Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:08 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:07 pm 
Ist Krieg

traptunderice wrote:
Talked about this with a friend who bought it on vinyl recently so I gave it a few plays and I don't really like it that much. Chuck and Christy seem to not be on the same page at all. The flow of the album relies on Christy's drumming so much. I feel like without the drumming it would really just be Chuck wanking on the guitar for an hour. Now, the fact that I felt like this through most of the album made To Forgive is to Suffer so much more awesome because Chuck rips in that album.

Some riffs in Spiritcrusher kinda irritated me because they were pretty close to the Control Denied riffs and I just ended up wanting to hear Expect the Unexpected and not Spiritcrusher.

It's still like a solid 80/100 it just lacks what the other Death albums had and it definitely shows that Chuck was mellowing out.

I somewhat agree with this.
It's the least of Death's catalogue, but still good.
I don't think Schuldiner was even capable of writing bad material.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:25 pm 
The Commish

The first 3 are best, topped off by Spiritual Healing. One of my all time favourite albums.

But they all kick ass in their own way.

Except Symbolic. I own that, but have never really given it a fair listen. Everytime I try, I just get bored and want to put on other Death. I know I like what I hear, it's just, I want to hear other Death that I know better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:58 am 
Sailor Man

Sacrilege

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:03 am 
Metal King

DevotedWalnut wrote:
The first 3 are best, topped off by Spiritual Healing. One of my all time favourite albums.

Except Symbolic. I own that, but have never really given it a fair listen. Everytime I try, I just get bored and want to put on other Death. I know I like what I hear, it's just, I want to hear other Death that I know better.

Seriously? At least give Crystal Mountain a good listen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:02 am 
Ist Krieg

SoulSociety wrote:
DevotedWalnut wrote:

Seriously? At least give Crystal Mountain a good listen.

And the title track, and 'Empty Words'. I wouldn't say the album as a whole has aged that well, but it certainly has its moments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:05 pm 
Banned Mallcore Kiddie

I wholeheartedly disagree with this album deserving a classic status. Though I can understand why the forum feels it necessary as bestowing it with such. It just lacks the bite of "Scream bloody gore", and I have a hard time believing that the same man that wrote" drink from the goblet of gore" writes about his pipe dreams and pseudo-intellectual nonsense on this album and Symbolic. I respect Death's influence in the scene progressive and death metal. I just won't ever consider anything after "Leprosy" worth owning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:02 pm 
Ist Krieg

Sure is no Moonspell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:04 pm 
Ist Krieg

stevelovesmoonspell wrote:
I just won't ever consider anything after "Leprosy" worth owning.
You're on crack. Spiritual Healing, Human, ITP are all classics. If you can't handle those, let alone enjoy them, you're just ridiculous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:45 pm 
Banned Mallcore Kiddie

noodles wrote:
Sure is no Moonspell

I know man hahaha.
Not that that offends me in any way, I just can't get past the thrashing madness of "Scream bloody gore" to the saccharine weak melodies of their latter works. I understand they are two completely styles of the band, it just doesn't cut it for me. Glad you all enjoy it though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:47 pm 
Banned Mallcore Kiddie

traptunderice wrote:
You're on crack. Spiritual Healing, Human, ITP are all classics. If you can't handle those, let alone enjoy them, you're just ridiculous.

I honestly have only heard bits and pieces of "Spiritual Healing man. You have me on that one but I've been listening to Symbolic, Individual thought patterns, and The sound of perseverance for years. Not that I am an absolute authority quite the contrary, it's just I don't hold them in the same regard as "Scream bloody gore". You can argue for the technical superiority all you want, I give them their standing in the scene.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:02 pm 
Ist Krieg

noodles wrote:
Sure is no Moonspell

I know man hahaha.
Not that that offends me in any way, I just can't get past the thrashing madness of "Scream bloody gore" to the saccharine weak melodies of their latter works. I understand they are two completely styles of the band, it just doesn't cut it for me. Glad you all enjoy it though.

"saccharine weak melodies"??? What?

Have you heard Trapped In A Corner? That's one of the most unique Death Metal songs ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:13 pm 
Ist Krieg

traptunderice wrote:

I honestly have only heard bits and pieces of "Spiritual Healing man. You have me on that one but I've been listening to Symbolic, Individual thought patterns, and The sound of perseverance for years. Not that I am an absolute authority quite the contrary, it's just I don't hold them in the same regard as "Scream bloody gore". You can argue for the technical superiority all you want, I give them their standing in the scene.

Give Spiritual Healing a good listen; it's pretty much in the same vein as Leprosy, with James Murphy tearing it up as an extra added bonus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:59 pm 
Ist Krieg

traptunderice wrote:

I'll agree with all that to some degree minus the ITP criticism. That album is sick and a worthy progression from SBG. And Spiritual Healing is pretty awesome so hop on that.

As for symbolic and perseverance, they have their moments which are brilliant but I'd agree for the most part that their a little too progressive without enough brutality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:59 pm 
Banned Mallcore Kiddie

cry of the banshee wrote:
traptunderice wrote:

I'll check it out I had it on my laptop sometime before, though I only recall listening to "Vacant planets". That was the album with the sick coverart I remember, I'll get to it after reviewing "Horror show" in a minute.

Give Spiritual Healing a good listen; it's pretty much in the same vein as Leprosy, with James Murphy tearing it up as an extra added bonus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:17 pm 
Ist Krieg

cry of the banshee wrote:
traptunderice wrote:

I'll check it out I had it on my laptop sometime before, though I only recall listening to "Vacant planets". That was the album with the sick coverart I remember, I'll get to it after reviewing "Horror show" in a minute.

Vacant Planets is on Human.
Human is where it started to get progressive, so if you don't care for Death's more progressive material, you may not care for it, though it is still pretty heavy. Together As One, Secret Face, See Through Dreams... fuck yeah.
As for Spiritual Healing, I think you'll dig it; like I said it's pretty much along the same lines as Leprosy
I gotta agree with Trapt about ITP, though. That album is one of a kind. There's a wierd, sci-fi like vibe to it that makes it stand out.
But I love all of Death's albums, so, yeah.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:33 am 
Karma Whore

I honestly have only heard bits and pieces of "Spiritual Healing man.

The you need to shut up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:39 am 
Banned Mallcore Kiddie

The_Voice wrote:

The you need to shut up.

oh ok just because you said so.
:wub:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:17 am 
The Commish

The_Voice wrote:

The you need to shut up.

el voico lives :dio:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:56 am 
Banned Mallcore Kiddie

DevotedWalnut wrote:
The_Voice wrote:

The you need to shut up.

oh I feel betrayed, your supposed to be on my side.
:sad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:16 am 
The Commish

DevotedWalnut wrote:
The_Voice wrote:

The you need to shut up.

oh I feel betrayed, your supposed to be on my side.
:sad:

I'm on everybodies side.

Except Frigid.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next