Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu May 28, 2020 8:40 am



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: 'Aquaria - Luxaeterna (#6469)'
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:07 pm 
Offline
MetalReviews Staff
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:50 am
Posts: 5515
You're welcome to comment on:
Quote:
Image
Aquaria - Luxaeterna
Symphonic Power Metal
Quoted: 95 / 100


Click here to see the review.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:04 pm 
Offline
Ist Krieg
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:24 am
Posts: 8992
Location: Husker Nation
Good old Aquaria. I've always liked these guys, very fruity, but very good. The Angra comparison is spot on, except instead of Rhapsody I'd throw in Freedom Call.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:18 pm 
Offline
MetalReviews Staff
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:22 am
Posts: 2443
Location: Emporia, Kansas
metalNESS wrote:
Good old Aquaria. I've always liked these guys, very fruity, but very good. The Angra comparison is spot on, except instead of Rhapsody I'd throw in Freedom Call.

I hear more Freedom Call-isms in their second album, but not so much in this one. It's just as melodic as Eternity, but it's a different kind of melodic, I guess. One is very fruity, the other just plain cheesy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:28 pm 
Offline
Karma Whore
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:11 am
Posts: 3884
Location: From the sunshine state of Euphoria
metalNESS wrote:
Good old Aquaria. I've always liked these guys, very fruity, but very good. The Angra comparison is spot on, except instead of Rhapsody I'd throw in Freedom Call.


Actually I would throw in Stratovarius instead of FC.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:59 pm 
Offline
Einherjar
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:08 pm
Posts: 2232
Location: Belgium
I'm starting to have doubts about listening to this now.
I can stand some flower metal but when I hear Freedom Call I instantly run in the opposite direction.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:54 pm 
Offline
Ist Krieg
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:24 am
Posts: 8992
Location: Husker Nation
Milan wrote:
I'm starting to have doubts about listening to this now.
I can stand some flower metal but when I hear Freedom Call I instantly run in the opposite direction.


There is a lot more Angra. I think the singer even sounds like Edu Falschi at times. You should really check it out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:39 pm 
Offline
Einherjar
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:08 pm
Posts: 2232
Location: Belgium
metalNESS wrote:
Milan wrote:
I'm starting to have doubts about listening to this now.
I can stand some flower metal but when I hear Freedom Call I instantly run in the opposite direction.


There is a lot more Angra. I think the singer even sounds like Edu Falschi at times. You should really check it out.


I reallly like Angra (although so far I've only heard Aurora Consurgens, I should look more into them), so maybe I might give this a listen after all.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:31 pm 
Offline
MetalReviews Staff
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:22 am
Posts: 2443
Location: Emporia, Kansas
Milan wrote:

I reallly like Angra (although so far I've only heard Aurora Consurgens, I should look more into them), so maybe I might give this a listen after all.


Only Aurora Consurgens?? :omfg: I mean, that's a great album, but it's also their worst in my opinion.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:55 pm 
Offline
Einherjar
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:08 pm
Posts: 2232
Location: Belgium
Afro_D-Shak wrote:
Milan wrote:

I reallly like Angra (although so far I've only heard Aurora Consurgens, I should look more into them), so maybe I might give this a listen after all.


Only Aurora Consurgens?? :omfg: I mean, that's a great album, but it's also their worst in my opinion.


It was the only Angra album available at the local shop I usually go to, so I didn't actually have a choice. But I like it, and if you say it's their worst then I have some good times ahead of me!
Any suggestions on where I should start?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:25 pm 
Offline
MetalReviews Staff
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:22 am
Posts: 2443
Location: Emporia, Kansas
Milan wrote:
Afro_D-Shak wrote:
Milan wrote:

I reallly like Angra (although so far I've only heard Aurora Consurgens, I should look more into them), so maybe I might give this a listen after all.


Only Aurora Consurgens?? :omfg: I mean, that's a great album, but it's also their worst in my opinion.


It was the only Angra album available at the local shop I usually go to, so I didn't actually have a choice. But I like it, and if you say it's their worst then I have some good times ahead of me!
Any suggestions on where I should start?

Temple of Shadows and Rebirth are definitely great starting places. Angels Cry is good too, if you're wanting some of their older material.
Here, I'll give you a few samples to get you started:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo1hd9Sd1o0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo9yoHXVtME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pmekOEqnH4
And of course, their biggest "Hit":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn7y5ShT ... re=related

Also, if you were still on the fence about Aquaria, give this song a go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7tvWWt1-Eo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:33 pm 
Offline
Einherjar
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:01 am
Posts: 2130
Location: Here!
Milan wrote:
Any suggestions on where I should start?



http://www.metalreviews.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14929

Nothing like a poll.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:08 pm 
Offline
Metal Fighter
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:42 am
Posts: 341
Except that Holy Land is much better than Temple of Shadows.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:01 pm 
Offline
Einherjar
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:08 pm
Posts: 2232
Location: Belgium
Thanks for the suggestions. I listened to all of them and so far I enjoyed the song from Temple of Shadows the most. I think I'll be picking that one up first and then move on to Holy Land.

About Aquaria: I listened to that song as well and I'm not really sure if it is my thing. I'll check out some other songs to be sure but I'll probably just stick to Angra.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:35 am 
Offline
MetalReviews Staff
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:22 am
Posts: 2443
Location: Emporia, Kansas
howlin'wolf wrote:
Except that Holy Land is much better than Temple of Shadows.

I'd agree with you there, but I think that Temple of Shadows is a better album for someone that is new to Angra.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group