town),and then you have 2 hard rockFM songs(Hollywood and No One Told Him), and the album finishes with 2 soft rockFM songs(Mexican Blood and It's Getting Dangerous).Of course, the first 2 songs are completely different:Angel of Death is one of their heaviest tracks,Renegade is classic Thin Lizzy,soft hardrock.And i also forgot to mention Fats,the curiosity of this album:groovy track,with a great piano solo.