PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:16 am 
MetalReviews Staff

You're welcome to comment on:
Quote:
Poppy - I Disagree
Alt-Metal, Pop
Quoted: 70 / 100

Click here to see the review.

Post subject: Re: Poppy - I Disagree (#10269)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:23 pm 
Ist Krieg

I have now heard about half the album, and it was definitely better than I expected--your score seems reasonable. Poppy's voice is good, but as typical of pop today I get irritated by how treated it is. Concrete and I Disagree are both insanely catchy, I prefer the former because the chorus is the most deliciously sickly sweet thing I've heard in years, while the other singles didn't work nearly as well for me. Strongly agree with your central criticism of the lack of depth on the album (pop album first), and the real strength of Don't Go Outside as the longest and most developed track on the album is to break that mold. The guitar solo actually has a chance to exist before it quickly disappears like on other songs, and I love the medley of the choruses of Concrete and I Disagree towards the end of the song, I think they thought those singles were the strongest hooks on the album as well. Poppy is an interesting person, apparently her (and/or her handlers) developed a 'religion' through her popular Youtube channel and she is seemingly winking at Satanism charges. It makes a lot of sense that she is now working with Marilyn Manson on her next project. "Turn me into a street!!!"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:19 am 
Karma Whore

heard a song of hers on Youtube.
Utter cancer.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:52 pm 
Ist Krieg

Will you review her fiancé as well? The kids badgered me to give Ghostemane's new album a listen. I thought the 'metal' parts were weak and the rapping was even bad for rap but there was another element I really liked so it wasn't a total loss, especially towards the end.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:32 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

North From Here wrote:
Will you review her fiancé as well? The kids badgered me to give Ghostemane's new album a listen. I thought the 'metal' parts were weak and the rapping was even bad for rap but there was another element I really liked so it wasn't a total loss, especially towards the end.

Based on your review here, it sounds like one to avoid! I'll stick it on my playlist to give it a listen, anyway. Have heard and not hated his stuff before, but we'll see. Didn't know him and Ms P were an item.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:00 pm 
Ist Krieg

Well I liked the later part of the album quite a bit. Let me know what you think!

He namedrops Bathory and Gorgoroth in his interviews apparently, so he's heard good riffs before, gotta start sticking those on records though.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:07 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

North From Here wrote:
Well I liked the later part of the album quite a bit. Let me know what you think!

He namedrops Bathory and Gorgoroth in his interviews apparently, so he's heard good riffs before, gotta start sticking those on records though.

Yeah, not so much of a fan of that. Might try it again some time, but not very interesting.

Apparently Poppy has put a noise album out, at least she (and Ghostemane) seems interested in actually experimenting, whatever the results.