Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion
Thrash Metal, Doom
Quoted: CLASSIC

Click here to see the review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:31 pm 
Ist Krieg

Again, well done!

Epic sword and sorcery metal... music to conquer, pillage and enslave women and children by.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:28 pm 
The Commish

Definitely a classic.

This is awesome and by coincidence, I listened to it last night.

All kinds of awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:55 pm 
Einherjar

I'd give it a 40 but then, I never could get into CF...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:56 pm 
Karma Whore

Good review Zad a well deserved CLASSIC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:46 am 
Einherjar

Classic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:11 pm 
Karma Whore

I love this album. It just sounds so raunchy and filthy, like you're on a slide made of corpses on the way to hell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:24 pm 
Metal Fighter

Purchased this album recently, as the review peaked my interested. I'm not usually into the more extreme side of metal, but being that this album came out in the early 80s, I figured that there would be enough of an classic 80s metal root sound for me (I enjoy the classic stuff). This seems mostly true, vocals are a bit harsh for my tastes, but the lyrics at least discernible.

I'm having a hard time getting into it. I guess I need to give it a few more spins. I'm liking the buzz saw riffs on The Usurper, however, so that's a good sign.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:15 am 
MetalReviews Staff

Kuruus wrote:
Purchased this album recently, as the review peaked my interested. I'm not usually into the more extreme side of metal, but being that this album came out in the early 80s, I figured that there would be enough of an classic 80s metal root sound for me (I enjoy the classic stuff). This seems mostly true, vocals are a bit harsh for my tastes, but the lyrics at least discernible.

I'm having a hard time getting into it. I guess I need to give it a few more spins. I'm liking the buzz saw riffs on The Usurper, however, so that's a good sign.

Mate, stick with it, it took a long time to grow on me. It's definitely not the sort of album you play once and fall in love with, but something you stick on experimentally whilst drunk and suddenly all the riffs and everything make sense. The first few times it all sounds the same... you might not dig it until you go away and listen to other Celtic Frost albums, as happened to me. But seriously, have patience, take your time, I wouldn't call an album a classic unless I seriously though it deserved it, and To Mega Therion definitely does.

Incidentally, I'm flattered you got it as a result of my review. People like you are the true Metal fans, not downloaders who half-listen to something then dismiss it as crap. Serious kudos and thanks for your open-mindedness and willingness to experiment with your tastes. :dio:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:31 pm 
Ist Krieg

Strange, for me I pretty much know right away whether not something is for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:49 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

cry of the banshee wrote:

Heh, you have age and experience on your side. Us young 'uns don't know our own musical tastes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:56 pm 
Ist Krieg

Goat wrote:
cry of the banshee wrote:

Heh, you have age and experience on your side. Us young 'uns don't know our own musical tastes.

:D
No, it's always been like that for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:12 am 
Metal Fighter

Goat wrote:
Kuruus wrote:

Mate, stick with it, it took a long time to grow on me. It's definitely not the sort of album you play once and fall in love with, but something you stick on experimentally whilst drunk and suddenly all the riffs and everything make sense. The first few times it all sounds the same... you might not dig it until you go away and listen to other Celtic Frost albums, as happened to me. But seriously, have patience, take your time, I wouldn't call an album a classic unless I seriously though it deserved it, and To Mega Therion definitely does.

Incidentally, I'm flattered you got it as a result of my review. People like you are the true Metal fans, not downloaders who half-listen to something then dismiss it as crap. Serious kudos and thanks for your open-mindedness and willingness to experiment with your tastes. :dio:

No problem, Zad. You and your team do a great job. Most of my purchases are due to this site. Taking a few risks have opened me up to some great music in the past.

I'll definitely give Mega Therion more time. Unfortunately for me, I'm kind of bored of most of the metal, past and present, that I'm hearing. The thing that sucks is that I haven't found a new sound in metal or in any other genre for that matter that is worth migrating to. i still listen to my favs, but i bothers me that music itself hasn't appealed to me the way it did say 5 years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:32 am 
MetalReviews Staff

Kuruus wrote:

No problem, Zad. You and your team do a great job. Most of my purchases are due to this site. Taking a few risks have opened me up to some great music in the past.

I'll definitely give Mega Therion more time. Unfortunately for me, I'm kind of bored of most of the metal, past and present, that I'm hearing. The thing that sucks is that I haven't found a new sound in metal or in any other genre for that matter that is worth migrating to. i still listen to my favs, but i bothers me that music itself hasn't appealed to me the way it did say 5 years ago.

I think everyone has moments like that, where they get bored with Metal and go and listen to something else for a while. Mix up your playlist, you'll come back to it. Get into Sonic Youth or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:45 am 
Banned Mallcore Kiddie

i saw into thy pandemonium for sale at MD 2 today, i havent heard it and there cds are expensive so i didnt buy it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:22 am 
Einherjar

Fantastique album, this. Too bad about Monotheist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:27 pm 
Metal King

although i really like Morbid Tales, i somehow find To Megatherion quite boring...and too long. i have to admit the Giger painting on the cover is great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:43 am 
Metal Servant

I'm highly shocked that anybody would describe the vocals as harsh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:53 am 
Metal Servant

I'm highly shocked that even as recent as 2009 people hated Monotheist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:00 am 
Metal Servant

I haven't heard that one, old Celtic Frost is quite good though. Also the cover for this album is pretty great.