Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:03 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:05 am 
Banned Mallcore Kiddie

cry of the banshee wrote:
emperorblackdoom wrote:
The Evil Dead wrote:
Adveser wrote:
Little Richard is totally metal related, once you accept that the roots of the tree count too. Blue Cheer aren't metal either, but they have a connection that every metal fan should understand and respect if they care at all how the music they like came to be. I am firmly in the camp of the best quality is the best without consideration at all to the period. Everything should stand up to anything, but come on, if people are going to glorify the beatles to the extent they are, surely much better deserves at least equal attention. You don't have to make excuses for early rock and roll because it was built on a foundation of solid songwriting that is timeless.

Yeah fucking great. Who cares. :lol:

+1 Adveser can draw the continuity line all he wants between Little Richard and the verse/chorus stuff he listens to all he wants but it doesn't speak for the whole metal genre.

Fuck Little Richard.
There is no link to metal.
The roots of metal originate in the mid-late 60s, anybody that says otherwise doesn't know their history.
Why stop there? Why not review jump blues, gospel and whatever spirituals influenced Little Richard?
Hell, Jerry Lee Lewis is more "metal" than Little Richard.
Tutti Frutti?
Get the fuck outta here with that shit.

AWAPPABOBBADOOWOOWAWAPPABAMBOOM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:08 am 
Ist Krieg

stevelovesmoonspell wrote:
emperorblackdoom wrote:
The Evil Dead wrote:
Adveser wrote:
Little Richard is totally metal related, once you accept that the roots of the tree count too. Blue Cheer aren't metal either, but they have a connection that every metal fan should understand and respect if they care at all how the music they like came to be. I am firmly in the camp of the best quality is the best without consideration at all to the period. Everything should stand up to anything, but come on, if people are going to glorify the beatles to the extent they are, surely much better deserves at least equal attention. You don't have to make excuses for early rock and roll because it was built on a foundation of solid songwriting that is timeless.

+1 Adveser can draw the continuity line all he wants between Little Richard and the verse/chorus stuff he listens to all he wants but it doesn't speak for the whole metal genre.

Fuck Little Richard.
The roots of metal originate in the mid-late 60s, anybody that says otherwise doesn't know their history.
Why stop there? Why not review jump blues, gospel and whatever spirituals influenced Little Richard?
Tutti Frutti?

haha, that song was orinally written and played in homosexual clubs, with homoerotic lyrics. But that shit didn't fly too well back in the 50s so they hired a lyricist to re-gear the song.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:13 am 
Banned Mallcore Kiddie

emperorblackdoom wrote:
The Evil Dead wrote:
Adveser wrote:

Fuck Little Richard.
Tutti Frutti?

haha, that song was orinally written and played in homosexual clubs, with homoerotic lyrics. But that shit didn't fly too well back in the 50s so they hired a lyricist to re-gear the song.

Which is why it's so influential in metal these days, how else do you explain bands like Agalloch, Dream theater, and Opeth?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:14 am 
Ist Krieg

emperorblackdoom wrote:
The Evil Dead wrote:
Adveser wrote:

Fuck Little Richard.
Tutti Frutti?

Which is why it's so influential in metal these days, how else do you explain bands like Agalloch, Dream theater, and Opeth?

booyah!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:15 am 
Ist Krieg

lol adding homophobia to the thread's obv racism well done

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:15 am 
Ist Krieg

noodles wrote:

lol
idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:34 am 
Ist Krieg

noodles wrote:

Shut up racist! You don't consider non-whites undateable!

Steve: Forgot why I initially didn't like you, thanks for the Opeth/Agalloch to remind me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:41 am 
Banned Mallcore Kiddie

emperorblackdoom wrote:
noodles wrote:

Steve: Forgot why I initially didn't like you, thanks for the Opeth/Agalloch to remind me.

:lol:

A reboot is sometimes necessary, no other reason not like those bands other than the mere fact their music is some of the most trying and boring shit these ears have ever encountered. Faux-artistic sensibilities aside ten minutes from either band is the audio equivalent of watching paint dry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:09 am 
Karma Whore

Adveser wrote:

BITCH!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:08 am 
Metal King

Little Richard's influence comes by the way of rockabilly -> punk -> metal. The connection is most obvious in a band like Motorhead, who have many songs that follow the traditional rock'n'roll format pioneered by the likes of LR. They have some metal songs obviously, but most are just high octane rock'n'roll. And that's what LR was back in the day, high octane for his particular time.

HOWEVER .. does it belong on a metal review site, even as one with as little editorial oversight as this one? I can't see how. It could exist as an editorial, or a thoughtful forum post, but as a review it's reeeally stretching it. I must admit when I first saw it, I thought it was some kind of joke.

I mean .. I have to go to other sites to find reviews of stuff like the new Agalloch, yet I don't have to go to another site to read about a wikipedia worthy subject like Little Richard?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:32 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

I have given this some thought and because boogie is related to rocakbilly and rock n' roll which is related to punk which is related to rock which is related to metal doesn't mean it's suited for this site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:01 pm 
Metal King

emperorblackdoom wrote:
noodles wrote:

A reboot is sometimes necessary, no other reason not like those bands other than the mere fact their music is some of the most trying and boring shit these ears have ever encountered. Faux-artistic sensibilities aside ten minutes from either band is the audio equivalent of watching paint dry.

Inb4 someone rattles off and endless list of death/metalcore/deathcore bands you listen to that haven't changed their sound one iota throughout their career.

:ph34r:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:26 pm 
Banned Mallcore Kiddie

Speedyjx wrote:
emperorblackdoom wrote:
noodles wrote:

Inb4 someone rattles off and endless list of death/metalcore/deathcore bands you listen to that haven't changed their sound one iota throughout their career.

:ph34r:

I haven't mentioned any deathcore bands since I posted about seeing Whitechapel and The acacia strain in the live show thread, so I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. Aside from this I listen to more than those aforementioned genres, and even the worst moments on a Lividity album, would be more tolberable than Agalloch, Opeth has their moments that I can concede to some extent..

Post subject: Re: Little Richard - Here's Little Richard (#6855)
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 4:52 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

RIP!

(ah, the forum ten years ago!)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:59 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Every so often I re-read this review, and thread, and smile. It's like coming back to a place you visited with an old friend you haven't spoken to in a while, or rewatching a film you loved as a child but haven't thought about in years. I'll tell my future children, aeons beyond; become ungovernable, don't believe propaganda, brush your teeth twice daily and floss, review Little Richard on a site once infamous for its black metal purity.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:15 pm 
Karma Whore

That Steven guy sounds like a total retard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:52 pm 
Ist Krieg

Same with emperorblackdoom. What the hell was I talking about on this thread? Mr. Pure metalman nonsense I guess.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6