Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:55 am



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: 'Abigor - Opus IV (#8060)'
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:07 am 
Offline
MetalReviews Staff
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:50 am
Posts: 5516
You're welcome to comment on:
Quote:
Image
Abigor - Opus IV
Black Metal
Quoted: 75 / 100


Click here to see the review.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:31 am 
Offline
Jeg lever med min foreldre

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:07 am
Posts: 5998
Location: USoA
Thanks for the review, Zad. This one is a bit odd in their discography progression, and I think you did a nice job of touching that in your review. Certainly a let down from all-time classic Nachthymen, but I like Opus IV, maybe remembering it a bit more fondly than you did; I'll have to recheck it. Definitely recall the disjointedness of the production, but that is what happens when a band sticks together two separate recordings I guess.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:42 am 
Offline
Jeg lever med min foreldre

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:07 am
Posts: 5998
Location: USoA
Listened to this one again, and honestly I like it even more than I remembered. This guys were, and I should say are, so uniquely talented in the black and post melodic black metal landscape, and while this isn't their best offering, I think it really only suffers from the disjointedness of two eps being stuck together as an album, and not being quite as good as their previous album. The musicianship of PK and TT stood out even back in the mid 90s, tracks like 2 and 3 features some extremely memorable melodies.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:02 am 
Offline
MetalReviews Staff
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:02 pm
Posts: 29014
Location: UK
North From Here wrote:
Listened to this one again, and honestly I like it even more than I remembered. This guys were, and I should say are, so uniquely talented in the black and post melodic black metal landscape, and while this isn't their best offering, I think it really only suffers from the disjointedness of two eps being stuck together as an album, and not being quite as good as their previous album. The musicianship of PK and TT stood out even back in the mid 90s, tracks like 2 and 3 features some extremely memorable melodies.


Yes, it's certainly not a bad album, but I didn't feel it deserved more than a 75 (a pretty good score) because although the good tracks were so good and the talent so obvious, the songwriting was mainly poor elsewhere. Would you have scored it a *lot* higher?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:13 pm 
Offline
Jeg lever med min foreldre

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:07 am
Posts: 5998
Location: USoA
Goat wrote:
North From Here wrote:
Listened to this one again, and honestly I like it even more than I remembered. This guys were, and I should say are, so uniquely talented in the black and post melodic black metal landscape, and while this isn't their best offering, I think it really only suffers from the disjointedness of two eps being stuck together as an album, and not being quite as good as their previous album. The musicianship of PK and TT stood out even back in the mid 90s, tracks like 2 and 3 features some extremely memorable melodies.


Yes, it's certainly not a bad album, but I didn't feel it deserved more than a 75 (a pretty good score) because although the good tracks were so good and the talent so obvious, the songwriting was mainly poor elsewhere. Would you have scored it a *lot* higher?


No. Somewhere in the 80 range seems fine. A few of the tracks wander. Not a believer in giving 90+ to everything that sounds good.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:11 pm 
Offline
MetalReviews Staff
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:02 pm
Posts: 29014
Location: UK
North From Here wrote:
No. Somewhere in the 80 range seems fine. A few of the tracks wander. Not a believer in giving 90+ to everything that sounds good.


Fair enough! I intend to carry on through their discog, so we'll see if we agree on the next one...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:51 pm 
Offline
Jeg lever med min foreldre

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:07 am
Posts: 5998
Location: USoA
Goat wrote:
North From Here wrote:
No. Somewhere in the 80 range seems fine. A few of the tracks wander. Not a believer in giving 90+ to everything that sounds good.


Fair enough! I intend to carry on through their discog, so we'll see if we agree on the next one...


Oh good, that means I get to carry on with their discog too!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:58 pm 
Offline
MetalReviews Staff
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:02 pm
Posts: 29014
Location: UK
North From Here wrote:
Goat wrote:
North From Here wrote:
No. Somewhere in the 80 range seems fine. A few of the tracks wander. Not a believer in giving 90+ to everything that sounds good.


Fair enough! I intend to carry on through their discog, so we'll see if we agree on the next one...


Oh good, that means I get to carry on with their discog too!


*high-five* All part of the service!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group