PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:54 am 
MetalReviews Staff

You're welcome to comment on:
Quote:
Metallica - 72 Seasons
Thrash Metal
Quoted: 35 / 100

Click here to see the review.

Post subject: Re: Metallica - 72 Seasons (#10808)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:20 am 
Ist Krieg

Yep, I made it through about half the album before giving up. Lux Aeterna being the only highlight. You wrote it: 'The monkey's paw has granted your wish, and Metallica make metal again - except this is metal that you don't want to listen to, because they've apparently forgotten how to write memorable riffs or craft songs.' haha

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:30 am 
Einherjar

This new record definitely feels like Hardwired on cruise control but nowhere near a paltry 35/100 to my ears. Much like it's predecessor, Seasons does suffer from unnecessary bloat dulling the edge on many tracks which would otherwise be excellent. This coupled with a sometime lack of dynamics make for quite the slog through tracks like Sleepwalk My Life Away, Crown of Barbed Wire and especially Inamorata. However, there is still plenty of silver beneath the clay. The band's groovy, NWOBHM tinged riffs hit more often than not on standouts like Lux, Chasing Light and the title track, the production is sharp and clear but just raw enough not to sound clinical and Hetfield's vocals are among the best in his career. As you've pointed out, this record has its flaws to be sure, but I can comfortably grade it at a solid 65/100. It's not the progression we hoped for from the last record, but it's a more than competent release from a band many, including myself, had completely written off in the early to mid 2000s. They may not be capable of cranking out classics like Trapped Under Ice or Disposable Heroes anymore, but If Darkness Had a Son and Shadows Follow are a damn sight better than creative basement dwellers like Frantic or I Disappear.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:21 pm 
Metal King

Well, what do you say to a band that has been in existence for such a long time and has had such an ill-repute? It's like an old friend which you meet after a prolonged period of time which has done wrong to you. You appreciate the fact they are still alive and well but no you may no longer be a friend of mine. Not any more.