Quote:
Shadows Fall - Threads of Life
Thrashing Hardcore Power Metal
Quoted: 75 / 100

Click here to see the review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:52 pm 
Karma Whore

This review is very disjointed and not well written- no citing of examples in songs for anything, and I don't really get your thoughts out of it besides that you like the production and that you think the songwriting is less inspired, which could mean any number of things. I also think that there are a number of changes in the band's style aside from Fair singing more which you ignore.

In any case, rather than retype my thoughts on the album, I'll copy and paste what I wrote a few months back.

Quote:
Well, the new Shadows Fall album is here, and I've listened to it a few times now. Shadows Fall has always been one of my favourite bands, and also the band that really got into metal, I've seen them live four times, met them each time (they're incredibly cool guys) and I always like to support them by buying their new stuff. Well, they're trying new things on this album for sure, and some of it works, and some of it doesn't. Ken said in the purchases thread that there's a Crusade vibe to this; I haven't heard the Crusade, so I can't comment, but perhaps others agree?

In any case, here are the main changes in their sound, as I see them:

Greater number of thrash riffs: There is definitely a larger thrash element on parts of this album then on any other SF album, though the Art of Balance got pretty thrashy at times too. They're quite succesful at it: They've got the art of writing thrash riffs down for sure. Good job.

Big Choruses: There is a greater tendency on this album to rely on big choruses, with clean vocals and more laid back guitar leads. This is matched by an increase in singer Brian Fair's clean vocals. All in all, this fails. Some choruses (most notably Redemption's) succeed because the guitar line and vocal line are well written; however, I think the idea fundamentally doesn't work with Fair's voice and Matt/John's playing style, and most choruses come out a mess. It really is too bad, because a song like Failure of the Devout, which is completely thrashy and awesome in about every other way (excepting one, which I'll come to later) doesn't fit at all with its chorus.

Power/speed element: Interestingly, there are some power metal-esque/speed elements on this album; check out that riff after the first chorus on Redemption, or the intro riff to Storm Winds. Its well written stuff, and works very well within the songs; good job on this one.

Experimentation with vocals/new styles?: Don't really know how to refer to this other than that, but Shadows Fall does some really fucking stupid shit on here. Example: Failures of the Devout, a great thrash number, has this part at about 4:20 where the guitars and bass go out, and all we have is drums and distorted vocals. It sounds horrible, and completely ruins the flow of the song. There are other little moments of vocal experimentation, as on Venomous, which fall completely flat. Then we get to the ballad, Another Hero Lost, which is by far the worst song Shadows Fall has ever released. Its horrible; Fair tries to be emotional and out comes this giant emo mess; "forever, is waiting, the final steps you're taking"- aren't those vocal lines in just about every Simple Plan song? The song does get slightly power metal at the end, which is good, but it can't save the song.

Other than that, you get your typical Shadows Fall. Well done melodies at several points, and the metalcore which they somehow manage to pull off. John Donais is of course an amazing guitarist, and his solos are as good as ever. However, there is another problem with this album: For whatever reason, its simply not very memorable. Redemption, Forevermore, Failure of the Devout and Final Call stay with me... everything else, not so much. Even out of those songs, there is no song that really rocks me out; no Fire in Babylon or Those Who Cannot Speak or Of One Blood or Root Bound Apollo.

I'd say this is the weakest Shadows Fall album- final score of 60/100.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:17 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Brahm_K wrote:
This review is very disjointed and not well written- no citing of examples in songs for anything, and I don't really get your thoughts out of it besides that you like the production and that you think the songwriting is less inspired, which could mean any number of things. I also think that there are a number of changes in the band's style aside from Fair singing more which you ignore.

In any case, rather than retype my thoughts on the album, I'll copy and paste what I wrote a few months back.

Quote:
Well, the new Shadows Fall album is here, and I've listened to it a few times now. Shadows Fall has always been one of my favourite bands, and also the band that really got into metal, I've seen them live four times, met them each time (they're incredibly cool guys) and I always like to support them by buying their new stuff. Well, they're trying new things on this album for sure, and some of it works, and some of it doesn't. Ken said in the purchases thread that there's a Crusade vibe to this; I haven't heard the Crusade, so I can't comment, but perhaps others agree?

Greater number of thrash riffs: There is definitely a larger thrash element on parts of this album then on any other SF album, though the Art of Balance got pretty thrashy at times too. They're quite succesful at it: They've got the art of writing thrash riffs down for sure. Good job.

Big Choruses: There is a greater tendency on this album to rely on big choruses, with clean vocals and more laid back guitar leads. This is matched by an increase in singer Brian Fair's clean vocals. All in all, this fails. Some choruses (most notably Redemption's) succeed because the guitar line and vocal line are well written; however, I think the idea fundamentally doesn't work with Fair's voice and Matt/John's playing style, and most choruses come out a mess. It really is too bad, because a song like Failure of the Devout, which is completely thrashy and awesome in about every other way (excepting one, which I'll come to later) doesn't fit at all with its chorus.

Power/speed element: Interestingly, there are some power metal-esque/speed elements on this album; check out that riff after the first chorus on Redemption, or the intro riff to Storm Winds. Its well written stuff, and works very well within the songs; good job on this one.

Experimentation with vocals/new styles?: Don't really know how to refer to this other than that, but Shadows Fall does some really fucking stupid shit on here. Example: Failures of the Devout, a great thrash number, has this part at about 4:20 where the guitars and bass go out, and all we have is drums and distorted vocals. It sounds horrible, and completely ruins the flow of the song. There are other little moments of vocal experimentation, as on Venomous, which fall completely flat. Then we get to the ballad, Another Hero Lost, which is by far the worst song Shadows Fall has ever released. Its horrible; Fair tries to be emotional and out comes this giant emo mess; "forever, is waiting, the final steps you're taking"- aren't those vocal lines in just about every Simple Plan song? The song does get slightly power metal at the end, which is good, but it can't save the song.

Other than that, you get your typical Shadows Fall. Well done melodies at several points, and the metalcore which they somehow manage to pull off. John Donais is of course an amazing guitarist, and his solos are as good as ever. However, there is another problem with this album: For whatever reason, its simply not very memorable. Redemption, Forevermore, Failure of the Devout and Final Call stay with me... everything else, not so much. Even out of those songs, there is no song that really rocks me out; no Fire in Babylon or Those Who Cannot Speak or Of One Blood or Root Bound Apollo.

With all due respect Brahm_K, I appreciate your honesty with regards to how you feel about the review. In fact, I really like yours! :) I think it's great. But one thing that is different between me and the other reviewers is my reviewing style. I don't always write with the same style. In fact, we are all different on some levels. On some reviews I might get very descriptive with regards to the songs and the characteristics of them. On other reviews I might be more direct about a few things. Some reviews might be shorter, others longer. Some readers like a very descriptive review while others just want to get enough of an idea out of what it's like without having to read a book. It all depends on what I can get out of the album. I don't have a certain format that I use everytime when I write a review. Over all, it's an opinion and hopefully there is just one thing that grabs a readers attention leaving them to want more or not even bother with the album being reviewed. Sorry, that's just my style. :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:16 pm 
Metal Servant

Great Album IMO 90/100. Second only to TWW. Really along with the new Machine Men and Megadeth albums this is one of my fav this year. Although judging from what I have heard of the new Symphony X that will end up being my album of the year.

Not sure why so many metal heads dis this band? I find their metal core leanings to be very slight. They really remind me of some great older Metallica stuff. The guitar solos are absolutly ripping and tasteful.

I like the vocals a lot. Aggressive singing! Yes you can convey aggression and anger with out screaming and growling. IE, what did Hetfield do in all those glory days? Russell Allen, Matt Heafy, Warrel Dane are other excellent examples. Plus dropping those type vocals only makes them more metal (less core) and less of sell outs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:41 pm 
Karma Whore

Jeff@Metalreviews wrote:
Brahm_K wrote:

Quote:

With all due respect Brahm_K, I appreciate your honesty with regards to how you feel about the review. In fact, I really like yours! :) I think it's great. But one thing that is different between me and the other reviewers is my reviewing style. I don't always write with the same style. In fact, we are all different on some levels. On some reviews I might get very descriptive with regards to the songs and the characteristics of them. On other reviews I might be more direct about a few things. Some reviews might be shorter, others longer. Some readers like a very descriptive review while others just want to get enough of an idea out of what it's like without having to read a book. It all depends on what I can get out of the album. I don't have a certain format that I use everytime when I write a review. Over all, it's an opinion and hopefully there is just one thing that grabs a readers attention leaving them to want more or not even bother with the album being reviewed. Sorry, that's just my style. :cool:

Fair enough. It seemed to me that you had put no time into the review or the album and just hobbled something out, but now I see that this is not so. Sorry for the misunderstanding, and cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:10 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Brahm_K wrote:
Jeff@Metalreviews wrote:
Brahm_K wrote:

Quote:

Fair enough. It seemed to me that you had put no time into the review or the album and just hobbled something out, but now I see that this is not so. Sorry for the misunderstanding, and cheers.

It may seem "hobbled" because what I wrote were the first observations that came to mind and there really wasn't much more that creatively inspired me to get into more detail. In that case you can consider it my first draft or "hobbled". Some of my other reviews get revised a few times before I'm satisfied with it for posting. I'd say that it is not one of my better ones. I did listen to the album a good four to five times in any event. :dio: