Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:16 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 917 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 46  Next   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:01 am 
I live with my parents!

Listening habits in the last 24 hours: Ava Inferi, Deathspell Omega, Miles Davis, Ausra (France).

I really don't understand how people only listen to one genre of music. Only BM or only brutal DM. How can they do it is really beyond my grasped of reach. Maybe they're accustomed and find pleasure in only genre and one genre only which is really depressing in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:35 am 
Ist Krieg

I agree about listening to just one genre of music, although I think I could probably categorize all the music I love into two or three broad categories based on the feeling I get listening to it. For personal interest, I will now attempt to do that:

The first category is epitomized by the first minute or two of At the Drive In's Arcarsenal. It is intense, desperate and dramatic, the sound of the music becoming so energetic it seems to burst out of the musician's skin. Spasms of feeling. Included in it is stuff like The Mars Volta (De-Loused, Frances, Bedlam), Protest the Hero, These Arms Are Snakes, (earlier) Trophy Scars, Dizzy Gillespie's Afro, etc.

The next category is still intense, but it's a more subdued, graceful intensity. The emotion is there, but it is presented in a classier, more diginified way. Lyrical elegance and poignant melodies. Ice rather than fire. Warning are the most obvious example of this. Others: Neurosis, Reverend Bizarre, La Dispute, Lana del Rey, Les Miserables, The Mars Volta's Noctourniquet, and Tool would be the first names that come to mind.

The last category is epitomized by Sonny Rollins. It is music that sounds good and makes me happy. And I get the feeling that main purpose of the music is to sound good, rather than some sort of catharsis for ugly thoughts. There isn't a lot of drama or intensity to the songs, but it evokes good feelings and pleasant moods. Most of the jazz and stoner/doom-type stuff I listen to falls under this category: Taint, Zebulon Pike, Kenny Dorham, Sahg, Colour Haze, Causa Sui, Jex Thoth, etc.

After doing this I realize that there's lots of blurring between the categories but I can't think of anything that falls outside of them. Some bands even move between them... like I'd say that Opeth's first bunch of albums are category #2, while their last two are category #3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:31 am 
Ist Krieg

My favorite genre of 'music', at least over the last few years, is silence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:00 am 
I live with my parents!

Here is how I categorized my ideal music state taken from a thread I made a while ago:

Devastating, melancholic, yet hopeful. Glorious, yet not flamboyant. Melodic, yet not sacrificing in the mere fact of being solely catchy. Simple yet arrangements are complex, complex yet it seems simple at first listening. Technical, yet emotional and coherent. Dense, layered, chaotic, yet pertaining peaceful at times. Primordial yet sustaining the civilized and the sophistication. Raw, powerful and embedded with the utmost energy. The ability to transcend one to worlds beyond this earthly realm. The music that faces the cold companion of Death and strives to take one to the occult places of mystical dawns. The music that speaks to the immense nature of the human being; those reflections in the abyss that portray the inner-demons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:05 am 
I live with my parents!

emperorblackdoom wrote:

Then, you would like the "4:33" piece by John Cage. It's the duration of time mentioned of complete silence and when performed live the random ambient noise of the audience.

Why is that anyway? Are you tired of music in general because of overloading yourself with tunes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:16 am 
Ist Krieg

Define Infinity wrote:
emperorblackdoom wrote:

Then, you would like the "4:33" piece by John Cage. It's the duration of time mentioned of complete silence and when performed live the random ambient noise of the audience.

Why is that anyway? Are you tired of music in general because of overloading yourself with tunes?

Thanks for the recommendation. No, not particularly tired of music, I'm just a person that treasures the absence of noise, as much as I can get it. If I hear nothing, I'm highly unlikely to put on music...but the moment I hear something annoying the music is turned right on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:21 am 
I live with my parents!

emperorblackdoom wrote:
Define Infinity wrote:
emperorblackdoom wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation. No, not particularly tired of music, I'm just a person that treasures the absence of noise, as much as I can get it. If I hear nothing, I'm highly unlikely to put on music...but the moment I hear something annoying the music is turned right on.

Interesting and eccentric. I like it. I suppose there is source of energy in enjoying and appreciating music more in the way you have described.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:03 am 
I live with my parents!

An interview with Occult practitioner E. A. Koetting on his book "Evoking Eternity: Forbidden Rites of Evocation"

His comments on the Lef-hand-path among other things are very interesting to say the least.

http://www.occultcenter.com/2010/10/int ... _koetting/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:10 am 
I live with my parents!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNgGQDNQawk

If you ever find the patience and the time to hear this radio interview definitely do so. Very intriguing. It delves into the core of some ideologies of some BM bands today and somewhat explains the roots of the concept of "evil" "sacrifice" and the questioning of empathy and humanity from the point of view of an occult practitioner (the same person mentioned in my last post). I've only watched 40 minutes of it currently; I'm saving the rest for tomorrow sometime as it is time to sleep! I will definitely watch the whole thing and I suggest those involved and somewhat puzzled by the metaphysical question of "Satan" and the arcane in general will find something to like here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:10 pm 
Ist Krieg

Define Infinity wrote:
emperorblackdoom wrote:

If his favourite genre of music is silence, then he'd probably hate 4'33 because the point of the piece is that silence does not exist :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:23 pm 
Einherjar

Agreed, there is no such thing as silence. Even in a vaccum, you are going to hear your blood entering your inner ear canal.

:dio:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:29 pm 
I live with my parents!

Silence always exists, it exists between notes and can be found as a profound technique in Funeral Doom Metal! Also, you find silence in rare spots where it is actually deafening and haunts you and needs to be changed somehow!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:51 pm 
I live with my parents!

I wonder when The new Ihsahn album will be available on Amazon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:05 pm 
I live with my parents!

Lots of Jazz in the past few days. I do not intend to change that any time soon. Maybe it'll be like how it was for Classical music. It lasted for more than 2 years (and I mean it was all Classical).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:28 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Circus Maximus have just announced a new single. Released 27th of April! It´s called Reach Within. Can´t wait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:05 pm 
Ist Krieg

Anyone have any thoughts on late Coltrane like Kulu Se Mama, Meditations or Expressions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:05 pm 
Ist Krieg

My only experience with late Coltrane is simulistening Ascension when I was a jazz noob and not getting it at all. My jazz tastes still haven't moved beyond 1960. Maybe someday (although lately they've jumped back from mid 50s to the 30s, so it might take a while.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:28 pm 
I live with my parents!

Right now, I'm exploring Miles Davis's mid to late 50's through to 1971. Brilliant and timeless stuff (needn't to say!). In terms of Coltrane, I've been exploring Blue Train and Thel Monk's Monk's Dream. If you guys like progressive rock with Avant-Garde and unorthodox melodies and patterns, check out Soft Machine. Stefan recommended them to me last night and they're GREAT!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:04 pm 
I live with my parents!

National Health for more outstanding progressive rock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:54 am 
Ist Krieg

I really like this song but never really got into the Soft Machine's albums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf059AHh4xs

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 917 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 46  Next