Quote:
Sun Caged - Sun Caged
Progressive Metal
Quoted: 94 / 100

Click here to see the review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:47 pm 
Metal King

I wouldn't give this such a high score but it is a good album nonetheless. There are some really good songs here like Closing In and Hollow. Sun Caged play the kind of atmospheric prog metal that slowly builds up without much excitement going on, which I don't find exactly to my taste. I don't hear much of Threshold in this but i'm not entirely familiar with their back catalog so I can't comment. I agree about Andre Vuurboom though, this guy have an amazing voice and doesn't whine as much as LaBrie. Too bad he doesn't sing on the new album, it would have made a big difference. Anyway i give this 75...good for a first attempt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:30 pm 
Metal King

I want both their CDs, but I can only find them for around $15.99 each. From what I've heard, they sound killer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:33 pm 
Metal Lord

I would rate this 80/100 overall I remember hearing some of their early demo songs one was called Killer Banshee from memory sounded awesome shame it didn't get on the album. Can't really comment on their latest only heard some of it I think they had lineup changes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:46 pm 
Metal King

scud wrote:
Can't really comment on their latest only heard some of it I think they had lineup changes.

Yeah only Marcel Coenen is the remaining founding member. Everyone else left in between the two albums. Shame really, there was good chemistry between them on the debut. Maybe that is why I didn't like Artemisia much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:21 pm 
Metal Slave

I like it very much, but the lack of originality pushed this debut down from my personal masterpiece value meter.About the vocalist: i must say that he doesn't hold a candle against James LaBrie.
Recommended anyway, don't get me wrong! :dio:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:59 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

just to clear a few things up...
i gave this such a high rating because i could find no fault with it, i think it's as original as it can be, these days it's almost impossible not to sound like another band or have subtle influences with the amount of bands there are. i wasn't comparing Vuurboom to Labrie, more that he has the same style as him, same thing with Threshold, it's more the way the songs are written and the heavier prog style that reminds me of Threshold. i've only heard 1 track from the new album but i wasn't overly impressed, i will check it out properly though.