Quote:
Porcupine Tree - On The Sunday Of Life
Psychedelic Rock
Quoted: 79 / 100

Click here to see the review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:13 am 
Svartalfar

As a big PT-fan, I'm a bit ashamed having to admit that I haven't listened to any of their pre-Stupid Dream material. Nowadays I'm more interested in this kind of psychedelic rock than I used to be, so I'm thinking about fixing that.

So.. Which of the pre-Stupid Dream albums would you recommend to start with if one were to start exploring Porcupine Trees earlier albums? I think I've heard that The Sky Moves Sideways is supposed to be their most popular of the first four albums, but I'm not entirely sure..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:56 pm 
I live with my parents!

Malfeitor wrote:
As a big PT-fan, I'm a bit ashamed having to admit that I haven't listened to any of their pre-Stupid Dream material. Nowadays I'm more interested in this kind of psychedelic rock than I used to be, so I'm thinking about fixing that.

So.. Which of the pre-Stupid Dream albums would you recommend to start with if one were to start exploring Porcupine Trees earlier albums? I think I've heard that The Sky Moves Sideways is supposed to be their most popular of the first four albums, but I'm not entirely sure..

Well, I personally think In Absentia, Deadwing and Fear of a Blank Planet are the best of PT (in no order). I did not like Signify all that much and only really enjoyed a couple of tracks off of that album (although I haven't given it enough listens to be quite honest). The Sky Moves Sideways is very much a Pink Floyd like album and I believe Wilson had not found a distinguished sound of his own yet on that very album. Up the Downstair I have not heard and this album that has been just reviewed here, their debut, in Wilsons' own words was really a joke of an album; but don't that leave you hanging because it still has some elements to enjoy and maybe much more for you as you are a big PT fan. The same goes for The Sky Moves Sideways album. So I would start with Signify if I were you and move backwards from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:16 pm 
Svartalfar

Define Infinity wrote:

Well, I personally think In Absentia, Deadwing and Fear of a Blank Planet are the best of PT (in no order). I did not like Signify all that much and only really enjoyed a couple of tracks off of that album (although I haven't given it enough listens to be quite honest). The Sky Moves Sideways is very much a Pink Floyd like album and I believe Wilson had not found a distinguished sound of his own yet on that very album. Up the Downstair I have not heard and this album that has been just reviewed here, their debut, in Wilsons' own words was really a joke of an album; but don't that leave you hanging because it still has some elements to enjoy and maybe much more for you as you are a big PT fan. The same goes for The Sky Moves Sideways album. So I would start with Signify if I were you and move backwards from there.

Yeah, I'd say that Deadwing and In Absentia are my favourite PT albums, with Stupid Dream close behind. I've come to appreciate psychedelic music more than I used to, so I think I'm now ready to approach Steven Wilsons earlier creations. I've avoided them a bit earlier since they're supposed to be quite different from his later works. Thanks for the advice, will get Signify sometime in the near future.