Quote:
Pestilence - Spheres
Technical/Progressive Death Metal
Quoted: CLASSIC

Click here to see the review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:00 am 
Karma Whore

Good review, being a fan of their first three albums it took me a long time to appreciate this, i now like it more than what i used to, but i still think its their weakest, not sure if i would call this a classic but this is nowhere near as bad as people say it is, havent heard it in a long time though, i think i should listen to it again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:11 am 
MetalReviews Staff

Good review, interesting choice...

IMO the thing with this album is that if you go in hoping to hear super flashy technical DM-jazz fusion like Cynic or Atheist then you are going to be disappointed. Even more so if you listen to it from a 2009 perspective, because a lot of the time it is pretty clunky and many of the fusion elements seem a bit half-baked.

But, if you go into it expecting to hear a more straightforward 90s DM album, which just has the peripheral addition of some weird synth noises and experimentations with fusion, then it delivers. In that sense, I'd take it over something like Elements any day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:22 am 
Steaming Pile of Shit

great album , good that someone finally recognized it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:27 am 
The Commish

good, but is it a classic?

I don't think so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:28 pm 
Einherjar

Havent heard this one. If its as heavy and awesome as Malleus Malificarum, then it should be great. Can't speak as to its classic status. I know as far as Pestilence is concerned Malleus is the album that always gets mentioned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:29 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Holy_Terror wrote:
Havent heard this one. If its as heavy and awesome as Malleus Malificarum, then it should be great. Can't speak as to its classic status. I know as far as Pestilence is concerned Malleus is the album that always gets mentioned.

It's very different. I do intend to look back at the rest of Pestilence's discog, as I hinted in the review; they get ignored a lot, and unfairly so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:31 am 
Metal Lord

Holy_Terror wrote:

Wow Malleus Malificarum is that good? That is the only Pestilence album I haven't heard but I can say Consuming Impulse is easily one of the best dm albums I have ever heard. I would rank it up there with Death - Symbolic, Immolation - Unholy Cult, Cryptopsy - None so Vile, etc etc. I'm actually really excited to check that album out now :dio:

As far as Spheres goes, I would say its damn good but I'm not sure it should be considered a classic. When I think of Pestilence I think of old school death metal perfection and this album was an extreme departure from that style. I can't deny that I listen to this alot less than I do CI and the question becomes how much influence does this album actually hold?