Quote:
Darkthrone - Circle the Wagons
Blackened Crust Punk
Quoted: 82 / 100

Click here to see the review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:59 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

I agree with the score. Much better than the previous two, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:15 pm 
The Commish

I listen to this stuff randomly on youtube..

I like it :ph34r:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:28 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Agreed with the score, and for sure this is a step up from DTABF. It's a really fun album, and the opening song is killer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:50 pm 
Einherjar

I didnt like this one..... but that isnt a surprise to anyone, eh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:29 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

I don't get all the the DT&BF hate... I think that's a damn fine album. Not as good as this one, but still great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:48 pm 
Ist Krieg

Their best since TCIA, no doubt. I liked the past two but this one is where they perfected the style they were trying to make. Maybe they should consider going in a different direction now, because even though even their worse crust albums have some merit, this shit can get boring rather quickly. I bet we will see a "DARKTHRONE RETURNS TO ITS ROOTS" news in blabbermouth in the next few years. They should. I'm not expecting another ABITNS, that would be pointless, but a new Hate Them would be more than appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:07 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Darkthrone has always been a bit flaky about their personality when it comes to music. When they made the switch to black metal after Soulside Journey they were clearly following a trend, but their transition over to crust was made completely of their own accord without regards to any sort of scene. Who knows what they'll do next. Judging from the "Fenriz' Band Of The Week" updates on Darkthrone's Myspace, though, it seems they're really into super underground stuff, whether it be heavy metal, thrash, or death. So at least we know they won't be making a pop album anytime soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:23 am 
The Commish

their next album should be an intense, fast as hell blackened thrash assault.

I can dig it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:24 pm 
Metal Fighter

Afro_D-Shak wrote:
Darkthrone has always been a bit flaky about their personality when it comes to music. When they made the switch to black metal after Soulside Journey they were clearly following a trend, but their transition over to crust was made completely of their own accord without regards to any sort of scene. Who knows what they'll do next. Judging from the "Fenriz' Band Of The Week" updates on Darkthrone's Myspace, though, it seems they're really into super underground stuff, whether it be heavy metal, thrash, or death. So at least we know they won't be making a pop album anytime soon.

I disagree. If they'd wanted to follow a trend they would have kept playing death metal, since that really was what was "trendy" in '91. Fenriz has explained in many interviews that they simply wanted to play something more primitive (even in their demos you get that feeling, too), which according to their influences really did make sense as well fit into their whole DIY philosophy. To call black metal a trend in '91 when they began recording A Blaze would be pretty erroneous. There was not much of a "bandwagon" to jump on. He also expresses disillusion with what death metal was becoming, and in many ways A Blaze was a reaction to it right down to the cover art. The way their music has developed since supports those statements. Their crust era arguably developed out of a similar detest for modern day black metal.

I also think the review misinterprets the lyrics to I am the Graves of the 80's. It's more likely a statement on what he's, in the past, called "plastic mr. fancy metal" and the tendency in "black metal" these days to lose the black metal ethos and the original purpose it served for the early Norwegian bands. The band is obviously interested in the early eras of metal and punk, not in turning into a crust punk/shoegaze band or something ridiculous like that. They seem perfectly content to stick to the roots. In Until the Light Takes Us documentary he further elaborates on that in the portion of the documentary after he does the interview with the German journalist.

Anyways, I've only heard the songs on youtube so far since my local record shop hasn't got Circle the Wagons in yet, but I keep checking back and will definitely be picking it up when they do. I actually wasn't a big fan of their stylistic change at first, but then Dark Thrones and Black Flags really clicked with me and now I really enjoy the last two albums, and seems Circle will be great, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:48 pm 
Ist Krieg

another solid darkthrone album, who could have guessed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:43 am 
Ist Krieg

IronDuchess wrote:
Afro_D-Shak wrote:

I disagree. If they'd wanted to follow a trend they would have kept playing death metal, since that really was what was "trendy" in '91. Fenriz has explained in many interviews that they simply wanted to play something more primitive (even in their demos you get that feeling, too), which according to their influences really did make sense as well fit into their whole DIY philosophy. To call black metal a trend in '91 when they began recording A Blaze would be pretty erroneous. There was not much of a "bandwagon" to jump on. He also expresses disillusion with what death metal was becoming, and in many ways A Blaze was a reaction to it right down to the cover art. The way their music has developed since supports those statements. Their crust era arguably developed out of a similar detest for modern day black metal.

I also think the review misinterprets the lyrics to I am the Graves of the 80's. It's more likely a statement on what he's, in the past, called "plastic mr. fancy metal" and the tendency in "black metal" these days to lose the black metal ethos and the original purpose it served for the early Norwegian bands. The band is obviously interested in the early eras of metal and punk, not in turning into a crust punk/shoegaze band or something ridiculous like that. They seem perfectly content to stick to the roots. In Until the Light Takes Us documentary he further elaborates on that in the portion of the documentary after he does the interview with the German journalist.

Anyways, I've only heard the songs on youtube so far since my local record shop hasn't got Circle the Wagons in yet, but I keep checking back and will definitely be picking it up when they do. I actually wasn't a big fan of their stylistic change at first, but then Dark Thrones and Black Flags really clicked with me and now I really enjoy the last two albums, and seems Circle will be great, too.

Exactly.
They were eschewing the current "trend", which was death metal at the time. At any rate. how could they be following a trend when:
a) Black metal was far from the trend in 1991 /92.
b) They were at the very forefront of what is known as the second wave of black metal. Sure there was the fledgleing first wave, i.e. Bathory, Mayhem and a few others, but the second wave was the catalyst. How can the vanguard be followers?

Anyway, Darkthrone has never made an album I dislike (except maybe Total Death; not that I dislike it, but it just doesn't live up to what I have come to expect from them), so I know i'll like this as soon as I get around to picking it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:19 am 
MetalReviews Staff

cry of the banshee wrote:
IronDuchess wrote:
Afro_D-Shak wrote:

Exactly.
They were eschewing the current "trend", which was death metal at the time. At any rate. how could they be following a trend when:
b) They were at the very forefront of what is known as the second wave of black metal. Sure there was the fledgleing first wave, i.e. Bathory, Mayhem and a few others, but the second wave was the catalyst. How can the vanguard be followers?

Anyway, Darkthrone has never made an album I dislike (except maybe Total Death; not that I dislike it, but it just doesn't live up to what I have come to expect from them), so I know i'll like this as soon as I get around to picking it up.

My bad, my bad. I had my facts fucked up for whatever reason. For some reason I was under the impression that Darkthrone switched to black metal when the genre was in full swing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:22 am 
Ist Krieg

Afro_D-Shak wrote:
IronDuchess wrote:
Afro_D-Shak wrote:

Exactly.

My bad, my bad. I had my facts fucked up for whatever reason. For some reason I was under the impression that Darkthrone switched to black metal when the genre was in full swing.

No harm done.
Shit happens every now and then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:05 am 
Ist Krieg

Eh, I just can't appreciate the punkish direction. In fact, I haven't really liked anything by them since Ravishing Grimness. Oh well, I'll always respect the heck out of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:12 pm 
The Commish

Afro_D-Shak wrote:
IronDuchess wrote:
Afro_D-Shak wrote:

Exactly.

No harm done.
Shit happens every now and then.

just don't ever let it happen again

Last edited by DevotedWalnut on Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:20 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

I know that you think that kind of thing is funny, Walnut, but to a casual reader of the site it looks awful. Can you edit it to something else, please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:33 pm 
The Commish

NO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:40 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

People just can't understand a good inside joke.

He's just jealous because he's not a part of it. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:45 pm 
The Commish

Afro_D-Shak wrote:
People just can't understand a good inside joke.

He's just jealous because he's not a part of it. :wink:

+1