Quote:
Static-X - Cannibal
Industrial Metal
Quoted: 60 / 100

Click here to see the review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:48 am 
Ist Krieg

I enjoyed the album and the review and basically agree with everything you said except for the fact that Wayne Static's voice has grown on me. This album is nowhere near amazing or groundbreaking but the band is definitely getting better and I'd put them miles ahead of any other nu-metal band.

On a side note, their live show is actually really good and is what turned me on to the band a year ago. The techno elements are taken away and the songs are heavier and more abrasive when played live.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:58 am 
Metal King

Nu-metal or industrial metal, Zad?

No offense, but this review shows someone straining not to bash a band. Rather irresponsible and ignorant writing, if you ask me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:41 am 
MetalReviews Staff

Afro Lint wrote:

No offense, but this review shows someone straining not to bash a band. Rather irresponsible and ignorant writing, if you ask me.

What? I never said they were Nu-Metal now, I said that they were survivors of the Nu-Metal scene.

And I disagree completely. My point was that it's easy to bash the band, but if you listen they're not that bad. Pity that this album has so few good songs. 60/100. What would you give it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:12 pm 
Metal King

Zad wrote:
Afro Lint wrote:

What? I never said they were Nu-Metal now, I said that they were survivors of the Nu-Metal scene.

And I disagree completely. My point was that it's easy to bash the band, but if you listen they're not that bad. Pity that this album has so few good songs. 60/100. What would you give it?

Maybe I'll have to re-read it, but yesterday it seemed like the review was full of backhanded negative comments followed by a declaration of "But I do sort of like them."

And maybe I don't get the "nu-metal survivor" comment. They really were never nu-metal. They have more in common with bands like Skrew and Drown and Monster Voodoo Machine than the nu-metal scene.

Anyway, I'd give the album a 70 out of 100, probably. I think it's very good, but I actually think where it stumbles is when they try to go for that thrashy metal style. I don't think that works. This band is best when they groove. Still a decent album, and I respect that they tried something a little different; I just think they should try to reinvent what they're great at, not try to move into a new direction.

And I hate the album cover.

Now it's cool. :dio:

Last edited by Afro Lint on Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:30 pm 
Sailor Man

Much better indeed...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:15 pm 
Metal Servant

A couple good songs, the rest seem like filler. They are nu-metal-ish in the fact that they don't have solos and a simple song structure. The music is pretty heavy and quite addictive, though, and very much "effective" at motivating you to do some crazy stuff. I listen to a lot of music while riding my bike, Static-X is one of the bands most often in my ears!