You're welcome to comment on:
Quote:
Moonsorrow - V: Havitetty
Epic Black Metal
Quoted: 80 / 100

Click here to see the review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:33 pm 
Wow! I liked Moonsorrow OK before this and all but this record is a MONSTER. Total awesomness. I admit being a sucker for epic songs both in lenght and musical elements, but this album just slays. There are so many moods and feelings in here and I feel Ville has really upped his game on the vocals.
On Varjojen Virta, when he shrieks out "en täältä löydä...MITÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄN" the hairs on my nutsacks fell off and went up in smoke upon contacting the ground.

I think people finding this album hard to stomach for whatever reason should find my interview with Ville Sorvali which I conducted at the Tuska Open Air Metal festival interesting. I will be upping it in the coming weeks.

So as a guy who liked the band for some time but never has repeatedly listened to them with feverish fandom or bought their records on the release date, this is just stupendous. Definitely my likely Finnish album of the year and stands good chances on a year-end global top 15 as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:27 pm 
Ist Krieg

I've loved just about anything Moonsorrow ever released, definitely at the top of the whole Viking thing, but as usual I found this very hard to digest. It's good but I would have preferred shorter songs, given my given my attention span of a 5 year old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:06 am 
Svartalfar

Nice review!

I wouldn't get bogged down in trying to find "the essence of moonsorrow" or comparing this work with their earlier works. As you pointed out, they try something different on each album. In my opinion, moonsorrow are a metal band of the highest calibre and fantastic song writers.

Simply put, this album is epic, pure, and catchy as hell! Parts of each song make me wanna ditch my suit and be a viking :P

94/100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:25 pm 
Einherjar

I hate this question but as I don't have any Moonsorrow CD's yet. Would this CD be a good starting point? I have sampled their stuff and I love it. Long epic songs don't bother me at all. Nor does experimentation. So, the length and complexity of this CD wouldn't bother me. What do you guys think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:56 pm 
Karma Whore

Raven wrote:
I hate this question but as I don't have any Moonsorrow CD's yet. Would this CD be a good starting point? I have sampled their stuff and I love it. Long epic songs don't bother me at all. Nor does experimentation. So, the length and complexity of this CD wouldn't bother me. What do you guys think?

I think you should start with "Suden Uni" or "Kivenkantaja", thats their best albums IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:37 pm 
Karma Whore

Look here are two videos from Kivenkantaja:

Moonsorrow - Jumalten Kaupunki

Moonsorrow - Raunioilla - this is actually a fan made video about some game but you can just listen to the song.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:35 am 
Ist Krieg

My favorite is Kivenkantaja, go for that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:40 am 
Raven wrote:

Suden Uni and Voimasta Ja Kuniisasta are early albums and have some production and vocal flaws, and are pretty authentic.
Kivenkataja is beautifully melodic and soothing, while Verisakeet has soem tendencies of the latest album, but also is quite melodic and folky. The latest album has the least openly folk elements. If you more in the mood for the folk, pick Kivenkantaja, if you are after epic progressive Viking stuff, you can start here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:24 am 
Metal Lord

brilliant