FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:56 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:23 pm 
Svartalfar

huskerc7 wrote:
yeah epic is easily their most popular song

For some reason I thought Easy was rather popular (and it's a cover), but I could be confused at this late date.

I bought The Real Thing not long after it came out in 1989 and couldn't stop playing it for months. I had heard "Surprise You're Dead" and one other song on a kick-ass radio show from Phoenix and had to get it right away. I loved the fact that none of the sounds were identical to any of the other songs on the album. At the time, you'd get, say, a Testament album and pretty much know what you're going to hear throughout the album on the first song. Not that I'm criticizing Testament, but Faith No More showed a lot of creativity that other bands lacked.

The first week of school that fall of 1989, Faith No More opened for Metallica in Phoenix. I didn't go but I overheard kids in my class saying how the opener sucked and worse, they had a keyboard player! That was a major foul at the time. Funny how metal has long progressed from that. I tried and tried to get friends to listen to The Real Thing, but most ignored me until the following year when "Epic" became a huge hit and everyone wanted to borrow my copy.

I think Angel Dust was a better album overall, but The Real Thing is still a fantastic album that got overlooked for awhile until the novelty of "Epic" caught on via MTV.