Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:48 am

Post subject: 'IRON MAIDEN To Release 'The Book Of Souls' Double Album In September (#2517)'
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:11 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

You're welcome to comment on:
Quote:
Band News - IRON MAIDEN To Release 'The Book Of Souls' Double Album In September

Published on Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:08 am
Source: Blabbermouth

Click here to read the article.

Post subject: Re: IRON MAIDEN To Release 'The Book Of Souls' Double Album
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:12 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Ridiculously excited.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:07 am 
Einherjar

Brave New World, Dance Of Death, and Final Frontier all sucked, AMOLAD wasn't bad, I'll probably end up snaring this record because I'm a completionist and have every other Maiden album including the live and compo albums but if it's anything like Final Frontier it will get one listen and never be played again.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:37 am 
Metal King

Great news ! Although Steve Harris is one of my fav songwriters, it is good to see more of collaborations. I'm interested in the 18+ minute track solely cos it is written only by Bruce.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:02 am 
Einherjar

The "epic" tracks do tend to be their best. Getting excited in spite of myself for this one so hopefully it doesn't turn out to be a major disappointment like Redeemer Of Souls was with Priest.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:45 am 
Einherjar

Was disappointed in Final Frontier, but I'll always give Maiden the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully they'll tour closer to home this time around.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:22 am 
Metal King

I think TFF was better than AMOLAD.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:43 am 
Einherjar

Not many people like AMOLAD and I don't know why. Because it doesn't really sound like Maiden? That's what I liked about it. Best thing they've done since Fear Of The Dark imo.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:42 pm 
Metal King

I like AMOLAD too. I just like TFF more mainly cos barring the title track and El Dorado, I felt the songs were better and less repetitive. You say AMOLAD was their best since FOTD. So, you too think FOTD was a good album? I always felt it was underrated and a pretty solid album.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:13 am 
Einherjar

Yeah FOTD isn't of the same calibre as NOTB, Powerslave or Seventh Son but I like it better as an album then Piece Of Mind or Somewhere In Time. Those albums have songs I like more then most of FOTD though. Aside from The Talisman I didn't get into any song from TFF. That's why I place AMOLAD way ahead of it, DoD, BNW, NPFTD, or the Blaze albums. the debut and Killers are still my favourite two Maiden albums though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:24 am 
Einherjar

I really enjoyed AMOLAD to be honest, even moreso than FOTD. The WW2 themes play really well for the band with These Colours Don't Run and The Longest day being especially fantastic. But to be fair, Maiden really hasn't released anything mind blowing in quite some time. The newer stuff is solid, prog-tinged Maiden but it just lacks the aggression and power of the classic stuff. For me, the Live in Dortmund concert in '83 (from the first Bruce tour) represents the band at it's pinnacle. Lean, hungry and powerful shit that kills from the opening riff to the final scream. That's the band/perfomance that made me love this kind of music.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:08 am 
Metal King

[quote="Thrash til' Deth"] Maiden really hasn't released anything mind blowing in quite some time. The newer stuff is solid, prog-tinged Maiden but it just lacks the aggression and power of the classic stuff. [/quote]

I agree.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:15 am 
Einherjar

That's certainly true. Have Maiden been groundbreaking at any stage though? Sure the debut and killers brought some of the punk energy to metal (a trait thrash would play on to a greater extent) and nothing like that had been heard at the time but from there they didn't really change the formula until Seventh Son when they went all synthy prog. Maiden are a fun band but I often wonder if they deserve the hero worship and praise they get almost universally from metal fans.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:59 pm 
Einherjar

It's probably a little unfair to expect lighting in a bottle from them at this point, but Maiden honestly have nothing to prove to anyone. After all, they still fill stadiums everywhere they go in the world. There's just something about their combination of music, lyrical imagery and performance that crosses language and cultural borders on a massive scale. In regards to influence, Maiden brought a new level of scope and performance matched with class musicianship and literary heft to this genre that elevated them to the god status they currently hold. They're a cornerstone band for many older fans and for musicians who have garnered high levels of respect themselves. They've earned their praise, RO, but they are definitely not above reproach if they put out poor music.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:51 pm 
Einherjar

Ok perhaps I overstepped the mark a little there. They have accomplished a great deal and I'm certainly not talking down those achievements. I do tend to be more pessimistic about pretty much everything so perhaps that's why I'm constantly questioning whether the "metal gods" really warrant the stance that disliking them is akin to heresy.