Quote:
Dio - Holy Diver
Heavy Metal
Quoted: 100 / 100

Click here to see the review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:35 am 
Svartalfar

Dun ... dun dun dun ... dun dun dun dun dun... Holy diver...

Its a great album... I bought it when it came out... dunno why ... I kinda hated Dio at the time (big Ozzy fan) but ... and its a big but... Dio can write songs... and even (lord help me) melodies... I heard Rainbow in the dark on the radio and I thought ... that keyboard needs a good tune up but ... its a great song... so off I went with my paper round money and bought it ... I even had to pay top price for it (£2.99 ... that was a lot in 1983)
I wasn't disapointed... I hadn't really heard of any of the other people on the album (Vinny Appice - Drums Jimmy Bain - Bass Vivian Campbell - Guitar ) but it made my headbang...
You should also check out The Last In Line ... not quite so strong through out but We Rock is worth the purchase price alone...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:51 am 
Metal Fighter

I was just like you too. I was a huge Ozzy fan, when I found out about DIo. About 5 years ago, I purchased one of those cheezy, Metal Hits of the 80's CDs (I'm ony 22 years old, so I missed heavy metal's heyday). On that CD, they had The Last in Line, which was by far the best song this particular compilation.

In the liner notes, it was mentioned that Dio was a former singer from Black Sabbath. Being a huge Ozzy/Sabbath fan at the time, I decided to look further into Dio, since the song Last in Line was so good. Needless to say, Dio's cds from the 70's through the 80's were incredible. Holy Diver was just one of his many gems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:51 pm 
Jay 100 / 100
Alex 100 / 100
Ben 100 / 100
Crims 100 / 100
Danny 100 / 100
Jeff 100 / 100
Marty 100 / 100
Mike 100 / 100

Woah... Best average score at Metalreviews.com, thats for sure! Maybe not my all time favorite album, but when considering the impact this had on the metal scene at the time and how much it influenced other bands the score can be no other than..:

Tompa 100 / 100 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:28 pm 
Einherjar

I've only recently got into metal.. About 3 years now. Anyways, I heard the name Dio from a friend and then I saw Holy Diver at a store for like $9.99 so I gave it a chance and I bought it.. I must say, it's definately worthy of that 100/100, I own alot of albums from recent years and none have the staying power as Holy Diver did and still has (on me).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:58 pm 
Dio owns ozzy.

Heaven and Hell >

This CD is awesome to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:34 am 
[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:18 am 
Husker wrote:
Dio owns ozzy.

Solo carrer, yes. But I'll take Paranoid or Sabbath Bloody Sabbath over Heaven and Hell anyday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:26 am 
Metal Servant

Anyone remember when OZZY was hanging a dwarf named "Ronnie" on stage at every show? It was OZZY's way of saying "fuck you Dio, you took my job, but look at me now!"

Those two actually had quite the feud going for a couple of years in the early 80s. And I loved every minute of it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:06 pm 
I had a somewhat funny way of discovering Dio: I was listening to a talkshow of Henry Rollins when he suddenly mentions Black Sabbath and RJD and starts singing "look out it's danger. Nowhere to ruuuuun. Seems like desperate measures but sometimes it has to be done" I checked it up and since then I've loved Dio. Falling off the Edge of the World and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath are my 2 favvs from Black Sabbath:) Hell.. I even like Tony Martin...

Post subject: Dio = King
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:20 pm 
Einherjar

Dio is the master of metal....no beans about it. I'll take him over Ozzy as well....even his Sabbath stuff was better. Ozzy is a sell out hack and deserves to have his name erased from metal....except for his early sabbath albums...his solo stuff can go to hell..especially after Blizzard of Ozz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:02 am 
Banned Mallcore Kiddie

I don't like 2 songs on this cd--Gypsy and Caught in the Middle, but otherwise it is great.

Post subject: Re: Dio = King
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:56 am 
Holy_Terror wrote:
Dio is the master of metal....no beans about it. I'll take him over Ozzy as well....even his Sabbath stuff was better. Ozzy is a sell out hack and deserves to have his name erased from metal....except for his early sabbath albums...his solo stuff can go to hell..especially after Blizzard of Ozz.

nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense... BIG FUCKING NONSENSE !!!!!

when are you gonna stop ? Blizzard of Ozz is a great album, Diary of a Madman is good, Bark & the Moon is okay, Ultimate Sin is very good, No Rest For the Wicked is weak, No More Tears is good etc... not to mention the Sabbath era (way better than any Dio !)

so, okay, now he is on MTV (mainly because his wife decides he has to be) but, come on, the man took far too much drugs and alcohol to be perfectly sane... I remember I did an interview with him in 1992 and it was pathetic : he stutters horribly, forgets the question while answering it & calls "Mum" at least every five minutes... but he still is a great singer & a huge figure in Metal History (i LOVE Down to Earth & I'm really looking forward to the new Black Sababth album ! :twisted:

as for Holy Diver I'll give it 95/100, all ths songs are great but the synthesisers sound tends to bore me... Blizzard of Ozz is 100/100 by the way ! :wink:

Post subject: Re: Dio = King
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:41 am 
Banned Mallcore Kiddie

The Immortal Emokid wrote:
Holy_Terror wrote:

nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, nonsense... BIG FUCKING NONSENSE !!!!!

when are you gonna stop ? Blizzard of Ozz is a great album, Diary of a Madman is good, Bark & the Moon is okay, Ultimate Sin is very good, No Rest For the Wicked is weak, No More Tears is good etc... not to mention the Sabbath era (way better than any Dio !)

so, okay, now he is on MTV (mainly because his wife decides he has to be) but, come on, the man took far too much drugs and alcohol to be perfectly sane... I remember I did an interview with him in 1992 and it was pathetic : he stutters horribly, forgets the question while answering it & calls "Mum" at least every five minutes... but he still is a great singer & a huge figure in Metal History (i LOVE Down to Earth & I'm really looking forward to the new Black Sababth album ! :twisted:

as for Holy Diver I'll give it 95/100, all ths songs are great but the synthesisers sound tends to bore me... Blizzard of Ozz is 100/100 by the way ! :wink:

Ozzy's solo albums are just too rock n' rolly for me. The songs are mostly boring, soft and too simple. Dio is way better than Ozzy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:56 pm 
Metal Servant

i like this albüm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:41 am 
Metal King

I first heard this cd when i was 6 and i was ahngin out with my uncle who was a metal head (now a born again christian strange enough). He gave my young impresionable mind metal and it took root.
10 years latter i see the cd in a store for cheap and remeber the song Rain bow in the dark from hanging with my uncle. The albom then remained in my cd player for about three weeks.

Dio is the man who got me into metal in my wee years

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:59 am 
Dio owns ozzy, I agree with holy terror on this one.

Dios black sabbath stuff was better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:39 am 
Husker wrote:

:shock:
can't believe what you just wrote... so, okay, I respect your opinion though I think it's full of shit ! Ozzy Slays Ronnie anytime when talking about their Black Sabbath works

same goes with the solo careers anyway... from Ozzy I love Blizzard of Ozz, but all the other albums are pretty good... Dio has a classic album too (Holy Diver of course) but a lot of shitty albums from Sacred Heart ( :lol: ) to Killing The Dragon there's hardly one song I find up to his previous career... plus Ozzy doesn't need to pretend he slays the dragon to be a true good performer... Ozzy looks weird on stage, kinda like a Bear, and does silly moves with his arms but he owns the place !!!

one last thing, imo, the best Dio ever did was with Rainbow & particullary on "On Stage" which is simply one of the five greatest live albums in the rock history (yeah ! not just metal !)... for this I'll always be grateful ! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:36 am 
Banned Mallcore Kiddie

Husker wrote:

can't believe what you just wrote... so, okay, I respect your opinion though I think it's full of shit ! Ozzy Slays Ronnie anytime when talking about their Black Sabbath works

same goes with the solo careers anyway... from Ozzy I love Blizzard of Ozz, but all the other albums are pretty good... Dio has a classic album too (Holy Diver of course) but a lot of shitty albums from Sacred Heart ( :lol: ) to Killing The Dragon there's hardly one song I find up to his previous career... plus Ozzy doesn't need to pretend he slays the dragon to be a true good performer... Ozzy looks weird on stage, kinda like a Bear, and does silly moves with his arms but he owns the place !!!

one last thing, imo, the best Dio ever did was with Rainbow & particullary on "On Stage" which is simply one of the five greatest live albums in the rock history (yeah ! not just metal !)... for this I'll always be grateful ! :D

Wow what a bunch of lopsided bullshit. Dio is better in every way possible than Ozzy, no question about it. And when did Dio pretend that he slays a dragon? It is just a song. But Ozzy does make good pretention that he is Back on Earth :lol: (awesome song by the way)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:57 pm 
WinterIsComing wrote:
Husker wrote:

Wow what a bunch of lopsided bullshit. Dio is better in every way possible than Ozzy, no question about it. And when did Dio pretend that he slays a dragon? It is just a song. But Ozzy does make good pretention that he is Back on Earth :lol: (awesome song by the way)

so I guess you haven't seen Dio on stage in the 80's... I did ! on one tour (maybe Sacred Heart) it did slay a latex dragon on stage with an alluminium sword, so impressive ! :P then on the next tour he teamed with Craig Goldie in order to slaughter a (latex again) spider.... I guess, since I haven't seen in him a long time that he doesn't do it anymore bu he certainly used to ! :twisted: