Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 10:52 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:25 pm 
Ist Krieg

Goat wrote:
stevelovesmoonspell wrote:
Goat wrote:
Steve, where's the Nu Metal on this album?

My assessment of the album thus far have been the slower non-Covenant era knockoff riffs are largely reminiscent of Rob Zombie/Marilyn Manson style riffs such as "Destructos vs. The Earth" and the abomination "Radikult". You know the watered-down riffing where the guitar doesn't sound like it's doing more than humming. I don't consider the album death metal by their past standards, the only death metal songs being "Blades of Baal" and "Nevermore". With "Existo vulgore" taking a more groove metal approach, and the rest being a jumbled mallcore failure with obvious flirtations to nu-metal and industrial.

Industrial =! Nu Metal. Rather insulting that you lump them in together, I should review some old Godflesh to remind people why Industrial is awesome.

But Radikult and Destructos are more evocative of Rob Zombie than Godflesh, no?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:21 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

emperorblackdoom wrote:

Oh, dear god yes. Morbid Angel going Godflesh would possibly be even more mind-destroying. In a good way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:31 pm 
Ist Krieg

Goat wrote:
emperorblackdoom wrote:

Oh, dear god yes. Morbid Angel going Godflesh would possibly be even more mind-destroying. In a good way.

Had they gone the Godflesh (thinking Streetcleaner era) route, I daresay they would have made at least 90% of us happy. Maybe in another 8 years we'll get lucky!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:40 pm 
Banned Mallcore Kiddie

rio wrote:
dead1 wrote:

As for being close minded:

If I want to listen to Dean Martin album, I put on a Dean Martin album. (Man has the best voice ever)

If I want to listen to Queens of the Stone Age, I put on a Queens of the Stone Age album.

If I want to listen to Death Metal album, I put on a Death Metal album.

I do not want to pick up a CD from a Death Metal band and get badly played QOTSA or Dean Martin (like Devin Townsend or Dee Schneider trying to do Frank Sinatra - really sounds crap).

By the same token I do not want to pick up a QOTSA album and get badly played Death Metal. Or pick up a Living End rockabilly punk album and get badly played Thrash Metal.

The "open minded" guys always amaze me - they prefer Metal bands to not play Metal. If you don't like Metal, don't fucking listen to it. Simple.

So in other words you like music to be neatly packaged into bite-sized pieces... Fuck you, surprise!

Stefan was a little bit harsh... he is like the paramilitary wing of the Open Minded Brigade, whereas me and Goat are perhaps the parliamentary moderates.

I don't think people who don't like this album are idiots- I don't really like it myself and agree almost entirely with the four points made in the first half of dead1's post. But I'll tell you who I do think are idiots: people who say things like this:

Quote:
But don't tell Metalheads who like Metal that they're close minded idiots for not liking other stuff or for not liking supposed progression (I call it selling out or losing the plot).

For you 'progression' and 'selling out/losing the plot' are synonymous... Yes, I must confess, to me this seems like the viewpoint of an idiot.

They are not that different in the current circumstance as you would presume, though your point is granted that Morbid Angel are not selling out. My assessment of this album being somewhat similar to Cryptopsy's experimental tendencies on their latest pile of shit, both bands experimented with their respective tendencies and both having at least one member introducing elements of a concurrent project into the corpus of the main band. Hmm, let's see it didn't work for Cryptopsy when during the songwriting process when Flo and Mccgathy introduced deathcore elements, and it obviously floundered miserably when Trey introduced his industrial elements into the bloodstream of Morbid Angel. This being a conscious decision on his part is far from "losing the plot", however, it does make for completely botching the album. As for the claim that being "open-minded" indicates tolerating this dogshit, I am inclined to disagree strongly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:35 pm 
Karma Whore

rio wrote:
Stefan was a little bit harsh... he is like the paramilitary wing of the Open Minded Brigade, whereas me and Goat are perhaps the parliamentary moderates.

I had missed that.
Spot on Chucky! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:29 am 
Einherjar

traptunderice wrote:
You should like the band for what creativity they are able to demonstrate rather than if they meet these five criterion of what it takes to be what you expect of them.

Actually you should like a band if you enjoy listening to it for whatever reason.

Forcing oneself to like a band just cause they're creative (or brutal or technical or extreme or pop or whatever) is not a good way to experience music.

I view music as entertainment. I listen to stuff I like. I do not listen to stuff I don't like.

And I listen to music for the emotional experience. If I want something angry I listen to Kreator or Morbid Angel's Domination or Slayer. If I want party music, I listen to Guns N Roses, Motley Crue. If it's a stormy night and I want to experience a bit of a Hammer Horror vibe, I chuck on Cradle of Filth. Etc etc.

The new Morbid Angel album is too disjointed to be enjoyable for me. For the most part it also lacks the things I liked about Morbid Angel which was basically their take on Death Metal on albums A,B,C,D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:09 am 
Ist Krieg

Haha, the whole idea that criticisizing a band for "treading new ground" when it falls short as being "close minded" or "an idiot" is fucking lame.

dead1 had it right.
If I want to hear third-rate industrial, that's what I will put in my CD player.
Sadly, I can also put in the new Morbid Angel.

Even the DM parts are trite, stale and worst of all, boring... 8 years and this is the best they could do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:17 am 
Ist Krieg

emperorblackdoom wrote:
The Annoying Frenchman wrote:
Do you guys realize that, every time a metal band tries to evolve (aka change its sound), it gets nothing but reprobation, insults and accusations of "selling-out"?Doesn't that mean that most metalheads are in fact conservatists of the worst kind?
I've never been a fan a MA (Altars in quite nice, though), but since this album gets dissed by so many closed-minded idiots, I'll give it a shot.
Thanks for the heads up Jake and nice writing too.

There is evolution (like, say, Ulver) and then there is this.

I knew the 'open-minded ones' would be the ones name-calling and whining about the 'dumb metalheads', while the dumb metalheads just gave their honest opinions.

See how "open minded" they are when it comes to Burzum, Drudkh, NSBM, etc... oh, wait.
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:23 am 
Ist Krieg

The albums pretty much blows, case closed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:51 am 
Metal Lord

This album has to be an elaborate troll attempt or something. Hearing this reminds me of the first time I heard The Unspoken King.

Also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8ZpJ4lv ... r_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:45 am 
Metal King

AlexandeR wrote:
Where are you from? Dictatorship, in the south, in the 80's... somewhere in south América?

South Eastern Europe was full of dictators back in the 80s. One of communism's great gifts to the people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:57 am 
MetalReviews Staff

cry of the banshee wrote:
emperorblackdoom wrote:
Do you guys realize that, every time a metal band tries to evolve (aka change its sound), it gets nothing but reprobation, insults and accusations of "selling-out"?Doesn't that mean that most metalheads are in fact conservatists of the worst kind?
I've never been a fan a MA (Altars in quite nice, though), but since this album gets dissed by so many closed-minded idiots, I'll give it a shot.

I knew the 'open-minded ones' would be the ones name-calling and whining about the 'dumb metalheads', while the dumb metalheads just gave their honest opinions.

See how "open minded" they are when it comes to Burzum, Drudkh, NSBM, etc... oh, wait.

Haha!

You have found a way to relate the new Morbid Angel to your quaint persecution complex on behalf of your little nazi bands. Colour me surprised.

Interesting, isn't it, how some of us are so anti-Burzum and anti-Drudkh that we gave them highly positive reviews on this very site. :lol: D'oh.

You have an enormous chip on your shoulder. Depressing people bringing up the same depressing arguments again and again seems to be the lifesblood of this forum.

Also, I find it hard to relate to someone who cannot tell that, when I refer to myself as being 'the parliamentary moderate of the Open Minded Brigade', there is an element of self-satirising involved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:09 am 
Banned Mallcore Kiddie

rio wrote:
emperorblackdoom wrote:

Haha!

You have found a way to relate the new Morbid Angel to your quaint persecution complex on behalf of your little nazi bands. Colour me surprised.

Interesting, isn't it, how some of us are so anti-Burzum and anti-Drudkh that we gave them highly positive reviews on this very site. :lol: D'oh.

You have an enormous chip on your shoulder. Depressing people bringing up the same depressing arguments again and again seems to be the lifesblood of this forum.

Vehement Nationalism does not make an individual a "Nazi", never once have I encountered anything of any semblance towards Nazism in Roman's work. Perhaps it would be better to clarify for you and others that vehement Nationalism, as is obvious with his predilection tout his Slavonic heritage does not make him at odds with other races. Apart from Purity Hate Forest were not and I repeat never an NS act, and to associate Drudkh with Nazism may have something to do with an ulterior motive to associate them and or brand them with that ideological stigma. I personally see no parallels to be drawn between Morbid Angel and Drudkh, other than both of their newest albums being horrible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:18 am 
MetalReviews Staff

Dear me, first Morbid Angel is at St Anger levels, now you're implying that Handful Of Stars was too? :rolleyes:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:22 am 
Banned Mallcore Kiddie

Goat wrote:
Dear me, first Morbid Angel is at St Anger levels, now you're implying that Handful Of Stars was too? :rolleyes:

Perhaps, that was a tad too much of an overreaction on my part, sir. It was more or less a 5/10, as opposed to the MA which is about a 0/10.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:11 pm 
Ist Krieg

rio wrote:
Also, I find it hard to relate to someone who cannot tell that, when I refer to myself as being 'the parliamentary moderate of the Open Minded Brigade', there is an element of self-satirising involved.

COTB just wanted to get you to start posting again. :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:57 pm 
Metal King

http://morbidfails.tumblr.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:59 pm 
Metal King

Goat wrote:
I can't believe people are comparing this to St Anger. Illud has two things that St Anger didn't - great solos and songs that fit in with what the band are known for. Comparing it to St Anger as a way of description is just lazy.

I'm not sure about your point about solos. It just seems like you are reaching for something, anything positive to say. The lack of solos was not the reason St. Anger sucked .. off the top of my head there is plenty of good metal with little or no soloing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:16 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

GeneralDiomedes wrote:
Goat wrote:
I can't believe people are comparing this to St Anger. Illud has two things that St Anger didn't - great solos and songs that fit in with what the band are known for. Comparing it to St Anger as a way of description is just lazy.

I'm not sure about your point about solos. It just seems like you are reaching for something, anything positive to say. The lack of solos was not the reason St. Anger sucked .. off the top of my head there is plenty of good metal with little or no soloing.

I wasn't saying that Illud has solos therefore it is good, St Anger didn't and therefore was bad. Was replying to people comparing the two albums by pointing out the differences, and criticising the lazy 'this is as bad as St Anger' thing people always say when reacting very negatively to an album that doesn't live up to their expectations. It's the Godwin's Law of metal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:15 pm 
Ist Krieg

rio wrote:
emperorblackdoom wrote:

Haha!

I wasn't even referring to you, so you can fuck right off.

But, IMO, the comparison is a valid one, and isn't about Brzum, etc.... ostensibly or otherwise.
The "open minded" bullshit thrown around seems to be very selectively applied. If you can't see the point, then I can't help you.

As for the rest of your post: emotion driven pablum devoid of logic and not worth a response.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next