Quote:
Symphony X - The Damnation Game
Progressive Metal
Quoted: 84 / 100

Click here to see the review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:24 am 
Ist Krieg

Decent album. Symphony X rarely fails. Possibly hasn't ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:03 pm 
Svartalfar

Yes I must agree, they are one of those bands that rarely seem to release a bad record, maybe a not so great song now and then but overall very solid band.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:51 pm 
Metal King

Great album, one of their best. The only SymhonyX album that dissapointed me was Paradise Lost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:50 pm 
Ist Krieg

stub wrote:
The only SymhonyX album that dissapointed me was Paradise Lost.
Wow. Listen to it more? Do elaborate if you don't mind. I don't mean to offend I just don't understand how you can like their other stuff and not like PL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:07 am 
MetalReviews Staff

Actually, Paradise Lost disappointed me as well. It has grown on me the last few times I listened to it, but I still prefer this album and V to Paradise Lost.

My explanation is:

I became a Symphony X fan when the Odyssey came out. Then I ventured into their back catalogue, which is mostly as good as and sometimes better as that album. Waiting for a follow-up took 4 years...in that time, the expectations were raised so high that nothing short of an absolute masterpiece could meet them.

Aside from that, I never thought Symphony X's forte was being particularly heavy, so the new direction caught me off guard, and I still don't dig it as much as, say, this album. Michael Romeo's solos are predictable. Thanks to the heavier music and his smoking habit, Russell no longer sounds as majestic as he used to (except on the title track, which I think is one of the best Symph X songs ever). Some songs are longer than they should be, and it just begins to sound repetitive toward the end. All this said, I've grown to like Eve of Seduction, Set the World on Fire, and I've always loved the song Paradise Lost.

I realize this post is like my own mini-review of the album, but that's the explanation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:26 pm 
Metal King

BoJay wrote:
Actually, Paradise Lost disappointed me as well. It has grown on me the last few times I listened to it, but I still prefer this album and V to Paradise Lost.

My explanation is:

I became a Symphony X fan when the Odyssey came out. Then I ventured into their back catalogue, which is mostly as good as and sometimes better as that album. Waiting for a follow-up took 4 years...in that time, the expectations were raised so high that nothing short of an absolute masterpiece could meet them.

Aside from that, I never thought Symphony X's forte was being particularly heavy, so the new direction caught me off guard, and I still don't dig it as much as, say, this album. Michael Romeo's solos are predictable. Thanks to the heavier music and his smoking habit, Russell no longer sounds as majestic as he used to (except on the title track, which I think is one of the best Symph X songs ever). Some songs are longer than they should be, and it just begins to sound repetitive toward the end. All this said, I've grown to like Eve of Seduction, Set the World on Fire, and I've always loved the song Paradise Lost.

I realize this post is like my own mini-review of the album, but that's the explanation.

i agree with this guy; plus i don't like the guitar sound on Paradise Lost, it sounds too modern for my tastes; i'm an old school metal fan.
Damnation Game was before they brought in the Pantera style riffs , which is another reason i like it very much. (yes i do HATE Pantera).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:46 pm 
Ist Krieg

stub wrote:
(yes i do HATE Pantera).
That's an acceptable stance. I don't listen to much power metal so the heaviness of PL was pretty awesome in my taste.