Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:42 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:13 pm 
Karma Whore

Quote:
Don't even bother. Your first statement says that you'll dislike it just for the sake of disliking it. You have no interest in the album, so don't waste your time.

Good to see I've said something of interest to you for once :)
In all honesty, I didn't think any album could be as good as you guys made it out to be, let alone a Machine Head album. I gave it a spin, and wasn't too impressed, nor did it make me throw things at the PC. I thought it was an above average record, and the best effort so far from a band who I've never reeally liked, but now have an grudging respect for

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:34 pm 
Karma Whore

Ya, so I about really dislike every other Machine Head album; is there any chance I might enjoy this one? You know my tastes; 80s thrash, power metal, NWOBHM, etc..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:34 pm 
Ist Krieg

I thought it was so barely above mediocre that the amount of praise it's gotten is quite silly.

Quote:
Ya, so I about really dislike every other Machine Head album; is there any chance I might enjoy this one? You know my tastes; 80s thrash, power metal, NWOBHM, etc..

It sounds kind of like that Metal by Numbers (http://youtube.com/watch?v=chiVMrWMHko) song, but with 10 minute long songs. I haven't heard any other Machine Head so I can't really comment on it vs their past stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:43 pm 
noodles wrote:
I thought it was so barely above mediocre that the amount of praise it's gotten is quite silly.

Quote:

It sounds kind of like that Metal by Numbers (http://youtube.com/watch?v=chiVMrWMHko) song, but with 10 minute long songs. I haven't heard any other Machine Head so I can't really comment on it vs their past stuff.

Stop posting. I hope no one takes anything you say seriously...ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:50 pm 
Ist Krieg

Yeah I didn't think that post would be very popular :unsure:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:22 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

noodles wrote:

Dude, it's really starting to look like you take the opposing view just for the sake of doing it. I haven't heard this album yet, so I can't agree or disagree with your opinion. All I know is, you can set your watch to the following chain of events:

1. An album is released that receives numerous comments of praise from a wide variety of posters here (i.e. the new Amon Amarth, this album).

2. noodles will make a post in the same thread about how the album is vastly overrated and take a veiled shot at those who like it (i.e. "it sounds like metal by numbers", "this has been done before", or "this album is boring").

Seriously, have you EVER liked an album that was widely loved by the metal community? Just curious. If you really don't like it, that's fine, but I can't help but think that you just make these posts to get a rise out of people for your own enjoyment. If that's true, grow the hell up...please. If not, carry on I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:47 pm 
Ist Krieg

Shut the fuck up noodles!

Yeah this got a whole bunch of praise but I'm still skeptical. They've sucked for a long time. But I'll give it a try nonetheless. There was a time I liked them a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:50 pm 
Ist Krieg

I don't actively try to do it... I dunno. I can definitely see why someone would love this album, it was well written enough that the 10 minute songs were far from boring, and nothing about it was actually done badly. on the other hand, it also sounded like a collage of the things the guy parodied on Metal By Numbers (then again Protest the Hero have that too on Kezia and I think it kicks ass, so I'm just silly).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:01 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Hmm, I might give it a try but I usually agree with Noodles and disagree with Ken, so I'm sceptical too. When I think of Machinehead I think of utterly boring garbage, and the length of songs doesn't really influence that. I'll try it, but I don't give it much of a chance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:59 pm 
noodles wrote:
I don't actively try to do it... I dunno. I can definitely see why someone would love this album, it was well written enough that the 10 minute songs were far from boring, and nothing about it was actually done badly. on the other hand, it also sounded like a collage of the things the guy parodied on Metal By Numbers (then again Protest the Hero have that too on Kezia and I think it kicks ass, so I'm just silly).

Your problem, noodles, is that you always seem to be talking out of your ass. I disagree with Misha all the time, he disagrees with me all the time, but the difference between us and you is that we never seem unsure of our opinion. You ALWAYS seem unsure; therefore you seem like you're simply stirring the pot, trying to be that bump in the road to derail the discussion. Myself, and I'm sure others, would have far more respect for your opinion if we somehow felt that you actually knew what you were talking about, even if we didn't agree.

No, this isn't metal-by-numbers. It's not even close to what that song suggests! This is not cookie-cutter in the least. Yes, some songs are long, but they're VERY dynamic. This isn't some verse-chorus-verse bullshit. Nor does this album follow the screamo verse/cleanly-sung chorus template that that metal-by-numbers parody suggests! And this is the reason you annoy people, noodles. Your opinion has to be based in fact. You can't just say the sky is green and expect people to go, "Well, you're entitled to your opinion."

The bottom line is this: If you're not a fan of Machine Head, don't bother with this album; it's not going to change your mind. The Burning Red and Supercharger was Machine Head bowing to label pressure to go mainstream. Robb Flynn admitted this. And because that almost tore the band apart, he made the conscious choice to go back to doing what Machine Head should have been doing all along. Through The Ashes of Empires was a return to form; it was an album that could have been released back before The Burning Red, and The Blackening is no different. If you didn't like Burn My Eyes or The More Things Change, you're not going to like this new album. Plain and simple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:06 am 
Ist Krieg

The songs aren't cookie cutter, I mean they're 10 minutes long. But everything else is. That's why I said it was above mediocre :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:27 pm 
Metal Lord

Great cd and great value with their version of Battery and dvd extras.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:01 pm 
Jeg lever med min foreldre

Adam wrote:
noodles wrote:

Dude, it's really starting to look like you take the opposing view just for the sake of doing it. I haven't heard this album yet, so I can't agree or disagree with your opinion. All I know is, you can set your watch to the following chain of events:

1. An album is released that receives numerous comments of praise from a wide variety of posters here (i.e. the new Amon Amarth, this album).

2. noodles will make a post in the same thread about how the album is vastly overrated and take a veiled shot at those who like it (i.e. "it sounds like metal by numbers", "this has been done before", or "this album is boring").

Seriously, have you EVER liked an album that was widely loved by the metal community? Just curious. If you really don't like it, that's fine, but I can't help but think that you just make these posts to get a rise out of people for your own enjoyment. If that's true, grow the hell up...please. If not, carry on I guess.

He likes tool. And whats wrong with liking music that no one else likes? Noodles just has a lot of black in his sheep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:19 pm 
Karma Whore

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only voice of dissent. Ken seems to have reacted like someone pooped in his pint to anyone who dislikes this album .I don't think this is the masterpiece people claim it to be, but it's a reasonably charming mainstream(ish) metal record. I think this could convert a few Head-haters, me included. It's definately worth a purchase if you see it going cheap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:41 pm 
Mintrude wrote:
Ken seems to have reacted like someone pooped in his pint to anyone who dislikes this album.

Point out where I've done that? My reaction to noodles is about how he constantly talks out of his ass, not because he may or may not like this album (though I doubt he listened to the complete album anyway).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:22 pm 
Karma Whore

You've completely dismissed anyone's who disliked the album's comments .I'm not going to get into a long, pointless, circular discussion with you about this, so consider this the last post from me on the matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:24 pm 
Mintrude wrote:
You've completely dismissed anyone's who disliked the album's comments .I'm not going to get into a long, pointless, circular discussion with you about this, so consider this the last post from me on the matter.

That's absolute fucking bullshit and you know it. If you're going to make some ridiculous statement, back it up! Oh, right, you can't, because I never did that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:54 pm 
Karma Whore

I feel you've dismissed Noodles' and my comments. I refuse to get into a flamewar with you, so chill out man, we're all brothers and sisters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:01 pm 
Mintrude wrote:
I feel you've dismissed Noodles' and my comments. I refuse to get into a flamewar with you, so chill out man, we're all brothers and sisters.

How did I dismiss your comments? I replied to you ONE time, and I basically said don't bother listening to it. It had nothing to do with "completely dismissing anyone who disliked the album's comments." As for noodles, I explained myself quite enough in this thread as to why I react the way I do to him. If you fail to read that, don't come at me telling me I'm doing it for some other reason. Noodles can dislike the album all he wants, but if he's going to criticize it, I'd expect him to be basing his opinion on facts. He never does.

And if you refuse to get into a flamewar, don't throw stones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:04 pm 
Karma Whore

OK. You've said your piece and I've said mine. Let's just agree to disagree :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next