Quote:
Warrel Dane - Praises To The War Machine
Atmospherical Heavy Metal
Quoted: 75 / 100

Click here to see the review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:58 pm 
Metal Lord

80/100 for me and "Messenger" is a great track.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:01 pm 
Ist Krieg

The negativity of the review is contradicted by the 75/100.

I'd give the album a 50/100. Vocals are as great as always yet that is really all that is there. It's decent but his vocals weren't different enough from his Nevermore performances to warrant the change of background.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:45 pm 
Ist Krieg

horrible album. i tried to listen to it twice and i don't think i got past the fourth song either time. Warrel's vocals are solid but the music itself is incredibly dull. Peter Wichers used to be so awesome too :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:53 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

warrel dane is the most overrated vocalist ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:04 pm 
Svartalfar

I would probably give it an 80/100 also.

I enjoyed the bulk of the album at first, but now there are really only a few standout great tracks for me. The only songs I really dig are "August", "Your Chosen Misery", "Brother", and "Patterns".

I wasn't expecting anything amazing from this album though... Right after I heard about Wichers, I had my doubts confirmed. As the reviewer stated... I don't dig the goth or the melodic hard rock stuff.

Not bad, but not great. Let's hope for something spectacular from Loomis!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:48 pm 
Einherjar

metal_xxx wrote:

After the live experience I had a couple years ago, I agree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:23 am 
Einherjar

The Evil Dead wrote:
metal_xxx wrote:

After the live experience I had a couple years ago, I agree.

I dunno if I'd go that far, but after going on a Nevermore binge a while back I don't see what's so great about his vocals...the nasal tone of his voice is actually kind of irritating. Granted, I still like Nevermore because they're an awesome band as a whole, but I don't think I'd like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:36 am 
Not a bad album... One would have expected more inspired music from Nevermore's singer... Still, it's listenable if not very enthusing...

60/100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:25 am 
Einherjar

To be fair, it seemed like at my show Dane was doped up from smack or something. He missed out on a lot of lyrics, called Jeff Loomis a bitch, and stumbled around on stage. I suppose he could have been totally wasted but it didn't seem like alcohol was the case. The rest of the band was solid, too.

It didn't really help my case of not liking Nevermore, either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:34 am 
Ist Krieg

I know he's had some alcohol problems. But when I saw them, they were amazing...

And Warrel Dane's one of my favorite singers. Holy Jesus, that guy's good. If anything, I'd say he's overlooked. Nasally tone my ass.

I've heard a couple songs from this album, and it really didn't sound all that special. I'll just wait for the new Nevermore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:35 pm 
Metal Servant

I am a huge Nevermore fan, but I have to agree with this review and most of the comments. It's not a bad album but not that great either. I would probably rate it around a 70. Warrel's vocals sound good but the music is kinda bland.

This is actually one of the more objective reviews I have read of this album. Most of the big metal websites were heaping loads of high praise for this album and I could not figure it out?

P.S. I have heard Jeff's new solo allbum and it is outstanding for an instrumental!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:42 pm 
Ist Krieg

It took me years to get into Warrel Dane, but once I did... oh man. I'll second Legacy, Warrel Dane is one of my favorite singers now. My Nevermore collection has tripled in the last year. Listening to him when he sang for Sanctuary is a whole new experience. He has some frikin range!

Btw, haven't heard this one yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:27 pm 
Metal Marc wrote:
I am a huge Nevermore fan, but I have to agree with this review and most of the comments. It's not a bad album but not that great either. I would probably rate it around a 70. Warrel's vocals sound good but the music is kinda bland.

This is actually one of the more objective reviews I have read of this album. Most of the big metal websites were heaping loads of high praise for this album and I could not figure it out?

P.S. I have heard Jeff's new solo allbum and it is outstanding for an instrumental!

I've heard Loomis' album and, though it has some nice moments, it's just another shred album...

Loomis & Dane are way better when they do Nevermore so, let's get back to work you guys! :mad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:52 pm 
Metal Servant

Stefan wrote:
Metal Marc wrote:

I've heard Loomis' album and, though it has some nice moments, it's just another shred album...

Loomis & Dane are way better when they do Nevermore so, let's get back to work you guys! :mad:

Well I am not usually a fan of instrumentals but I really like Jeff Loomis's style! There is a lot of shred but there are also some pretty well writen melodic themes that you can pick up on after repeated listenings.

I agree though, I'd much rather hear a new Nevermore album any day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:32 pm 
Einherjar

Despite the overwhelming negative vibe that this CD is receiving here at MR, I happen to like it a lot. I thought that the album definitely showed a more mature side of Dane lyrically. The song topics are rather poignant IMO. I'm kind of confused as to why the music is being criticized so heavily? I realize it's rather stripped down but they're still good solid enjoyable songs. To be fair, James Labrie's "Elements of Persuasion" was in no way reminiscent of a Dream Theater album (and I never expected it to be) but it was a great solid metal CD. I try to always expect a different side to an artist when they make any solo recordings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:37 pm 
It's not criticize heavily... What everybody is saying is that the songs lack the inspiration that Nevermore usually has. Not that we were expecting a Nevermore album, mind you. Just something a little more breathtaking than this mundane selection of songs.

To make it very clear, I gave it 60/100 which is (in my rating system) 10 points more than I would have given to an average album so, it's not that bad, just not as good as I wished it to be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:24 am 
Ist Krieg

I found this quite enjoyable just because of the vocals. he is one of the best in business. I think they've held back a lot of ideas on this one just to let his vocals more dominant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:39 pm 
Metal King

Raven wrote:
Despite the overwhelming negative vibe that this CD is receiving here at MR, I happen to like it a lot. I thought that the album definitely showed a more mature side of Dane lyrically. The song topics are rather poignant IMO. I'm kind of confused as to why the music is being criticized so heavily? I realize it's rather stripped down but they're still good solid enjoyable songs.

+1
I definitely disagree with the review. I find these songs vary from good to excellent, this is one of my favourite releases this year. Who cares if it's not technical or very complex or nevermoresque, there is some very beautiful music here. Good melodic metal that manages to stay dark and meaningful at the same time. Also, the review fails to mention the kick-ass covers, the Sisters Of Mercy one is even better than the original, which says a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:41 pm 
Einherjar

I liked it okay. It sounds a little too mainstream and too much like Godsmack to keep any real metal fans' attention.