Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:00 am

Post subject: Your Musical Guilty Pleasure
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:47 am 
Einherjar

I'm sure many here have met those metalheads at a concert or record store who will tell you they only listen to the heaviest, most evil shit on the planet and would never admit to enjoying a track or two from a pop diva or a country crooner. While a scant few may be truthful, most are likely hiding a dark secret in the form of a Lady Gaga, Keith Urban or a Maroon 5. But what about you guys? What musical guilty pleasure would you be slow to honestly admit in front of your metal brethren?

Probably my guiltiest of guilties would be Vanilla Ice, which is largely due to my childhood obsession with the Ninja Turtles. That said, Ice's early stuff perfectly embodies the '80's party rap vibe replete with the fun, goofy lyrics, simple funk beats and awesomely ridic fashion style. He's coming to town next month (barring jail time for his recent burglary charges) and you can bet I'll be getting drunk as fuck while kicking it with the Iceman. Word to yo mother, bitches!

Post subject: Re: Your Musical Guilty Pleasure
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:57 am 
MetalReviews Staff

I listen to all sorts of ungrim stuff and am generally unashamed, but Iggy Azalea - Work is my current very guilty pleasure.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:32 pm 
Ist Krieg

I've admitted in conversation with Trapt to enjoying Nero a lot.

Also (Noodles mode activated), Paramore isn't bad.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:27 pm 
Ist Krieg

I don't really listen to anything outside of metal and rock.

I could get down on some rap when I was younger but I hate that shit now and I'm not black or a g-thug.

I'll listen to the radio in the car just for a change of pace but I think it's pretty fucking boring compared to the shit I like and I really wish my CD player still worked.

:dio:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:40 pm 
Ist Krieg

Nicki's new song Only is my current guilty pleasure, but that's mainly because I hate Chris Brown. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW_WA-HZEks

In the past, I've enjoyed my fair share of Katy Perry. But really I don't feel guilty about it. I dig hip hop and pop music.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:07 am 
I live with my parents!

I think good music is good music. It doesn't matter what genre. Sometimes when I'm watching the television and it's a car commercial it's usually accompanied by music and some kind of pop music which I might fancy very temporarily. I asked my sister a few days ago and she said it Maroon 5 or whatever. I liked it. I'm not going to go out and buy the album, nor youtube it, but I liked it when I heard it. That's about as far as I go with pop and rap and also country. It's not really about what the metal community expects of you to listen to. Keeping a diverse music diet is essential. However, there is so much good music out there ranging from electronica, to darkwave, alternative, classical, jazz and progressive that guilty pleasures do not mean much at all.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:09 am 
Ist Krieg

On Maroon 5, gotta say I thought that recent 'Animals' track all over the radio was exceptionally irritating. I listen to some hipsterish college station in my car and recently enjoyed Chvrches 'The Mother We Share' and Royal Blood 'Figure it Out' a lot.

I don't think guilt enters the equation at this point (I think most of us are collectively mature enough now not to give a shit what other stuff we all listen to), just that I can appreciate a little pop music more now than I used to because I approach it with much different, simpler standards.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:44 pm 
I live with my parents!

Precisely. "simplified standards" is the best way to put it. I have gotten that way, too. Just the other day I bought a Smiths album alongside with a Cure album. Both I really liked. Is it going to be as grand and complex as the usual stuff I listen to? No, it's not supposed to. Sometimes something different is what brings metal closer and closer to the heart.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:24 pm 
Metal Lord

Any Matt Corby fans on here? I've been enjoying his EP's a lot lately. If you've heard him you probably know him from this track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thSsyODDowA but i think most of his stuff is pretty good.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:42 pm 
Einherjar

North From Here wrote:
I don't think guilt enters the equation at this point (I think most of us are collectively mature enough now not to give a shit what other stuff we all listen to), just that I can appreciate a little pop music more now than I used to because I approach it with much different, simpler standards.

I think that applies to most people. For me, the "guilty" tag pops up when you have a genuine love for a band/singer whose music exists completely outside your accepted standards of quality and taste. It's not really a feeling of guilt but more a good-hearted sense of internal self-deprecation. I always have a good laugh at myself when I notice I'm bouncing along in the car to a Lady Gaga track.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:14 am 
Ist Krieg

Miley Cyrus' FU is tough for me to stomach because imo the music is great but the lyrics and name are dumb enough that I feel icky for liking it.

What do you think the difference in standards is listening to, say, extreme metal vs pop music? I used to think that when I reached for pop music I wanted something easier, simpler, and immediately accessible, but over time I've found things have changed. But a couple things have changed. First, when I listen to metal, I form opinions much quicker and in more of a 'gut reaction' way (i.e. do they have good taste in how drums/guitars/riffs/melodies/singing/screaming should sound). Gone are the days when I'd listen to something five or ten times before forming an opinion about it. Second, after hearing lots of pop music that tries and fails, or sort of succeeds, or does really well at some things but really terribly at others, I've started thinking that it's more complex than I gave it credit for. I guess I used to think it was 'easier' but now I think that most genres of music have just as many balls in the air and just as many ways to screw things up, so it's silly to think of some as simpler than others. There's just different balls in the air (altho lately also what I listen for in Metric and Taylor Swift has become p. similar to what I listen for in Orchid or Zebulon Pike. Recalibrating my mindset and ears depending on what genre I'm listening to is becoming less and less of a thing).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:35 am 
Ist Krieg

Thrash til' Deth wrote:
North From Here wrote:

I think that applies to most people. For me, the "guilty" tag pops up when you have a genuine love for a band/singer whose music exists completely outside your accepted standards of quality and taste. It's not really a feeling of guilt but more a good-hearted sense of internal self-deprecation. I always have a good laugh at myself when I notice I'm bouncing along in the car to a Lady Gaga track.

Excellent way of putting it. I just find it so funny how collectively the forum would be up in arms over admissions of liking certain popular music in the past. We were quite hilarious when we were younger.