PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:35 am 
MetalReviews Staff

You're welcome to comment on:
Quote:
Twilight Force - Dawn Of The Dragonstar
Embarrassing
Quoted: 3 / 100

Click here to see the review.

Post subject: Re: Twilight Force - Dawn Of The Dragonstar (#10480)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:46 pm 
Einherjar

Oooh, this sounds fantastic. Truly terrible power metal is a thing to be savored. Epic cheese is always the best kind. Will definitely check it out.

And take it is easy on my man Hootie!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:35 pm 
Einherjar

I listened to this band last night and they're nowhere near as bad as the review claims. A slightly sugary version of Rhapsody sprinkled with a fair bit of Dragonland. Power metal has always been a bit silly and these guys embrace it to the fullest extent. The band's synchronized sword drawing from their live gigs is hilarious and so perfectly power metal. Would I ever elevate them to Blind Guardian or Helloween status? No. Are they the perfect soundtrack to a DnD nerd night or to a live action Black Cauldron remake? Oh yes! Why isn't Disney giving them money now?!

Onto the record. This is the happiest metal album that I've listened to in quite some time. I couldn't keep from smiling the whole way through. Musically, it's more than competent and well-constructed. The choruses are memorable and layered to perfection, the RPG inspired orchestral sections effectively set the mood and the Turilli-esque guitar work is adequately sweeping and well-executed. Their previous singer was certainly better than the faux Fabio that they picked up from Turilli's old band, but is still a solid replacement. Ultimately, if you hate this type of saccharine, overly joyous power metal then you will LOATH this band. But if you can enjoy it for what it is, then roll that D20 die and give it a chance.

Last edited by Thrash til' Deth on Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:55 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Wow. I can't believe I remembered the old password. Last visit was March 26, 2009.

Hey, I can dig the first three Freedom Call's and even give Power Quest a pass for being overly happy. If this was released on some small shitty label that no one gave a crap about and faded away into obscurity, that's ok!

But to have a label like Nuclear Blast behind this, who is supposed to be one of the "bigs" of the metal world, one who like it or not, has influence still in the metal scene just screams fake. The simple fact no one mentioned their name is phonetically almost identical to Dragon Force is beyond insane. BRB. lemme start a band called "Metallic Maiden." Songs like Lightning Rider, The Beast's Number, and Puppet Master are already written and in the can.

Because Twilight Turd has been legitimized by Nuclear Blast, they've even spawned their own horrible third rate clones. Pushing a band like this so hard, so early in their career when everything about them is so trite and generic and just awful is saying to everyone out there that this is ok. This is how you "make it". Dumb ass costumes and riding every cliche to exhaustion. I honestly get the feeling this band probably hates metal, and is laughing at everyone all the way to the main stage at Wacken. It would be like if I successfully made my "bro country" band that basically shits out Florida Georgia Line Luke Chestnut Mckinny Falls Brooks Man music to fund an extravagant cocaine lord circa 1980's lifestyle.

And this is me being a jerk, but dressing up in costumes is the trend that needs to die. Not everyone can be Turisas, Gwar, or even Ghost and make it work.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:07 am 
Einherjar

Honestly, I haven't heard anything new or interesting in power metal in quite some time. The genre abandoned its glorious speed metal roots in favor of lush orchestral arrangements and layered, sugary choruses many years ago. We're a long way from classics like Tales of the Twilight World, Thundersteel and the glory years of Dio. Even still, the genre has always been populated with costumed, sword-and-sorcery dorks. RPG metal (for lack of a better term) like TF was an inevitability. Everybody's got to have their Lord of the Rings track in order to get into the heavy metal Ren Fair, right? Even greats like Running Wild, who made some of the finest power metal ever, dressed like Treasure Island pirates!! The old guard have never been above this type of silly display. Ever read the story to the Emerald Sword saga by Rhapsody? About as ridiculous as it gets.

Nuclear Blast has never been above pushing silly costumed bands either. They've produced their fair share of drek over the years.

The guys in Twilight Force may be derivative, but they do it well and seem honest enough to me. No one is committing to the RPG adventure shtick unless they legitimately enjoy it. Unless you're Orlando Bloom, elf ears ain't getting you laid or paid. And I doubt these boys will be driving Ferraris anytime soon. By all accounts that I've read, they're also very friendly guys who are good to their fans, which goes a long way with me.

I think you care just a little too hard, my man. Let the nerds have their fun.

Last edited by Thrash til' Deth on Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:04 am 
MetalReviews Staff

I would disagree with you that elf ears don't get a person laid. Have you seen the cosplay world? Cosplay's prob bigger culturally than metal right now.

I admit that Running Wild did have a few years where they looked silly, but the music they played was still bad ass speed metal. Pretty much any other band calling themselves "pirate metal" these days is a bad musical comedy act.

Maybe I do care a bit much. But there seems to be a genuine air of in-authenticity that I get from bands like this. You don't play metal in order to be popular. And seeing a band like this desperately trying to be popular by hitting every checkbox on the list of acceptance is just, garrrrrr. Butthurtimus maximus.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:44 am 
Einherjar

Most of the cosplay business I've see is Instagram models dressing up like anime characters to make money off of lonely nerds. But what do I know? Maybe the Gen Z kids are into this kind of stuff.

I understand the gut reaction against the "wimps and poseurs", but I'm just too old to care that much anymore. Maybe the best the Twilight boys can do right now is be derivative but competent, and that's okay. Let them go be the house band for Disney's Power Metal Adventure Quest. They're not doing any harm. Other bands do this style much better, but 3/100 is still way too low for this release.