PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:52 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

You're welcome to comment on:
Quote:
Kamelot - Haven
Progressive Power Metal
Quoted: 93 / 100

Click here to see the review.

Post subject: Re: Kamelot - Haven (#9112)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:47 am 
Einherjar

Fourth Legacy will always have a special place in my metal heart but I haven't really listened to anything from the band since Black Halo. They just fell off my radar for whatever reason. For old time's sake, I'll give this record a good listen and see what this new guy brings to the table of Kamelot.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:38 am 
Metal Slave

I found Silverthorn a bit disappointing, claiming it sounded like a less intriguing Seventh Wonder almbum, something I still stand by. This one also sounds like a Seventh Wonder album but a friggin' awesome one(!). The melodies are catchy, the lyrics are plausible and the production is stellar. I still miss old Kamelot (Fourth Legacy, Karma, Epica) but I view them as an entirely different band nowadays. At least they still make decent stuff, unlike my old favourites Gamma Ray, Sonata Arctica and Edguy (and pretty much every former power metal giant). Yuck!

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 4:06 am 
Einherjar

[quote="Hansel"]I found Silverthorn a bit disappointing, claiming it sounded like a less intriguing Seventh Wonder almbum, something I still stand by. This one also sounds like a Seventh Wonder album but a friggin' awesome one(!). The melodies are catchy, the lyrics are plausible and the production is stellar. I still miss old Kamelot (Fourth Legacy, Karma, Epica) but I view them as an entirely different band nowadays. At least they still make decent stuff, unlike my old favourites Gamma Ray, Sonata Arctica and Edguy (and pretty much every former power metal giant). Yuck![/quote]

Never had the pleasure of hearing anything by Seventh Wonder, but if you say Haven sounds like anything by them, then I can easily deduct that Seventh Wonder sounds like Kamelot since this album has Kamelot's trademark sound all over the place. I understand people preferring their old albums but saying this sounds nothing like their old stuff is delusive and utterly false. It may not be up to par or as constant as the masterpieces that are Epica and Black Halo (which is an unfair comparison IMO, not many records from other artists can even live up to those two albums.), but it's never the less a fine piece of power/prog metal. Probably their best output since The Black Halo.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 4:21 pm 
Metal Slave

Seventh Wonder is Tommy Karevik's other band and in my opinon the melodies are highly resemblant of some old Seventh Wonder songs. The production however, is more similar the last Kamelot albums before Roy Khan left.

But overall I agree with your comment. They've found a nice blend in dynamic melodies and a dark sound, even though I'm not the biggest fan of dark sounding power metal. :)